Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hitting 27k miles and my tires are done. Which tires do you recommend and what size? Should I stick with OEM size and brand, etc or upgrade brand and rear tire size?

I'm in St. Louis with 4 real seasons, but I don't drive the car in bad weather. It's a daily driver for now, but I will have another pickup before the snow comes.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,470 Posts
I’m not a tire expert in any way, shape, or form. The Pirelli PZero 3 season tires that came on my car lasted just over 20k miles. Not one burnout or any really aggressive driving. There was no way I was going to do that again. I opted for BF Goodrich Comp 2 all season tires as a replacement. I’m pretty happy with them so far. Have a decent wear rating and I expect them to last a lot longer than the softer compound 3 season Pirellis. I also live in an area with 4 seasons. I stayed with the 275’s size wise.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
694 Posts
If you do decide to go with 275's...Give the Mickey Thompson Street Comps a good look...275/40-20

I have them and really like them...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact Sport
275/40-20
305/35-20

·
Registered
110 Posts
you say you don't drive in "bad weather", but keep in mind the summer tires can't even handle being used below 40 degrees. even on dry roads.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I put a set of Nitto Motive 315/35 R20s on my 5.7l R/T and actually like them a lot. I put the same tires on the front only 245/45 R20. I had to get new rims too though to accommodate the rears.

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
Here's my recommendations:

First, I'm not a fan of tires that last < 30K and I drive year-round so I'm not a fan of fast wearing 'summer tires'

All season tires:
*Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric All Season
*Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S [have these on my SPS]
*Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

the exception:
*Nitto NT-555 G2 [I had the prior gen NT-555s on my '09 R/T...loved them]

I even drove the Nittos in 1-1.5" snow and drove year round - these don't behave like summer tires. I had 19K on them when I traded the car in, and had very little wear.

My criteria:
*ride quality
*low noise
*good handling / response
*tread life

Note: the '15+ models had the sound insulation changed around (more exhaust sound?) and there's more road noise in these than the '14 and earlier. So tire noise is a consideration to thing about, depending on your roads. We have this awful aggregate surface here in Oregon. Only recently are they paving with smooth asphalt.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Here's my recommendations:

First, I'm not a fan of tires that last < 30K and I drive year-round so I'm not a fan of fast wearing 'summer tires'

All season tires:
*Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric All Season
*Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S [have these on my SPS]
*Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

the exception:
*Nitto NT-555 G2 [I had the prior gen NT-555s on my '09 R/T...loved them]

I even drove the Nittos in 1-1.5" snow and drove year round - these don't behave like summer tires. I had 19K on them when I traded the car in, and had very little wear.

My criteria:
*ride quality
*low noise
*good handling / response
*tread life

Note: the '15+ models had the sound insulation changed around (more exhaust sound?) and there's more road noise in these than the '14 and earlier. So tire noise is a consideration to thing about, depending on your roads. We have this awful aggregate surface here in Oregon. Only recently are they paving with smooth asphalt.
Something I noticed right away with my Continental ECDW tires was the reduced road noise. It was night and day.

Thankfully I only put about 6000-7000 miles on my car every year, so I don't have to worry about tires for a few years regardless. By the time I got through with a set of summers, I'd probably want to change all-seasons out anyways due to age.

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
Something I noticed right away with my Continental ECDW tires was the reduced road noise. It was night and day.

Thankfully I only put about 6000-7000 miles on my car every year, so I don't have to worry about tires for a few years regardless. By the time I got through with a set of summers, I'd probably want to change all-seasons out anyways due to age.
Tires have changed over the years - I remember the hi-po tires back in the 80s that would get checking / slight cracks within 3 years between the tread blocks. Cars that were seasonal would get checking on the sidewalls with tires from that era.

From the late 90s onward, the compounds in tires have more anti-ozone / anti oxidant ingredients to combat that degradation (and responsible for a lot of the "tire bloom" we get now). I've had tires for 4 - 5 years that don't get that aging like I used to see.

Like you, I average 5K-6K per year - and that driving will be in town and involves stop/go and turning and the "spirited" driving...I take corners hard and fast when conditions will allow with the weather. As a consequence tread life won't be as great as the long highway haulers would do.

Don't wish to keep buying tires every couple of years. Much like folks that had Eagle F1s, once they wear out their first set (anywhere between 9-14K typically) they buy something else that wears better and will behave better when temps <40*F. Keeping operating costs contained, as other priorities can use the $$ that I don't spend on fast-wearing tires.

All that being said, yes a tire that is getting 7+ years old will get stiffer and not play as nice.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Tires have changed over the years - I remember the hi-po tires back in the 80s that would get checking / slight cracks within 3 years between the tread blocks. Cars that were seasonal would get checking on the sidewalls with tires from that era.

From the late 90s onward, the compounds in tires have more anti-ozone / anti oxidant ingredients to combat that degradation (and responsible for a lot of the "tire bloom" we get now). I've had tires for 4 - 5 years that don't get that aging like I used to see.

Like you, I average 5K-6K per year - and that driving will be in town and involves stop/go and turning and the "spirited" driving...I take corners hard and fast when conditions will allow with the weather. As a consequence tread life won't be as great as the long highway haulers would do.

Don't wish to keep buying tires every couple of years. Much like folks that had Eagle F1s, once they wear out their first set (anywhere between 9-14K typically) they buy something else that wears better and will behave better when temps <40*F. Keeping operating costs contained, as other priorities can use the $$ that I don't spend on fast-wearing tires.

All that being said, yes a tire that is getting 7+ years old will get stiffer and not play as nice.
I also wanted to try and find a 5-spoke 18x9+ wheel, so by the time I change tires, I will likely change wheels too.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
+1 on the Goodyear Sport A/S. Reasonably priced 50K mi tires. I also like the built in rim protection. My R/T sticks just fine in the curves on these.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I successfully destroyed my factory tires (all 4) in just under 8k miles. It was fun, I don't regret it. I knew I wasn't going to get those again, and I tried the cheap tire route. I liked one set, hated another and at the beginning of the summer I switched over to Conti's EC DWS06 in 275/40/20. I can't recommend these tires enough. They perform well in the rain, grip well enough in the dry and they aren't soft enough to melt (well, not as easily) when I do get into the throttle on occasion.

I'm a Continental fan for sure, but I really want to try some of the Nittos that are recommended so often.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
I successfully destroyed my factory tires (all 4) in just under 8k miles. It was fun, I don't regret it. I knew I wasn't going to get those again, and I tried the cheap tire route. I liked one set, hated another and at the beginning of the summer I switched over to Conti's EC DWS06 in 275/40/20. I can't recommend these tires enough. They perform well in the rain, grip well enough in the dry and they aren't soft enough to melt (well, not as easily) when I do get into the throttle on occasion.

I'm a Continental fan for sure, but I really want to try some of the Nittos that are recommended so often.
Was thinking of these or the Firestone Indy 500, my Pirelli 275s worn pretty good at only 16,000 miles, gonna need to do something next couple months. Especially with no spare, don't want them getting too thin.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Atturo AZ850's in 275/40 hands down.. Amazing tires and they are only $500 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
addendum to my earlier post.

I've been researching tires diligently since my other car needs tires.

It was down to:
>Continental ExtremeContact DWS06
>Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S [already have these on my SPS - have 12.6K with just over 1/32" wear

I had another highly rated tire on this car Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - these have a 45K mileage
warranty. I will probably end up replacing them barely before 20K. The last 1/3 of tread life they got noisier and ride is harsh as well.

I've discovered that tire mileage warranties require rotations no greater than 6K between. I had averaged 11K since this was my typical interval around A / B service schedules.

Reading nearly 100 reviews, its seems the Continental tires don't make it through that mileage warranty - having been through that with my Michelin tires I'm not considering them.

I've just ordered the GY Eagle Sport A/S for my other car today via the Discount Tire promotion that was posted on CT that runs through Oct 31st. Between the promotion and the GY rebate (free shipping) those tires are $82/ tire.

The Conti's run the same price (before rebate), BTW.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Atturo AZ850's in 275/40 hands down.. Amazing tires and they are only $500 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just had my Atturos put on 275/40, they are great tires and can't beat the price. Found them for 103.00 ea. on Amazon with free shipping! Have never seen a bad review of these tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts