Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been talked about quite a bit. However I have yet to find anyone explain how they did it themselves after an hour of searching. I have found moparpartsoverstock.com as a vendor for $100.00 a pop. Do I need rivets or just 3M tape to hold these suckers down? I also want to know if anyone has any good feed back about the vendor or any other recommendations for a vendor? I am trying to stay away from the dealer because the one in Midland Tx is constantly behind and has a two week wait for anything to be done and I don't know if they really know what's what. Plus if I can get it shipped to me during spring break I will have some time to slap them on and detail. Thanks for any help! Love this forum.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,909 Posts
I know this topic has been talked about quite a bit. However I have yet to find anyone explain how they did it themselves after an hour of searching. I have found moparpartsoverstock.com as a vendor for $100.00 a pop. Do I need rivets or just 3M tape to hold these suckers down? I also want to know if anyone has any good feed back about the vendor or any other recommendations for a vendor? I am trying to stay away from the dealer because the one in Midland Tx is constantly behind and has a two week wait for anything to be done and I don't know if they really know what's what. Plus if I can get it shipped to me during spring break I will have some time to slap them on and detail. Thanks for any help! Love this forum.
Oh I have done this twice now on the same car. It's really easy.

First when you buy the replacements make sure you get the latest ones, they have 4 blocks of tape on each compared to the 3 blocks on the older ones. These 3M blocks of tape come on the new panels already attached.

Also, if you have a 2011 and up car you don't need the plastic rivets and a rivet gun like I did on my early SRT8. You should have those bolt screw looking ones, -2- on each corner. Undo those screws on each end and then gently pull away the rocker cladding, keep in mind there are a few tabs near the door assy that will be slightly stubborn but they will pull out, just be gentle the metal bends out easy where they attach underneath.

Make sure you clean very well under there before installing the new covers. Also start in the middle and work your way out to the ends of the claddings when attaching the small 3M style blocks of double sided tape. The reason I say that is the tape blocks when positioned correctly should not let the bottom of the rocker cover look wavy. After that reattach the screws on the ends. Make sure you don't tighten the screws all the way down; turn it back a turn or so to let the panel flex a bit from temp changes and such. That's it. If you had rivets you would have to remove the wheels to attach the new ones (to get the tool in there). -Steve

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,909 Posts
I have a 2010 RT Classic. So I think I have the early model cladding... But thanks for your detailed information!
No problem, well then you need a plastic rivet gun to install the new ones. Go to Harbor Freight, they have a whole kit. You will need the 8 plastic rivets also. The ones in the kit I think will work but I bought mine from the dealer. Same operation as above but you will have to take off the wheels and also cut/break the old rivets off on removing the claddings like I had to on my 2008 Challenger.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty. They are wavy as hell, it has always bothered me. They obviously did not work from the center then outwards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts