Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, wondering if anyone has replaced the resonators but kept the factory mid mufflers. I don't want to make the exhaust louder, but just looking for a deeper throatier tone.

I installed Vibrant 1794s in place of the mid mufflers, but it's too loud for my liking. How will it sound if i reinstall the factory mid mufflers, but put the Vibrants in place of the OEM resonators?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Exhaust "tone" is controlled by the mid mufflers. Exhaust "volume" is controlled by the resonators. Based on your goal, the stock resonators should stay and the mid mufflers should change. Look into mufflers that will give you that throaty sound like Flowmaster 44's, Dynomax Ultraflow, or the Magnaflow 4x9 straight-through mufflers.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I've read the opposite though...resonators to control tone/drone and mufflers for volume. So much info out there hard to tell what's what

Exhaust "tone" is controlled by the mid mufflers. Exhaust "volume" is controlled by the resonators. Based on your goal, the stock resonators should stay and the mid mufflers should change. Look into mufflers that will give you that throaty sound like Flowmaster 44's, Dynomax Ultraflow, or the Magnaflow 4x9 straight-through mufflers.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I want to keep the OEM mid mufflers, and perhaps magnaflow or flowmasters on the back end. Seems like everyone replaced the mid mufflers, with straight pipe or something else and then it's hard to compare apples to apples. I understand why they did that. The response has always been "I want just a bit more sound."

From my past experiences on other cars, I spent $500-$600 on an exhaust only to have friends tell me....WTF, sounds almost the same.

They are right, but that's sort of exactly what I'm looking for. Sounds like stock, until I gun it. All other "louder" set up creates drone that will bother me 8 months later and I want to try something else.

I did plan on it this year, but the lockdown thing, has put a damper on that "good feeling" when it comes to mods. I have 3 cars. Now, I kind of feel that's 2 cars too much. I fueled up only on once since late Feb - only to take advantage of the cheap prices.

This does not help you. sorry, but just my story.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya. I actually replaced my mod mufflers on Wednesday and its just too loud for daily driving and the drone is really bad, so I'm going to out the factory mufflers back on to get the volume down. Wondering if swapping the resonators will help with a deeper tone without being too loud

I want to keep the OEM mid mufflers, and perhaps magnaflow or flowmasters on the back end. Seems like everyone replaced the mid mufflers, with straight pipe or something else and then it's hard to compare apples to apples. I understand why they did that. The response has always been "I want just a bit more sound."

From my past experiences on other cars, I spent $500-$600 on an exhaust only to have friends tell me....WTF, sounds almost the same.

They are right, but that's sort of exactly what I'm looking for. Sounds like stock, until I gun it. All other "louder" set up creates drone that will bother me 8 months later and I want to try something else.

I did plan on it this year, but the lockdown thing, has put a damper on that "good feeling" when it comes to mods. I have 3 cars. Now, I kind of feel that's 2 cars too much. I fueled up only on once since late Feb - only to take advantage of the cheap prices.

This does not help you. sorry, but just my story.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,512 Posts
My experience has been mid muffler delete increased exhaust volume but also moved the cabin noise to the rear of the car. Tone is also more raspy. Removing the resonators made drone unbearable at cruise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Compare the stock mid mufflers with aftermarket options and you'll see that Dodge used undersized straight-through mids. The resonators were meant to tune the sound and drone. I characterize the stock sound as "trumpety", not deep throated. For a deeper, "throatier" sound you need a mid muffler with a bigger casing. Besides a bigger case, you need to choose between a chambered design or a straight-through design. Chambered designs meaning Flowmaster 44's or Super 40's, straight-through like the Dynomax Ultraflows and Magnaflows.

I replaced my mid mufflers with Flowmaster Delta 40's and left my resonators in place. I wanted to quieter than stock because the drone from the stock exhaust was tiresome after commuting about an hour per day. The Delta 40's are the mildest version from their "aggressive" category, the Super 44's are the 2nd most aggressive. They have a large casing that would produce a deep, throaty sound.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
472 Posts
I've read so much about this drone on here, but does anyone have any video of the actual sound? And it is a sound right not a vibration in the vehicle? Is it possible to tune out the sound with the radio?

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
472 Posts
Drone is like a low frequency hum. Recording it won't capture how mind numbing it can be.
Interesting, I never drive without the radio on quite high so I wonder if that would be enough to not notice it. Have people with the v6s had the same issue?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Drone on the V6 with resonator delete is a given unless you have J-Pipes. Those with higher trim and manual transmissions can often modulate with gear selection to keep it out of the drone rpms. Severe drone is not just audible, but will rattle everything. If your V6 does have minimal drone, cranking the stereo may be sufficient ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
As the title says, wondering if anyone has replaced the resonators but kept the factory mid mufflers. I don't want to make the exhaust louder, but just looking for a deeper throatier tone.
Then keep the factory resonators.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
861 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've read the opposite though...resonators to control tone/drone and mufflers for volume. So much info out there hard to tell what's what

I wouldnt delete the resonators. If you want something louder or more tone check out youtube and listen to these https://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-24250-Race-Bullet-Muffler/dp/B007ISYE1I
Or as mentioned, another brand of muffler like Flowmaster, Borla, etc..

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Personally, for the V6, I think the stock exhaust is the best sound you'll get. I know it's quiet, but it still sounds really good without the typical raspy sound of an aftermarket setup. JMHO

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've read so much about this drone on here, but does anyone have any video of the actual sound? And it is a sound right not a vibration in the vehicle? Is it possible to tune out the sound with the radio?
I have a Flowmaster Force II exhaust that consists of Super 44 Mid’s and Flowmasters own resonators at the back. I removed the resonators once (tried it with nothing back there and also with some straight through glass packs in their place) and I discovered what the “drone” was. To me, between 1500 and 2500 rpm the car sounded like a giant vacuum cleaner. Yeah, it was “louder” in the car (which is what I wanted) but it didn’t sound pleasing at all to me. (It did sound GREAT outside the car though.) So the resonators went back on.
So then I swapped out the Super 44’s for Super 10’s - supposed to be super loud - and left the resonators on. It really didn’t change it at all. I almost think it is QUIETER. More $$ to the muffler shop for really no change. Oh well.
But now I’ve decided invest a bunch of money in a car stereo so I figure a quieter exhaust is probably better anyway for enjoying the music so I guess I’m done messing it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts