Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i was cruising thru a parking lot when my 2012 sxt stalled out suddenly. It leaked a bit of fuel from the lower center of the engine bay but I could not see where exactly.

The fuel also seems to leak a bit every time i take the challenger from the ‘off’ position to the ‘run’ position. but again i can’t find the exact source or line that had burst. can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,073 Posts
Pull it up on some ramps or Jack the front end up and put it on a couple jacks stands. Get it high enough off the ground for you to crawl under there and start inspecting the fuel line that runs from the fuel tank to the engine fuel rail.

It’s a mostly metal line, so maybe you ran over something and punctured it somehow. The line should come up from underside of car on passenger side of the firewall at back of engine and then get routed to the fuel rail.

Visually or manually inspect every inch of it from mid-cabin forward. You should be able to locate the leak one way or another.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
Could be the fuel supply line connection. Use the online chilton manual to help you identify the fuel routing but it will most likely be faster to trace the actual leak.
Gesture Automotive design Parallel Drawing Human leg

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Uh, gas is flammable, so I'd be concerned the car could go up in flames at any second. I'd have it towed to a dealer and have it fixed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey fellas thanks for the responses, I have found the culprit to be this white cap, where the white tape is , i grabbed at the tape and it started breaking apart.

Is it safe for me to remove this white cap without any spillage? Just want to double check for safety purposes.

Red Wings thank you for the suggestion but we live in different worlds, the dealership will straight up rob & send you away if our problems are beyond level 1 complexity.

The collective knowledge here is better and cheaper, unless youre too busy making buckets of cash you may as well do your own work.

Pics
Automotive exterior Auto part Gas Electrical wiring Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Hood

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
That is a known problem part on the NAG1 trans. The wire bundle goes into the transmission there, and over time it will fill with transmission fluid and cause issues with the functionality those wires carry.

The part itself is not very much, but I’m trying to remember what the replacement procedure is like. I haven’t done it, but I’ve read about it several times. I don’t think it’s too bad to do, but check YouTube for “NAG1 leaking plug” or something similar, and I bet you’ll find some videos that will walk you through the procedure pretty quick.

That still leaves the question of a gasoline leak though. Nothing but automatic transmission fluid (ATF+4) should be leaking from that plug. Its color will vary from dark red to brown to black, depending on how many miles it has been in the transmission and if it’s ever been overheated. Even still, it shouldn’t resemble gasoline in color, odor, or viscosity.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info, thanks!

After more observing the gas seems to pool below the top left corner outside of the transmission, opposite side from the wire bundle. I can smell it in the engine bay only, i will set up some cameras and see if i can get any closer.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
Great info, thanks!

After more observing the gas seems to pool below the top left corner outside of the transmission, opposite side from the wire bundle. I can smell it in the engine bay only, i will set up some cameras and see if i can get any closer.
Probably the connection to the fuel rail. Check out the chiltons online manual link I posted earlier. You should be able to locate the leak without starting the car as the fuel pump energizes with KOEO (Key On Engine Off).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Hey fellas thanks for the responses, I have found the culprit to be this white cap, where the white tape is , i grabbed at the tape and it started breaking apart.

Is it safe for me to remove this white cap without any spillage? Just want to double check for safety purposes.

Red Wings thank you for the suggestion but we live in different worlds, the dealership will straight up rob & send you away if our problems are beyond level 1 complexity.

The collective knowledge here is better and cheaper, unless youre too busy making buckets of cash you may as well do your own work.

Pics
So, how much is it to replace the car if it burns to the ground?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
Speaking of burning to the ground...so last year I was driving my Jeep Liberty with a weedwacker my co-worker was having trouble with in the back. On the way home from work I smelled gas and was like oh that dam weedwacker...until I noticed my 6 mile trip from work to home used up a 1/4 of a tank!! Turns out my quick connect joint between the fuel filter (just above the rear axle pumpkin) was spraying fuel everywhere. Man, did I get lucky on that one. To trace the leak I just turn the ignition to run to cycle the pump (outside and at the end of the driveway and extinguisher in hand) and looked for where the fuel was coming from. Probably not the best method but now I wonder how would a shop would trace a fuel leak?

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
quick connect joint between the fuel filter (just above the rear axle pumpkin) was spraying fuel everywhere.
Does the liberty have a frame mounted fuel filter like the post-2011 RAM Diesel pickups??

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
Does the liberty have a frame mounted fuel filter like the post-2011 RAM Diesel pickups??
IIRC the plastic fuel filter does mount to the chassis near the front and top of the tank. Since my liberty's chassis has seen a lot of Chicago winters, the steel is so corroded that 1) you need a tetanus shot to work under the chassis otherwise you may find yourself tight lipped and 2) you need an air chisel to snap off the rusted fasteners as sockets will just chew them to the point of insanity followed by a curse-fest lasting more than 15 minutes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok great, yep you were right it was the fuel rail connection, it has a green tab and the omega symbol printed on it. I took it apart a second again and got a mouthful of gas..! There is another hose with the same color lime green tab, i suppose that one will gush out oil when disconnected?

I was also wondering if I can remove the oil filter cooler, the square aluminum container beneath intake manifold??

This last breakdown has elevated the challengers status and she hits 80 mph instead of 60, and the RPMs behavior has flip-flopped, as now she will not Rev above 2000-3000, previously she did 4000 RPM to hit 60 mph, and if i kept it up she would go 70 mph at 5000 RPM.

Shes also evolved the automatic ECO and applies it between gears. Crazy , but i love her :)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
Whenever you work on the fuel system (usually at +50psi) you should remove the fuel pump fuse and relay, then crank the engine over a couple of times to depressurize the system. I can't help with the rest as I am not familiar with the 6 cylinder engine.

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
There is another hose with the same color lime green tab, i suppose that one will gush out oil when disconnected?
There are not any separate lines carrying engine oil running outside of the engine, and the identical tab color to the fuel line sound like this is one is also a fuel line. Post up a picture if you can to verify.

I was also wondering if I can remove the oil filter cooler, the square aluminum container beneath intake manifold??
You can remove it to replace it in the event it is leaking, but you cannot remove it and operate the engine without it in place.

This last breakdown has elevated the challengers status and she hits 80 mph instead of 60, and the RPMs behavior has flip-flopped, as now she will not Rev above 2000-3000, previously she did 4000 RPM to hit 60 mph, and if i kept it up she would go 70 mph at 5000 RPM.
Not sure what you are describing here. Capture the behavior on video and share that out so we can see it for ourselves.

Shes also evolved the automatic ECO and applies it between gears.
That ECO indicator is just supposed to indicate when the engine is operating at its most efficient. It honestly doesn't serve much of a useful purpose in my opinion, and it can be turned off IIRC. Disabling it will have no affect on the engine's operation, it just stops the light from coming on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts