Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

The black plastic rear trim panel that surrounds the back tail lights on my 2010 SRT 8 has a deep scratch in it form the day I bought it. I purchased a replacement trim panel, and am going to attempt to swap it out. Before I get started I wanted to solicit any advice or tips on removal and replacement.

Thanks in advance...

lewSki...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I'd say the new part will be helpful in seeing how to release the old one. The tail lights have those black thumb knobs you spin to remove them, the rest should be pretty much self explanatory. Can you post pictures of the new part?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is the exact piece I purchased from Steve White Motors on-line. I read on another Challenger site that someone had replaced it, but I was hoping for more information. I took the tail lights off this weekend to attempt it but lost confidence in doing it without breaking other stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Do you think the bumper needs to come off the car?
You could go to a Dodge dealer that has a body shop on premises and ask a worker.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Looks to be a LOT more to that piece than I thought there would be, bumper cover looks like it has to come off to me?

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Actually thinking about it after looking at the photo, it may be what the bumper hangs off of as a support up top.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
This is the exact piece I purchased from Steve White Motors on-line. I read on another Challenger site that someone had replaced it, but I was hoping for more information. I took the tail lights off this weekend to attempt it but lost confidence in doing it without breaking other stuff.
How much is this piece ?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Remove one of the side taillights and take a look see, it might tell ya how involved it's going to be, "that said" Looks like the outer piece tucks into the rear portion of the fender and bottom underside of the bumper, hope you don't have to take off the bumper... good luck and let us know about the process/pics

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The entire rear fascia has to come off to replace the tail light surround. It isn't terribly hard, but it will take some time and is quite involved. Don't attempt it if you don't consider yourself mechanically inclined.

Here are the steps to remove the fascia:

1) Remove the 3 push pins in the rear of each wheel well that attach the wheel well liner to the rear fascia.

2) Remove the bolt in the rear of each wheel well that attaches the wheel well liner to the rear fascia.

3) Go under the rear of the car and remove the nuts that attach the rear valence (the black plastic trim that wraps around the bottom of the rear fascia) to the underside of the car. Pull the valence off of the bolts that the nuts were on.

4) Open the trunk and remove the 3 push pins that attach the tail light surround to the trunk

5) Remove the left and right end caps at the inside sides of the the top of the fascia. Remove the left and right bolts under the caps.

6) Remove the left and right wing nuts that hold the trunk liner to the back of the rear fascia. Pull the trunk liner away from the rear fascia, revealing another wing nut under the trunk liner on the left and right sides. Remove these wing nuts too. The tail lights will now be loose.

7) Pull the tail lights out from the body one at a time, and disconnect them from the wiring loom by sliding the red plastic tab on the connector out and then squeezing the base of the connector while pulling the connector out.

8) Pull each side of the rear fascia by the wheel wells away from the side of the car to release the clips that hold them to the mounting brackets. Continue the process all the way to the top of the fascia.

9) Slide the fascia rearwards, but not totally off the car. Reach into the gap between the fascia and the rear of the car, and pop the side marker light bulbs off of the side marker lenses.

10) Pop the license plate light bulb out of the license plate light lens.

11) Slide the fascia all the way off the car and lay it, paint side down, on a soft comforter or blanket.

12) Remove the tail light surround from the rear fascia by depressing the clips that hold it to the rear fascia.

13) Attach the new tail light surround to the rear fascia by inserting the clips into the slots on the rear fascia. It will take some force. Many people use some WD-40 on each clip to make the insertion easier.

Reverse the steps above to reinstall the rear fascia and tail lights. Take special care when lining up the clips on the rear fascia that attach to the mounting brackets. It is very easy to bend a clip which will prevent the fascia from seating properly back on the car.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts