Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of research the last few days on replacing all my stock speakers in my 14 challenger with the 6 speaker BA system. So far, I have ordered the Infinity 6.5 kappa series for the rear and the kappa 3.5 300m for the front, but I am baffled on what to get for the door speakers..

Things I do know...

The stock speakers are 2 ohm, so replacing with matched impedance has been challenging, but found that the infinity are probably the best match and much better in sound.

The stock door speakers are low pass and a subwoofer. So finding a replacement has also been challenging... Rockville makes a great 6x9 subwoofer, but it is 4ohm.... There are a couple others out there, but I haven't found much for reviews on them. CDT Audio being one, and they are also 2ohm...

So my question(S) is/are, with the stock amp what have you replaced your 6x9s with including ohm impedance, and how does it sound over stock, and how did the 4ohm affect it?

Has anyone replaced them with actual 6x9 subs, and how does it sound?

And, for those that have not replace the door speakers, but have the front and deck, what is your opinion on improvements..?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,773 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm specifically talking about the door speakers, the 6x9 subs.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
The only speaker to get in the Infinity line is the Kappa. I would suggest installing the Kappas and seeing how it sounds before going further with the door subs. You may find that the Kappas add what you need.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only speaker to get in the Infinity line is the Kappa. I would suggest installing the Kappas and seeing how it sounds before going further with the door subs. You may find that the Kappas add what you need.
I have actually heard that as well... I may go that route. I have a 12" active sub on the way as well..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Man Let me tell you, I’ve brought some Pioneer 6" X 9" 650W 5-Way Speakers for my door speakers and Pioneer 6.5" 350-Watt 4-Way Speakers for the back deck and I’ve only installed the door speakers and they whisper. I’m not sure if it’s because I need to get a Highs amp or if it’s because the door speakers was only factory subwoofers and I need bass blockers. I didn’t even bother to install the rear deck speakers until I figure out the door speakers. I’m at a head scratching point lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have replaced the rear deck with infinity 6.5" speakers and the dash with infinity as well. I have also built a custom enclosure to fit in the gap along the drivers side in the trunk that houses a shallow mount 12" infinity sub. I only have the sub on an amp the others running off the stock power. I turn the bass down on the head unit which helps with the door speakers as the bass is now coming from the sub. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
New Speakers? me too

Hi Fellows,
I am a newbie to this forum & too am seeking to upgrade the 6 speaker Boston Acoustics in my 2012 RT+.
I studied electronics & followed audio over the years. So let's get down to the probs:
1st the front channels [dash & door] are 4 ohms in parallel w/ 8 ohms = 2.67 ohms.
OK, but the factory amp is only stable to 2 ohms & rather than try to operate on the limit, w/ 4ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohms in front, might want to consider working toward a 3 ohm load for the front. These would keep the amp happier I think.
High watt rated speakers with big, large conductor windings and big magnets to drive all that extra voice-coil mass need bigger amplifiers.
If, like me, you just want to upgrade the sound by keeping the factory, keep the small factory amps happy by showing them loads they can drive.
2nd No free lunch, the base, stock RES model radio makes 28W/channel max, per allpar's tear down of the stock RES radio. the amps are stable to 2 ohms.
A"400W" rated speaker will not magically turn a 28W amp into 400W. They will cost too much and likely sound no better or worse.
& No luck finding 6 ohm speakers to put in parallel that I know of.
These pics are late model alpine front channel speakers, note they are only rated 15W!:

This is what my Boston Acoustics 3.5" looks like in the car, better magnet than the Alpine?

Back in the 70s you had to replace really weak factory 10W-and-less radios w/ about 25W per channel which is min. Dodge has now.
Coax & triaxial speakers designed for good SPL, rated about 100W or a less, would make more sense for stock replacement. Seems like now all these 3&4 ohm speakers are designed w/ aftermarket high current amps but IMHO, they will tend to overload the dinky factory radio. The rear 6" speakers are all alone on their channel so no big problem there, stick a 3 or 4 ohm speaker on them and good to go.
8 ohm speakers have become more rare now but they are out there. Also the newer factory amps are much better now and some of the new coaxial 3 ohm speakers rated at lower wattage but w/ rating @ mid 90 dB SPL should make the stocker radios happy and make significant overall improvement.
I will be searching here for results of Challenger speaker swaps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man Let me tell you, I’ve brought some Pioneer 6" X 9" 650W 5-Way Speakers for my door speakers and Pioneer 6.5" 350-Watt 4-Way Speakers for the back deck and I’ve only installed the door speakers and they whisper. I’m not sure if it’s because I need to get a Highs amp or if it’s because the door speakers was only factory subwoofers and I need bass blockers. I didn’t even bother to install the rear deck speakers until I figure out the door speakers. I’m at a head scratching point lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say that they are rated too high for the stock amp, and if they are 4 ohm, you killing the power to them even more. The factory amp filters all the highs out for the door speakers, so you have that working against you as well.. Your best bet before going any farther would be to buy the https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575DS...PCvfMF8mJH9HT4Nxoi4J2qOCTyTDxTzIaArC1EALw_wcB and add an amp to power them all and the rear 6.5".

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have replaced the rear deck with infinity 6.5" speakers and the dash with infinity as well. I have also built a custom enclosure to fit in the gap along the drivers side in the trunk that houses a shallow mount 12" infinity sub. I only have the sub on an amp the others running off the stock power. I turn the bass down on the head unit which helps with the door speakers as the bass is now coming from the sub. Hope this helps.
Thanks, yes it does help me reassert that I made a good choice. I'm a little bit of an audiophile, so if I am missing something, I'll be playing around to get that full sound I want, with perhaps the door mid base subs or a mid woofer in the rear, depending on what it needs. I'll be limited with the doors on what frequency can be produced, so a rear 8" may be a better choice on a separate sub.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are way ahead of me. Continued research, saw YouTube videos of disappointed Challenger speaker swaps. One guy put Kickers in the door and they were weak next to the stock rears. So pulled the Kickers back out, put a Fluke ohmmeter across both the stock alpine and the new Kicker & found the DC resistance was lower and put the Alpines back!https://youtu.be/QdvmEGy0-mI
Have the Boston Acoustics and I have seen later model Alpine dash speakers have smaller magnets and I wonder if they changed to alpine or they just got a better quote? Fiat took over about 2011? I have looked for specs for the head unit amp section to get a handle on impedance match, but have not found much yet. They used STMicroelectronics chips that apparently handle low impedance better than the "old days". I may have to pull the BAs out and measure the DC resistance. How low can you go? haha.

But w/o ability to listen to them both who knows what to do. I believe the video when he said suddenly the stock rears were up in the mix w/ the new kickers in.
There is a real need for engineered OEM upgrade speaker kits for the Challenger that actually matches better, more efficient drivers and their impedance to the stock HU.
http://www.st.com/en/audio-ics/digital-audio-power-amplifiers.html?querycriteria=productId=SC533

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi George, do you mean replacing the dash speakers or the back ones?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can search "all speakers" in Crutchfield by impedance. Make sure your car is deleted out of the Search parameters then on the left you will see a click box with "search by ohms" 2, 2.7, 3, 4.. after searching around on the web I went ahead and ordered Infinity kappas for the rear and door. I know kind of a waste for the Triax but for the money they're still most efficient. The specs on the Kappa 3.5s topend roll off early such that I went ahead and ordered the 3 ohm Infinity Reference REF-3032CFX b/c I'm old and hesitant to put two 2 ohm speakers on the front Channel not knowing if there is a separate amp for each.
I plan to replace the rear deck first and then the front dash and leave the stock 6x9 and do them last so I can listen to each step. I could wind up ordering the 3.5 cap it's for the front anyway but I wanted to try the three ohm coax and try to be safe. And the front speaker seem to be the easiest to swap

I agree, I have been researching the 6 spkr setup and like you said putting a coax or triax in the 6x9 seem to be a waste if the factory has bi amped the 6x9s & 3,5s.
This Jeep fellow had access to some freq sweep equip, bought new 6x9s, and ripped out the tweeters and made his own chokes! Alpine/JL Replacement of Jeep 6 Speaker System - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you installed the kappa 6.5 in the rear yet?. I hear they fit then i hear they don't. Then i hear they do if you cut the hole out a little. I was going to buy some but want what fits without cutting anything

1 - 16 of 16 Posts