Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
Any Hemi engine that has metal fillings in the oil control solenoid (VCT solenoid) is finished. Replacing a camshaft and lifters in an engine with metal fillings in the VCT solenoid is only a temporary fix, it will fail again.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
I would look at a short block. I did a while back and they were kind of scarce.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you so much everyone for all the helpful advice you guys are beyond awesome ! The car is drivable just the check engine light is on . About a month ago The dealership told me to run premium gas instead of midgrade and hit high rpms to clean out the inside and the car got Shaky with a blinking check engine light for about 2 seconds that went away . Other than that it drives fine but gas mileage seems to have slightly decreased

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,762 Posts
I believe that's for the 6.4 only. The 5.7 can be repaired.
Why would it be specific to the 6.4? The 5.7 shares not only the same components but same basic block design as the 6.4...except for bore/stroke, oil squirters. Unless it is a decision internal to FCA?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,197 Posts
Thank you so much everyone for all the helpful advice you guys are beyond awesome ! The car is drivable just the check engine light is on . About a month ago The dealership told me to run premium gas instead of midgrade and hit high rpms to clean out the inside and the car got Shaky with a blinking check engine light for about 2 seconds that went away . Other than that it drives fine but gas mileage seems to have slightly decreased
It appears you are getting conflicting signals from the dealer/service. On one hand the engine needs some serious internal work for which you received a quote for this but on the other hand you were told to run premium gasoline and hit high RPMs (IOWs give the engine a blacktop tune up).

Upon what did the dealer service department justify the engine work? Is there a CEL on? Did an oil analysis find metal in the oil? Did a compression test find one or more low cylinders?

Not to put too fine a point on it but premium gasoline and hard running are not alternatives for an engine that (really) needs new cam/lifters/etc.

If the cam/lifters/et al area healthy it is entirely possible the engine could benefit from some high detergent gasoline even some Techron added to the tank to help remove fuel system (mainly injector tips) and combustion chamber deposits.

Hard running even ( my experience just normal running at freeway speeds for a distance (~40 miles) ) can make a positive difference in how the engine runs.

Hard running even if not done all the time can really impact gas mileage. One hard application of the throttle for any length of time/distance can really impact gas mileage even if one drives sedately at all other times.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why would it be specific to the 6.4? The 5.7 shares not only the same components but same basic block design as the 6.4...except for bore/stroke, oil squirters. Unless it is a decision internal to FCA?
The MOPAR tech (in the YT clip) says that it has something to do with 6.4 tolerances. This kind of failure is caused by improper break-in and excessive heat. Now, I have read that 2016 and up models received updated lifters to help prevent lifter/cam lobe failures. The worst thing you can do with any engine, is to run it hard without first letting it reach operating temperature. I don't put my Challenger into Drive mode, until the oil hits 160*. Raising the idle speed to 1000 RPM would increase oil circulation throughout the engine, at idle. I've heard of windage tray mods, though I think if this were required, MOPAR would have made the necessary changes. I haven't heard of this issue with the 6.1 HEMI. No MDS there, but some say that MDS has nothing to do with it, so I don't know? These engines run hot to begin with, especially the 6.4 HEMI. When you consider the low rate of failure, it leads me to think that some people are beating the shit out of the engine, and this is the result.

Oh, ok Yonko.
:cry: :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,695 Posts
Doesn't mention which engines

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
Thanks for posting that STAR bulletin. I don't remember when it came out, but I have been using the check for metal fillings test for at least a couple of years.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Doesn't mention which engines

A Guy
I believe that bulletin is describing the condition only. Whenever I read or hear about a HEMI engine swap for this type of failure, it's always a 392. 345 failures are usually lifter/cam repair only. 392 failures also seem to include damaged cam and crank bearings as well. Never have I heard of a 345 requiring new bearings with a cam/lifter repair. I don't care... I'm getting a 392 HEMI. I know exactly what is required to maintain a healthy engine. If something fails, warranty will cover it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe that bulletin is describing the condition only. Whenever I read or hear about a HEMI engine swap for this type of failure, it's always a 392. 345 failures are usually lifter/cam repair only. 392 failures also seem to include damaged cam and crank bearings as well. Never have I heard of a 345 requiring new bearings with a cam/lifter repair. I don't care... I'm getting a 392 HEMI. I know exactly what is required to maintain a healthy engine. If something fails, warranty will cover it.
My 2010 R/T Classic had 3 lifters fail and cause abnormal wear on the cam. I have a lifetime warranty on the car (thanks Luke) and Chrysler is dropping a long block in it because they are concerned about metal in the system. The car is at Hendrick Dodge now waiting on the engine to come in so they will swap out a 345 block for lifter and cam failures.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My 2010 R/T Classic had 3 lifters fail and cause abnormal wear on the cam. I have a lifetime warranty on the car (thanks Luke) and Chrysler is dropping a long block in it because they are concerned about metal in the system. The car is at Hendrick Dodge now waiting on the engine to come in so they will swap out a 345 block for lifter and cam failures.
I wish I lived near a dealership like Steve White Motors. Our local Dodge dealers are pathetic.

People hear of a few failures and assume this is a systemic problem... It's not! The vast majority of 392 engines are rock-solid! As I said before, I think the cause of failure is abuse. Your 345 is a 2010, so I'll assume you've racked-up a lot of miles.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts