Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after removing my door panels a few times for audio-related upgrades (which also involves removing the door lock pins to make it easier), I've found that I must have tightened the door lock pins a little too much and actually created new threads on the inside of the plastic OEM pins, causing the pins to be lower than they should be (when locked, you can barely grab them).

So... I'm looking for some decent aluminum aftermarket pins. Would prefer to stay with the natural aluminum color (like OEM color) or maybe a black pin with aluminum edges or something (don't want pure black). I've seen some on EBay for about $20 or $30, but just curious what others have used....

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Get some from billet technologies

You will wait a while but they are nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
385 Posts
I made a cast of mine and used resin and dye. Other than that you can buy the overprices ones you find on Challenger accessory sites. Or anything that has a 10-24 internal thread.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
Pricey ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

A Guy
Believe it or not, I actually ended up ordering those exact same $29.99 Ebay versions yesterday. Between the bad reviews of the billettechnologies and the super-long wait times, I decided against those. Some others were CRAZY prices (not willing to pay over $100 for 2 door lock pins!). The Ebay ones with the aluminum "collars" seemed to be about the best option for what I was looking for.

I'll report back what I think about them after they arrive....

Thanks for all of the input everyone.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I bought the exact same ones.
This is the place that makes them

I had to retap them to work and ended up throwing them away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
here are my body color match Billet bought my locks from Brothers design
Vehicle door Yellow Car Vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason that I avoided the billettechnoligies versions were because of the two latest reviews on their site:

==================================

Too short and took extremely long April 23, 2019 Reviewer: Philip Wells from Hurst, TX United States The set was initially ordered 12/11/18 with an expected build time of three-four weeks. After two months of silence, I reached out to be kindly greeted and told they would be another short period of build per their specialized process. I was fine with waiting. I finally received the items, only to find that they are too short!! After putting in the bezel (which is too large and have to sand down the original hole) the pin is too short and will not go above after connecting to the door lock rod inside the panel. I now have to find and rig some type of extension or might even just revert back to the original set of pins. Extremely disappointed. (Hi Phillip. We are going to reach out to you and see what we can do to help assist you with the issues you are haivng. Your friends at Team BT April 23, 2019)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Horrible quality May 22, 2018Reviewer: Russell Pedigo from Cave City, KY United States Just got my lock kit in today. If you love to hear the sound of metal scraping everytime they lock and unlock. These locks are way shorter then the stock parts so they hit the metal bezel in the lock position making a noise plus scrap going the hole way up and down. Waited over a month to get them. Very dissapointed will not order anything else from this company. Just hope the catch can that I've also been waiting for for over a month and just now getting painted is better. (Hi Russell we are reaching out to you via phone and email to help correct any problem you may have. Thank you Team BT)

===================================

Those latest reviews didn't exactly make me feel good about ordering them. :) I can handle the wait time, but when combined with the poor reviews, it kind of put me off... It may depend on exactly which version you get too though - they have multiple versions.

So if the UPR versions don't fit out of the box, I'll return them and look for something else (I'm not going to attempt to re-tap them to fit). We'll see soon enough. Will definitely follow-up when I get them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The reason that I avoided the billettechnoligies versions were because of the two latest reviews on their site:

==================================

Too short and took extremely long April 23, 2019 Reviewer: Philip Wells from Hurst, TX United States The set was initially ordered 12/11/18 with an expected build time of three-four weeks. After two months of silence, I reached out to be kindly greeted and told they would be another short period of build per their specialized process. I was fine with waiting. I finally received the items, only to find that they are too short!! After putting in the bezel (which is too large and have to sand down the original hole) the pin is too short and will not go above after connecting to the door lock rod inside the panel. I now have to find and rig some type of extension or might even just revert back to the original set of pins. Extremely disappointed. (Hi Phillip. We are going to reach out to you and see what we can do to help assist you with the issues you are haivng. Your friends at Team BT April 23, 2019)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Horrible quality May 22, 2018Reviewer: Russell Pedigo from Cave City, KY United States Just got my lock kit in today. If you love to hear the sound of metal scraping everytime they lock and unlock. These locks are way shorter then the stock parts so they hit the metal bezel in the lock position making a noise plus scrap going the hole way up and down. Waited over a month to get them. Very dissapointed will not order anything else from this company. Just hope the catch can that I've also been waiting for for over a month and just now getting painted is better. (Hi Russell we are reaching out to you via phone and email to help correct any problem you may have. Thank you Team BT)

===================================

Those latest reviews didn't exactly make me feel good about ordering them. :) I can handle the wait time, but when combined with the poor reviews, it kind of put me off... It may depend on exactly which version you get too though - they have multiple versions.

So if the UPR versions don't fit out of the box, I'll return them and look for something else (I'm not going to attempt to re-tap them to fit). We'll see soon enough. Will definitely follow-up when I get them.
I’ve gone through BT for my 08 Charger, they do solid work and if they screw something up they definitely make up for it. They did a custom badge for me that ended up taking months and because of the wait they gave me the engine bay dress up package for the trouble. They’re good people, at least in my past experiences.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, as already stated by @us1champ, the door lock pin kit from EBay (UPR Products) does not work. Not only are the threads different, but they are too short as well. You can screw them on enough to hold them on, but then you run into issues where they pull the stock black "ring" up when you unlock the doors, because the tp part is too "fat". If you use the new aluminum rings they provide you, they the doors don't even lock properly at all. Complete fail.

So yeah, definitely avoid them! I will be returning them and then researching a little more to decide what to try next. :) I'm NOT willing to pay over $100 for two door lock pins - just not woth that much to me. I'd just replace the stock ones before I did that.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
385 Posts

I still have the molds I made and plenty of resin and twenty or so colors of dye. I could make you a set or two for only $97, think of the savings. :p But seriously. Only two real draw backs, if you stripped the plastic ones there is a chance you could strip the resin as well. And two, being so small the resin takes a while to fully cure.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,514 Posts
View attachment 1007222

I still have the molds I made and plenty of resin and twenty or so colors of dye. I could make you a set or two for only $97, think of the savings. :p But seriously. Only two real draw backs, if you stripped the plastic ones there is a chance you could strip the resin as well. And two, being so small the resin takes a while to fully cure.
I don't know about $97 but you could sell these for sure.....

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
View attachment 1007222

Whoa!

Purple seat belts? Where did you get them? How incredibly difficult were they to install?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 1007222

I still have the molds I made and plenty of resin and twenty or so colors of dye. I could make you a set or two for only $97, think of the savings. But seriously. Only two real draw backs, if you stripped the plastic ones there is a chance you could strip the resin as well. And two, being so small the resin takes a while to fully cure.
Thanks for the offer - I really do appreciate it! However, I'm kind of looking for some metallic versions instead of plastic. I also like the color of aluminum - not looking to color-match them to my body color like some have done.

But again, thank you very much for the offer - I appreciate it. I may just end up getting new versions of the OEM ones. They at least look metallic and are only like $11 each. I just learned not to over-tighten them when re-installing them. :)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I decided to just replace mine with new OEM versions. However, it seems that you can't buy just the lock pins themselves anymore! You have to buy the door lock pin and the rod it's attached to inside the door - it's all sold as one single piece now.

Thankfully, they are still dirt cheap though. I paid like $12 for each side.

Here are the part numbers if anyone stumbles upon this in the future:

Part Number Part Name Price
5UV45SZ6AB Door Latch Knob And Link, Left $11.36
5UV44SZ6AB Door Latch Knob And Link, Right $11.36

There is a left and a right since the lock rod is different for each side.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
385 Posts
Also, if you are cheaper than that. Salvage yards. If memory serves they are the same pin on the Charger and 300 as well so that increases your odds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts