Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for some advice on a replacement motor for my 2012 challenger r/t manual transmission.
Will the Mopar performance crate motor part # 68303088 AA work for this car?
What if any modification would be needed to make this work.
I’ve experienced catastrophic failure of the motor so the existing long block is junk and not rebuildable.

Phil

·
Super Moderator
14,463 Posts
it appears that it would be the same. That is a long block assembly, so it includes heads.

As long as it has VVT, then it should be the same as your original engine

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I’m looking for some advice on a replacement motor for my 2012 challenger r/t manual transmission.
I’ve experienced catastrophic failure of the motor so the existing long block is junk and not rebuildable.

Phil

According to the info at Summit Racing,

"This Mopar Performance 68303088AA crate engine is a stock replacement engine an will have the same factory specs as a 2008 to 2018 5.7L engine."

Link:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-68303088aa

This does not say the engine will work as a drop in replacement, however. While it may physically fit with no issues whether for example the existing engine controller/sensors are compatible with the engine you'll have to I guess ask Summit Racing.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts

Phil

"This Mopar Performance 68303088AA crate engine is a stock replacement engine an will have the same factory specs as a 2008 to 2018 5.7L engine."

Link:

This does not say the engine will work as a drop in replacement, however. While it may physically fit with no issues whether for example the existing engine controller/sensors are compatible with the engine you'll have to I guess ask Summit Racing.
Yeah, one thing that comes to mind along those lines is the EGR setup on the crate engine - does it have one, if so how to handle that in the car’s (no-EGR) setup, etc.

I’m sure there are others, but that’s the one that pops in my head first.

·
Super Moderator
14,463 Posts
Yeah, one thing that comes to mind along those lines is the EGR setup on the crate engine - does it have one, if so how to handle that in the car’s (no-EGR) setup, etc.

I’m sure there are others, but that’s the one that pops in my head first.
The Eagle 5.7 '09+ doesn't have EGR.

VVT cleaned up emissions so much that EGR wasn't needed. The '03 - '08 5.7s had EGR as well as the early years of the SRT 6.1 ('05-'07?)

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Reading through the responses Summit have to various questions about the engine, it sounds like the engine is a 2015+ model. I dont know what, if anything, changed on the 5.7L from 2012 to 2015, but if there were only a few minor differences between the 2, it should work in the OP’s 2012.

(EGR issue doesn’t apply after all due to both engine and car being originally produced using VVT in place of EGR.)

·
Vendor
11,828 Posts

Link:

not quite true, thats a non MDS engine meant for pro touring and resto mod, however it is a current build, so latest and greatest, the issue with installing in a pre 2014 is the tone ring, different tone ring which can be a huge issue, much better to replace with a Mopar long block assembly if you have a failure and probably much cheaper
Luke

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
not quite true, thats a non MDS engine meant for pro touring and resto mod, however it is a current build, so latest and greatest, the issue with installing in a pre 2014 is the tone ring, different tone ring which can be a huge issue, much better to replace with a Mopar long block assembly if you have a failure and probably much cheaper
Luke

I was under the impression the engine in question was the factory replacement engine for what shipped in the cars from the factory.

If not then my recommendation would similar to yours. Get a factory stock replacement engine (aka a Mopar long block assembly) which should not just not only physically drop in but connect to the car's engine controller and the rest of the car's electrical system and require the least amount of messing around to get running just the factory engine the car came with originally.

·
Vendor
11,828 Posts
2013 to 2014 there was a tone ring change, which is a pretty serious issue when trying to install a 2014 or newer engine in a pre 14 car
Luke

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
2013 to 2014 there was a tone ring change, which is a pretty serious issue when trying to install a 2014 or newer engine in a pre 14 car
Luke
I hear "tone ring" and I think of the rear-end. I guess I was not aware these engines had such hardware on them. Would you happen to have a link to any online literature I could read to enlighten me further on the Hemi's tone ring?

·
Vendor
11,828 Posts
I hear "tone ring" and I think of the rear-end. I guess I was not aware these engines had such hardware on them. Would you happen to have a link to any online literature I could read to enlighten me further on the Hemi's tone ring?
nothing to speak of

]

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Is that the hootus that the Crankshaft Position Sensor keys on when sending its signals on down the line to the PCM?

I’m envisioning those teeth on the tone ring being what the sensor detects, and it knows how to translate that into a useable position within the rotation of the crank...

Am I even close or waaaaay off?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I don’t know if that what directly tells the crankshaft position sensor but if not directly then indirectly. And yes it is the notch in the teeth

·
Super Moderator
14,463 Posts
Is that the hootus that the Crankshaft Position Sensor keys on when sending its signals on down the line to the PCM?

I’m envisioning those teeth on the tone ring being what the sensor detects, and it knows how to translate that into a useable position within the rotation of the crank...

Yes - that tone ring is what triggers the Crank Position Sensor (the starter motor is installed over the CPS). Its the reference signal for cyl 1 and how many degrees the crank has rotated from that position.

·
Vendor
11,828 Posts

on the money
Luke

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
on the money
Luke
Luke thanks for the information.. This is really good to know...

Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel Caution on 2009-2017 Dodge/Chrysler
5.7 & 6.4L Hemi Engines
The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information regarding the crankshaft reluctor wheel
on 2009-2017 Dodge/Chrysler 5.7 & 6.4L hemi engines.
Different style reluctor wheels have been used and there are two versions of the 58- tooth reluctor wheel.
This information should not be confused with the earlier 32-tooth reluctor wheel.
During disassembly, it is advised to pay close attention to the gear and measure the thickness of the gear.
Be careful not to bend the gear and support the crankshaft on V-blocks. All 2012 and earlier 58-tooth
reluctor wheels have a tooth width of .170" (4.318 MM). All 2013 and later 58-tooth reluctor wheels have a
tooth width of .130" (3.302 MM) along with a dimple in the rear face of the wheel.
Identifying the crankshaft before work is started will speed up the engine build process and prevent ordering the incorrect part.

http://www.engineprofessional.com/TB/TB112017-1.pdf

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Seems like you could load an updated Tune if you went with a newer engine. They offer the Harness with it includes the PCM. Any issues just using a new PCM?

·
Vendor
11,828 Posts
the issue is the tone rings are only available from Mopar with the crankshaft, some aftermarket supplier, but not neutral balanced, hence if need to change one, your disassembling and rebalancing an engine
Luke

1 - 20 of 29 Posts