Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed my blend door actuator today in my 2012 challenger r/t, and I want to install the new on but I can't get the new on in, I'm assuming the heater core lines, that are in the way. It's whats causing me to have a problem to slide the actuator in the car.. It just doesn't want to go in.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just removed my blend door actuator today in my 2012 challenger r/t, and I want to install the new on but I can't get the new on in, I'm assuming the heater core lines, that are in the way. It's whats causing me to have a problem to slide the actuator in the car.. It just doesn't want to go in.
It's weird you removed the old one but can't get the new one in. I'm not there to see but logically you would just reverse the process. What am I missing? Can you show some pics and give more details? Others may learn from your experience here. Thanks man.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lost interest and forgot about it, but I want to fix it soon I hope i don't have to have anything calibrated with the new motor. I'll post tomorrow and it give it another try..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Those actuators are such a pain in the a$$, already replaced 2 on my wife's 2011 Grand Cherokee,. They are so impossible to get to, I actually drilled a hole in one of the metal reinforcements behind the dash to access it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did alot cussing and spent more time drinking a beer just to pull the damn thing out. Since its a new actuator does it automatically work? What i'm asking does it know when to stop turning? This is my first time replacing one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did alot cussing and spent more time drinking a beer just to pull the damn thing out. Since its a new actuator does it automatically work? What i'm asking does it know when to stop turning? This is my first time replacing one.
After you replace it, disconnect your battery power for a few minutes, then when you reconnect it the new actuator will go into self adjusting mode and will go to the max one way then another a few times. Start up the car and give it a shot..turn the climate up and down and watch for the actuator to adjust the gear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did all 3 in my car few weeks ago and the only thing I had to make sure of is the slot on the rotator thingy lined up with the slot on the panel/flap that the motor moves. If it's not lined up properly your blend doors won't operate properly if you do get the motor in there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Of the 3 actuators, where is the one that controls the hot vs. cold air located? Mine is stuck on cold air out of all vents. Recirc and defrost still works.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
Those actuators are such a pain in the a$$, already replaced 2 on my wife's 2011 Grand Cherokee,. They are so impossible to get to, I actually drilled a hole in one of the metal reinforcements behind the dash to access it
Had a 99 with broken blend door shafts, took the entire dash out along with the heater/evap box....what an MF'er! Don't tell me the challengers suffer from the same problem!?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Had a 99 with broken blend door shafts, took the entire dash out along with the heater/evap box....what an MF'er! Don't tell me the challengers suffer from the same problem!?
Not sure if it is as bad on the Challengers as it is on newer Grand Cherokees but sure seems like quite a few bad blend doors have been reported on here so far. Hasn't happened to mine yet

·
Registered
72 Posts
did you ever get the damn actuator on?

I just spent 2hrs fighting it and had to leave before I broke something out of frustration

Of the 3 actuators, where is the one that controls the hot vs. cold air located? Mine is stuck on cold air out of all vents. Recirc and defrost still works.
drivers side upper - hot vs cold
drivers side lower - dash, foot, or defrost position
passenger side - outside air blend door

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did after a 12pk of beer, some music and a s**t fit. Because I spent 60 dollars on actuators I didn't install because they need to be calibrated again, unless i did something wrong. But it's not easy to remove/install the bottom drivers side one thats for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
damnit, I was hoping there was perspective or something that I was missing.

ok, do it when I'm calm and not in a hurry. aka, it'll never get done

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I did the temp control actuator in my 2013, its not too hard to do. But... I made the mistake of using a Dorman part instead of the OEM part. The Dorman part failed in 3 days... The OEM part has worked for several months since I replaced it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are the actuators plug n play? I installed my dormans and both of them started grinding teeth on the gears. So I removed them, A member told me I need to have to calibrated again It's probably on this post lol, but no luck.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Are the actuators plug n play? I installed my dormans and both of them started grinding teeth on the gears. So I removed them, A member told me I need to have to calibrated again It's probably on this post lol, but no luck.

They should self calibrate, I used a dorman part and it never really worked right. I did the calibration with a scan-tool to make sure it calibrated. The part completely failed in 3 days. Get the OEM parts. when I removed the failed Dorman part and installed the OEM part, It successfully self calibrated. One of the lights on a control know blinked when the self calibration procedure was going on. It lasts just a few seconds

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok that all makes sense now, My rear defogger light never stopped flashing and right when I plugged in my oem parts everything started working again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts