Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Challenger R/T Classic W/13K original miles is in need of replacement tires. Tread wear is still fine but the rubber is starting to show some checkering and cracking. I have used the Tire Rack comparison tool, and ended up looking at Michelin Pilot and a similiar Continental Tire. The Continental tire is substantially cheaper, but I am more concerning about road noise and dry pavement grip. Price of the tire is not my primary concern. I will not be driving this car in winter or on wet pavement, so I do not need an all season radial. Anyone find and use a good tire that gives a minimal amount of road noise?

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
On the Tire Rack website, they do show customers reviews for any given tire. I know one category was road noise. Have you checked out the reviews there?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,710 Posts
My 2013 Challenger R/T Classic W/13K original miles is in need of replacement tires. Tread wear is still fine but the rubber is starting to show some checkering and cracking. I have used the Tire Rack comparison tool, and ended up looking at Michelin Pilot and a similiar Continental Tire. The Continental tire is substantially cheaper, but I am more concerning about road noise and dry pavement grip. Price of the tire is not my primary concern. I will not be driving this car in winter or on wet pavement, so I do not need an all season radial. Anyone find and use a good tire that gives a minimal amount of road noise?
My experience over the years with high performance tires is they start out quiet but as they wear they get noisy. Wear and heat cycles. The heat cycles harden the rubber.

I have not tried any different tires on my Hellcat. When a left rear tire got a puncture I just had both rear tires replaced with the same brand/type/etc tires, Pirelli as it so happens. The new tires were very quiet, remarkably so. But I'm sure they'll get noisy as noisy as the previous tires got as they accumulated miles.

But with 2 other cars I tried 2 different brands of tires. One car I ran Pirelli (the tire it came with from the factory) and Michelin, and the 2nd car Continental (the tire it came with from the factory) and Bridgestone.

In all case the brands of tires being factory sanctioned. Really I could tell no difference between the brands new. For Pirelli vs. Michelin the Michelin tires might (might) have been a bit less noisy at the end of their life.

While less noisy still not quiet by any stretch and oh what a change for the better was it when I had the worn Michelin tires replaced with new tires.

But I only bought Michelin tires if they were price competitive with the Pirelli tires. As for Bridgestone vs. Continental I really could not tell you which brand of tire was on the car without looking. The tires behaved identically and it was just a matter of when tires were needed -- all 4 tires -- which brand the dealer had in stock or could get.

I would hope with my Hellcat that as long as I stick with factory sanctioned tires any tire I use will prove to be satisfactory and really no different in terms of performance than any other factory sanctioned tires.

In the case of your car if the Michelin and Continental tires are factory sanctioned my advice would be to go with the less expensive tire unless the price difference is inconsequential. In this case I would lean towards the Michelin tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rockster. The Tire Rack reviews for both the Continental and Michelin tires are reasonably close, and with the price difference being substantial, I am learning towards the Continental tire.

·
Super Moderator
14,989 Posts
After you choose a tire, compare the prices between Tire Rack and Discount Tire, one of our Supporting Vendors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts