Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 Challenger Rt manual with a few mods (cold air intake, long headers, throttle body upgrade and Diablo tuner) produces 450-460 hp. Clutch needs replaced. My question is, are the performances clutches worth the money for my set up? Should I stay with OE? l don’t plan on doing more mods anytime soon. What ste some good brands to go with?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
At that power level the stock clutch should be fine, the 5.7 and the 6.4 share the same clutch and flywheel combo. The hellcat clutch is a bigger diameter to hold more power, however it is about 5lbs heavier so it would rev slower.

If you want an aftermarket upgrade to help the car rev faster look for a lighter flywheel and make sure you delete the delay valve so the next clutch lasts longer. Just be prepared to launch at higher rpm as the lighter flywheel does not hold as much momentum and we have some heavy @$$ cars to try to launch smoothly with a manual trans.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did a big write up on installing the Holley Dragon Claw clutch; if you have a chance look it up. The factory piece is heavy and the inner disk is riveted in, so it cannot be changed. If I remember its ~$900 dealer. The lower flywheel weight requires you to use more rpm's to get moving. At the track you do not blow off the wheels either. So figure out what you really want for the flywheel, it's weight affects low speed performance and how it handles traffic.

Mine has two bronze disks; and for NYC traffic its a major league do not go there. You really want a composite disk material if you drive in any traffic at all.

Local track requires a scatter shield, so check before you lay down the bucks.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I can tell you that I’ve used a McCleod RST. & RXT and both did not last due to the weight of our cars. I went back to a $500 factory setup and still have it in my car after 50k miles of driving and many nitrous passes at the track. Best 60 with the McCleod was a 1.65, best with stock setup was a 1.66. Not worth the extra 1k for the McCleod IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can tell you why: The stock clutch engages at lower RPM and has better wear characteristics at lower rpm. Try shifting at 6k RPM and you will see and hear the difference, along with seeing it in your time slips. Its all about how you drive, harsh or sane.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I actually shift at 7k rpms when at the track (custom cam and valve train). My times were consistent 11.7x’s. The stock clutch worked quite well. I just have different needs for my application which is why I’m going with a Monster triple disc setup this go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6.4Mike

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
I can tell you why: The stock clutch engages at lower RPM and has better wear characteristics at lower rpm. Try shifting at 6k RPM and you will see and hear the difference, along with seeing it in your time slips. Its all about how you drive, harsh or sane.
Which option is best for "insane"?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Wondering this myself in my 15' with 98k miles

MMX offers these clutch kits at great prices as takeoffs from brand new crate motors. The hellcat clutch and slave cylinder can be had for around $800

Factory clutch has lasted me this long between learning stick shift, racing, and abuse

·
Registered
235 Posts
I upgraded my Scat Pack clutch to the Hellcat clutch. It is a noticeable difference in feel. Clutch is slightly heavier, but engages a lot more smoothly compared to the stock Scat Pack Clutch. MMX has them for $650 which is a steal.

Reactions: 6.4Mike

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I upgraded my Scat Pack clutch to the Hellcat clutch. It is a noticeable difference in feel. Clutch is slightly heavier, but engages a lot more smoothly compared to the stock Scat Pack Clutch. MMX has them for $650 which is a steal.
Curious if you feel the car has any less torque?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Curious if you feel the car has any less torque?
I did so many upgrades, it's hard to tell. I lost compression when I changed to forged pistons, so the car isn't the same as before. I will say that the driveline lash is reduced with the Hellcat Clutch. It grabs smoother and shifts (IMO) easier compared to the Scat Pack clutch. Granted the old clutch was pretty worn (58k miles), but still had life in it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I did so many upgrades, it's hard to tell. I lost compression when I changed to forged pistons, so the car isn't the same as before. I will say that the driveline lash is reduced with the Hellcat Clutch. It grabs smoother and shifts (IMO) easier compared to the Scat Pack clutch. Granted the old clutch was pretty worn (58k miles), but still had life in it.
Thanks for that

I'll probably spring for that hellcat clutch then, I do get a lot of that "slap" even when I go into gear as smoothly as possible

Can we just take a moment to appreciate 98k good miles on my factory clutch? Haha

No modifications to install that sucker in?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for that

I'll probably spring for that hellcat clutch then, I do get a lot of that "slap" even when I go into gear as smoothly as possible

Can we just take a moment to appreciate 98k good miles on my factory clutch? Haha

No modifications to install that sucker in?
No mods needed. Goes right in. Replace the slave cylinder while you are in there. Two bolts and a clip to get the slave cylinder out.

·
Registered
2012 RT - 426 - 630HP/606TQ
16 Posts
I'd go with the stock Hellcat clutch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
i agree. I did the hellcat clutch recently on my 426. Purchased from modern muscle for $699.
Checked balance and it was near perfect at 3 grams (but I zeroed it as long as I was there)
Super smooth engage, shift and dis-engage -hooks great and power shifts perfectly at 6900 RPM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts