Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to be replacing the mufflers and deleting the resonators on my 2014 challenger R/T auto.

thinking about going with the dynamax mini bullets but dont want to get the drone. i also read that it doesn't sound the same with auto cars? i will be getting it tuned as well if that matters.

what other opts are there that sound the same but without the drone?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
Generally speaking, if you remove the resonators and don't replace them, or add J-Pipes...it will have drone. With a manual trans you can manage the RPMs better to stay out of the drone range. With an automatic, you pretty much just have the drone. Hopefully someone who has done it with little drone will reply

A Guy

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Theoretically speaking of course, couldn’t this drone noise be countered with the stereo? Hear some drone, turn up the stereo, rinse and repeat?

honest question, I can’t detect drone, so I’ve never had to deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
True drone can also be felt :)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
You guys are so lucky, all I'm reading in my head is warranty warranty warranty
Cat back exhaust changes won't affect your warranty...well, on the cat back exhaust it will ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Replacing things like speakers and mufflers while still within warranty is considered a low risk, high reward undertaking.

If the speakers or mufflers were going to malfunction and need warranty repair, they would have done it already. Replacing them now with aftermarket equivalents/upgrades means better performance from the replaced parts (usually) with no loss of warranty on the rest of the car’s components.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Then it ain’t drone. that’s actually false drone.
but what do I know, what y’all call drone, I call “knowing what gear I’m in” or “knowing how many RPMs I’m turning”

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
If it rattles your fillings loose?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the whole trans thing i read about was bc with the auto cars we some added thing that shuts the cylinders down or some shit? im not really up to date with all the dodge stuff tbh lol but people have said it makes it sound funny

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
well the whole trans thing i read about was bc with the auto cars we some added thing that shuts the cylinders down or some shit? im not really up to date with all the dodge stuff tbh lol but people have said it makes it sound funny
The automatics have the MDS which shuts down 4 cylinders at steady rpm, and that sounds strange through aftermarket exhaust sometimes. I turned it off in mine once I got the mufflers replaced.

the manuals don’t have that MDS system

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The automatics have the MDS which shuts down 4 cylinders at steady rpm, and that sounds strange through aftermarket exhaust sometimes. I turned it off in mine once I got the mufflers replaced.

the manuals don’t have that MDS system
how is it turned off? in the tune im guessing? any cons to doing that?

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Yes, access with a tune
how is it turned off? in the tune im guessing? any cons to doing that?
Pretty much. I don’t think it’s a part of the tune, but you need a tuner device to disable it.

The only con to disabling it is the loss of MPGs it supposedly provides. Personally, I never got enough out of it to make it worth it. Maybe 2-3 MPGs on long highway trips, but that’s if I’m hypermiling. Pretty much a wash in town for me. So it was a no brained to disable it for my driving habits and likes/dislikes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh ok. i dont take long trips with it anyways for it to matter.

wonder if anyone has some in car video with these bullets and the res deleted? to see how the drone is.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a 2014 MDS 5A and didn't want the drone....drone is more than sound...drone gives a vibration that goes through the car and into your body, it can actually give you a sick feeling of too much. I put a Solo Performance X-Pipe with J-pipe on. Thats no mufflers, no resonators. The J-pipe kills the drone...what you will have though is when
MDS kicks in for the 4 banger is a louder more unpleasant exhaust sound. At cruising highway speeds when MDS kicks in I put it into manual 5th gear, all 8 banging again and sound way better. Remember, drone just isn't a sound.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts