Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I’m new here and if this is the wrong place to post this please let me know and I apologize. I realize there are a lot of other threads about swapping radios... etc. However my dilemma is slightly different. I’m wondering if I could buy a used 8.4 radio and put it in my 2015 Challenger. Currently my car already has the same radio. I am just trying to avoid buying a brand new radio, I didn’t know if once programmed they wouldn’t be able to be reprogrammed to another vehicle. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Short answer, yes. You can buy another one and install it..used. They will send you the radio either unlocked and ready to pair, or with the unlock code. Mine was ready for me to just install it, but I got the security code also.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Will I need the vin from the car it was originally in?
Yes, you need the vin it was in and the 4 digit security code if the radio came out of another car. If you didnt get a security code with the radio you can get it from the dealer with the vin. However not all of them will do that.

Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for much for your quick and helpful responses. It shouldn’t be a problem at all getting the unlock code. Once again, thank you. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes, you need the vin it was in and the 4 digit security code if the radio came out of another car. If you didnt get a security code with the radio you can get it from the dealer with the vin. However not all of them will do that.

Ron
Actually, and speaking from the experience of having already done it, no you don't need to know the VIN of the original car. In fact the online stores who resell the radios don't have it to give to you in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts