Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2012 RT that has the passenger air bag blown & my question is do I repair or replace the dashpad? I'm sure there are many on here that have been faced with this same issue & I would like to hear what you've done to remedy it. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've got a 2012 RT that has the passenger air bag blown & my question is do I repair or replace the dashpad? I'm sure there are many on here that have been faced with this same issue & I would like to hear what you've done to remedy it. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I'd say replace, but what makes you so sure there are "many on here who have faced this problem"?

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
How would you fix it? Isn't the material ripped where the airbag blew thru?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is ripped but many people like my self that's had motorcycles or four wheelers have had a tore seat that's been repaired by a upholstery shop. The way it's ripped puts in mind of the way they look when ripped. So I assume it's something similar that can be repaired. It looks like a major job & very expensive to replace that dash pad.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Put a big ass screen where the air bag use to be.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
i would like to know how to pull dash for future reference,In case of a crack, or rattle or what ever the future holds.You may be able to use some plastic epoxy,then spray upholstery dye,over the whole thing,the spray dyes work good on hard plastic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wasn't there a issue where the square shape of the airbag was causing a raised spot on the dash? I remember a lot of complaints about that too but can't remember the remedy. I really dread pulling the dash. Regardless of what I do I'm putting a new bag in so I guess it'll have to be pulled anyways. I haven't taken a good look yet but I just assumed you could replace the air bag through the glove box. Has anyone looked at a new dash? It's like a grand or more. That's a pretty hefty price that if all possible I'd like to avoid paying that kinda coin. So far outta all the parts I've replaced on my front end from damage I haven't spent over $230 on a single part which was a speedlogix bumper enforcement.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
A wrecking yard would be a good source,if they don't have one,most have part finder services,and ship them from other yards.Once you have the dash,you could tell how it is fastened in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts