Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am looking to get new tires. What tires are best for dry & wet conditions and for shorter braking distances. I looked at Michelin (Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Primacy MXM$) Continental (Extreme Contact) Nitto, BF Goodrich and other brands. What would be best for a replacement. There are A LOT of opinions. I am just looking for the best tire at a reasonable price. I don't really drive like a Mad Man and abuse my car, just looking to improve over the stock Goodyear RS-A tires.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
567 Posts
I presume that you meant 20" wheels .... not 29" wheels.

I had a 2011 Challenger R/T Classic and was very happy with a set of Cooper Zeons. The current equivalent would be the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. They're right at $182 on Tirerack. They were quiet, had a better ride than the Generals they replaced, had good performance in wet and dry, and had a much longer tread life rating than the Goodyear F1s that came on the car. Once I got past my brand prejudice that they weren't a big-name brand, I was very happy with them.

If you want to spend a little more .... I think that Michelin generally makes some of the best tires available. Though the best wet-weather tires I've ever owned were the Continental Extreme Contact DWS that I had them on my '05 GTO.

And, I currently have Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my '15 Challenger SRT. Love the grip ... but they're pretty soft. Thankfully, my car isn't a daily driver any more.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
573 Posts
I'm running 255/45/20 Nitto nt555 g2s. Good tires for stock power level, they handle turns great, quiet, and are pretty good in the rain. But I will say if you drive them in sub freezing temps they will crack a little bit which is to be expected from a summer tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I presume that you meant 20" wheels .... not 29" wheels.

I had a 2011 Challenger R/T Classic and was very happy with a set of Cooper Zeons. The current equivalent would be the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. They're right at $182 on Tirerack. They were quiet, had a better ride than the Generals they replaced, had good performance in wet and dry, and had a much longer tread life rating than the Goodyear F1s that came on the car. Once I got past my brand prejudice that they weren't a big-name brand, I was very happy with them.

If you want to spend a little more .... I think that Michelin generally makes some of the best tires available. Though the best wet-weather tires I've ever owned were the Continental Extreme Contact DWS that I had them on my '05 GTO.

And, I currently have Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my '15 Challenger SRT. Love the grip ... but they're pretty soft. Thankfully, my car isn't a daily driver any more.
The two Michelin tires I'am look at now are the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Primacy MXM4. Which tire do you think would be a better choice.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I'm running 255/45/R20 Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires on my '13 R/T. I put them on 4/1/19 and am extremely happy with them. I bought them from Tirerack.com and had them shipped to NTB for the install. They were on sale at Tirerack and NTB could not price match. The 255 version was less expensive than the 245 version BEFORE the sale price. You might want to check that out.

I ran 2 sets of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on a previous car. The 1st set wore by 45,000 miles. I did not rotate them. The 2nd set went about 65,000. I did rotate those. One reason I went with the Cooper tires is they got good reviews here as well as specifically by Challenger owners on Tirerack.com. The small edge Michelin got from Tirerack's staff reviews wasn't worth the additional cost to me.

BTW, like JD40 mentioned, if you're driving in temps below 40°F you really don't want summer tires. When I purchased my '13 (used) it had summer tires on it. The few days temps were below 40°F I simply didn't drive it. As he mentioned, the tires can crack and.or lose small chunks of tire as the rubber compound for summer tires is different than for A/S tires.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The two Michelin tires I'am look at now are the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Primacy MXM4. Which tire do you think would be a better choice.
Depends on how you plan to use your car. The Primacy won't handle the speed that the Pilot Sports will.

@Golfnut just echoed my comments for the Cooper Zeons and brought up a good point about being able to go slightly wider at a good price point.

TireRack shows the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on special at $240 each and the Primacy MXM4 at $247 each. They have the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 at $182 each. And, they have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 at $206 each. Personally, I'd save the $40 per tire and get the Coopers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on how you plan to use your car. The Primacy won't handle the speed that the Pilot Sports will.

@Golfnut just echoed my comments for the Cooper Zeons and brought up a good point about being able to go slightly wider at a good price point.

TireRack shows the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on special at $240 each and the Primacy MXM4 at $247 each. They have the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 at $182 each. And, they have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 at $206 each. Personally, I'd save the $40 per tire and get the Coopers.
I still have the stock rims on my car. I think the size of the rims are: 20" X 8". Would the 255/45R20 sizes tires fit on the stock rims, or should I get the 245/45R20 sizes tires?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I still have the stock rims on my car. I think the size of the rims are: 20" X 8". Would the 255/45R20 sizes tires fit on the stock rims, or should I get the 245/45R20 sizes tires?
I "think" you'll be fine with 255s on the stock rim. I know many others are running this size tire on the stock rims.

The only wrinkle you MIGHT encounter is ... some tire shops have become hesitant to put anything other than the OEM size tire on the OEM rim out of an (over?) abundance of caution. Dang lawyers! ;)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,657 Posts
255 is the widest recommended for an 8" wheel. Even some early Challengers came stock with staggered 245 front/255 rear

A Guy

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Super Moderator
14,039 Posts
I also recommend the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires. In my opinion, they are the best bang-for-your-buck high performance all-weather tire. I have them on my 2009 SRT and really like their handling/performance.

Here are some reviews of this tire:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've have the Primacy MXM4's on my '10 and love em. I don't drive like a madman either mostly DD. Quiet and smooth pretty good in the little amount of rain we get around here, really can't go wrong with anything made by Michelin.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
53 Posts
I also recommend the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires. In my opinion, they are the best bang-for-your-buck high performance all-weather tire. I have them on my 2009 SRT and really like their handling/performance.

Here are some reviews of this tire:

Would you say these are good for the constant hot weather of CA? Or would a summer tire be better? Trying to get an idea for when I replace the dealer tires.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just put Goodyear Eagle Exhilarates on mine. Didnt like the Extreme Contacts.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack triple nickel 6 speed manual.
51 Posts
About a month ago I put a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s on my 2019 scat. I highly recommend these tires. They look great and the cars handles really well with them. The only down side is they are summer only tires.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Continental ProContact, I am on my second set, first set were bought and used while daily commuting on the Autobahn in Germany. Love them will likely never use any other tire brand.

·
Super Moderator
14,039 Posts
Would you say these are good for the constant hot weather of CA? Or would a summer tire be better? Trying to get an idea for when I replace the dealer tires.
The Uniform Tire Quality Grage of this tire is AA A. It would be fine for hot CA weather. However, if you never see temperatures below 40 degrees, or snow, a summer tire would be good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right now I'am looking at a 2020 Consumer Reports Buying Guide for Ultra High-Performance All-Season Tires, It lists for the top three in order 1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+(Rating 66) 2) General G-Max AS-05(Rating 66) 3) BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S(Rating 66). Plus 4) Vredestein Quatrac Pro(Rating 66) 6) Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06(Rating 64) () Cooper Zeon RS3-G1(Rating 61). These tire caught my interest. The Michelin rank #1 but are pricey; the BFGoodrich has a below average for noise; the Continental has a liitle below average for ice braking and the Cooper have a little below average for snow traction.

The 2 tire that I'am MOST interested in are the Cooper and the Continental. I live in the Southwestern part of Illinois and I 'am looking for the best performing tire without "breaking the bank". The area gets some snow but not a lot of it. Which of these 2 choices would be the best pick, or is their a better choice. I'am also curious about the Vredestein brand. I never heard of it. Is their any opinions about this brand?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Right now I'am looking at a 2020 Consumer Reports Buying Guide for Ultra High-Performance All-Season Tires, It lists for the top three in order 1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+(Rating 66) 2) General G-Max AS-05(Rating 66) 3) BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S(Rating 66). Plus 4) Vredestein Quatrac Pro(Rating 66) 6) Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06(Rating 64) () Cooper Zeon RS3-G1(Rating 61). These tire caught my interest. The Michelin rank #1 but are pricey; the BFGoodrich has a below average for noise; the Continental has a liitle below average for ice braking and the Cooper have a little below average for snow traction.

The 2 tire that I'am MOST interested in are the Cooper and the Continental. I live in the Southwestern part of Illinois and I 'am looking for the best performing tire without "breaking the bank". The area gets some snow but not a lot of it. Which of these 2 choices would be the best pick, or is their a better choice. I'am also curious about the Vredestein brand. I never heard of it. Is their any opinions about this brand?
I had the Extreme Contacts but was very dissatisfied with them, they wore faster than I thought they would. I just switched to the new Goodyear Eagle Exhilrates that came out last year in 2019 which were rated the the #1 in 2019 Consumer Reports.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts