Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a couple thoughts I want to pass along.

Note 1:
I just replaced the original battery in my 2009 SRT last month. When these batteries go, they don't give you any warning. They just go. Mine started like normal. I drove to a store, came out within 10 minutes, and it didn't even have enough power to budge the motor. Just a click. It was great, and then it was done.

Make sure you get a battery with the correct amount of Cold Cranking Amps (ccas). I don't know about other models, but I know the SRT batteries have a lot more ccas than the typical auto store might try to sell you (because the less ccas, the cheaper they are). Also, be careful on what some stores tell you. Some may quote you the Cranking Amps (cas). You don't care about the cas. You need to know the ccas. My original battery had 730 ccas. I bought a new one from Dodge and I believe it has 740 ccas. More is always better. You don't want one with less.

Note 2:
The batteries are mounted in the trunk. The trunk is considered part of the passenger compartment because air in the trunk can circulate into the front of the car.

Your original battery has two top covers. One cover has a hole that a vent tube plugs into. That vent tube goes down through the floor so any time the battery vents, it vents the gases outside the passenger compartment. The other top cover does not have a vent hole. It is sealed.

I have no idea if new aftermarket batteries have a provision to plug-in your vent tube. I can tell you this about the new Dodge battery: It also has two top covers. However, both of the top covers have open vent ports. So, I had two open vent ports and only one vent tube.

The new Dodge battery came with flat plugs covering the battery terminals. One of them had a decal that said, "Installation instructions." I initially disregarded them because I know how to install a battery. However, I later found out that those instructions tell you to cut off the vent plug that is molded into that flat plastic piece and put it into the "other" open vent port on the other top cover - sealing it off. So, don't throw anything away until you see and use the vent hole plug.

My original SRT battery:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Interesting. I have a long way till I need a battery in my Challenger but I'll look this article up when I do.
I replace the battery in all our cars every 5 years. I used to sell batteries (and other parts) and it seemed like that was the median point- some failed earlier, some lasted longer. I'd rather just swap it out and not risk getting stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
479 Posts
More is always better. You don't want one with less.
Not necessarily true. A battery only has so much interior space to fit the lead plates. A battery with more CCAs has thinner plates than a battery of the same size with less CCAs. The thicker the plates are, the longer the battery will produce the rated CCAs.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Question was there not a recall to replace this battery and 2 of the ground cables, one at the battery and one at the transmission? The dealer after all these years contacted me on the srt and said I need to get this done, well that is great then I will have a new battery :)

PS thanks a great post too!

·
Registered
643 Posts
This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone replacing a battery with an automaker branded battery. I would imagine that there are options for aftermarket from standard auto parts stores, rather than going through Dodge.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone replacing a battery with an automaker branded battery. I would imagine that there are options for aftermarket from standard auto parts stores, rather than going through Dodge.
The original battery lasted how long? Some 2009 cars still on the original battery? I'd say that's a good battery and see no reason to experiment with some aftermarket peice. Also you have the venting issue as mentioned above, another good reason to stay OEM. Plus I just like OEM parts, no need to wonder about what you're buying, you know it will work and be right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
643 Posts
The original battery lasted how long? Some 2009 cars still on the original battery? I'd say that's a good battery and see no reason to experiment with some aftermarket peice. Also you have the venting issue as mentioned above, another good reason to stay OEM. Plus I just like OEM parts, no need to wonder about what you're buying, you know it will work and be right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I would venture to actually say the opposite. That battery that is stamped with Chrysler/Dodge is more than likely made by one of the larger battery manufacturers and rebranded. I would indeed wonder what I was buying if I were to buy a Dodge branded battery...

With that being said, if it's true, then it probably also costs more coming straight from a Dodge dealer, rather than an auto parts shop. I'd certainly be interested if anyone knows who manufacturers the batteries for Dodge. I found posts on a Dodge truck forum where people stated the manufacturer is Interstate/Optima brand (Johnson Controls), but I have not confirmed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If I remember right there's only three companies making virtually all car batteries: Exide, Delco, and Johnson Control. Doesn't matter who's name is on the case (Mopar, Sears, Interstate...) it's made by one of these companies and there's very little difference from one to another. Just don't buy one with less CCA's than your original, change it out at five years (if it hasn't gone out on you already) and watch that you don't get any corrosion on your terminals- I've seen that cause havoc with the computers in a lot of cars. YMMV.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well . . . for my first 40 years of driving, I was right there with you. I always bought aftermarket when it came to batteries. This is the first car I've ever had that had it mounted in the trunk . . . with a vent hose.

I am the "research everything to death before I buy it" type of person. As I said, mine was good; then it was dead: And I had a cruise-in to go to in a few hours. I didn't know if aftermarket batteries had the vent hose provision, and I didn't have time to call around. I called Dodge. They had one for what I thought was a decent price. And I knew it would fit and have the vent hose connection. So, I went that route.

As I'm looking them up now:
Sears. 790 ccas. $162
Autocraft. 790 ccas. $187
Dodge. 740 ccas. $177

Like I said, Dodge had the battery that I knew would drop right in place and have the vent port, for a decent price, so I went that route.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well . . . for my first 40 years of driving, I was right there with you. I always bought aftermarket when it came to batteries. This is the first car I've ever had that had it mounted in the trunk . . . with a vent hose.

I am the "research everything to death before I buy it" type of person. As I said, mine was good; then it was dead: And I had a cruise-in to go to in a few hours. I didn't know if aftermarket batteries had the vent hose provision, and I didn't have time to call around. I called Dodge. They had one for what I thought was a decent price. And I knew it would fit and have the vent hose connection. So, I went that route.

As I'm looking them up now:
Sears. 790 ccas. $162
Autocraft. 790 ccas. $187
Dodge. 740 ccas. $177

Like I said, Dodge had the battery that I knew would drop right in place and have the vent port, for a decent price, so I went that route.
Thanks for posting the prices. I wasn't trying to knock you...just saying it was new to me. Never seen anyone go to a dealer for a battery. Then again I've never changed out a battery on either of my cars.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The original battery lasts so long because its mounted in the trunk where its at least 100 degrees cooler when the engine's running than it is under the hood. I still doubt that I'll replace it with a Mopar branded battery when the time comes. Those are made by who knows who- probably the usual suspects like Johnson Controls or Exide. If a crummy OEM battery lasts that long in the cool of the trunk, a nice aftermarket Deka, Enersys, or Northstar AGM battery might just last the rest of the life of the car. When I switched to Northstar or Enersys on my older cars, my battery life went from ~ 2 years to unknown... because I haven't replaced one yet after 4 years!

·
Registered
930 Posts
If I remember right there's only three companies making virtually all car batteries: Exide, Delco, and Johnson Control.
Actually, you gotta cross Delco off that list. Johnson Controls or Exide makes most all Delco, Mopar, Motorcraft, Duralast, Duracell, and Diehard batteries, Interstate, and all sorts of other brands. They're well-known for being 2-year wonders, mostly made in Mexico or elsewhere overseas. Even Optima got bought 10+ years ago and ruined by moving production from Colorado to Mexico (Johnson Controls). The problem is, it can be really hard to figure out who really makes a given battery, since not all Diehards (for example) are even made by the same company.

East Penn (aka Enersys), Deka, and Northstar (a spin-off of Deka) are in a different league, and make very solid products, all made in the USA. But you pay for them, and they're harder to find with two exceptions that I'm aware of: Enersys makes the Diehard Platinum (not any other Diehard) for Sears, and Northstar makes the "X2Power" AGM for Batteries Plus.

I need to see if I can find out any details about who makes the Mopar group 94R AGM battery, because it actually looks a whole lot like the Enersys replacement 94R (right down to the built-in lift handles), and given the prices quoted earlier in the thread that would be a SCREAMING good deal on an Enersys battery. Like half what an Enersys Odyssey branded battery lists for.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Many recommend planning to replace the battery at 3-year intervals, as most times the battery gives no signs that it is failing and will simply 'die' without warning. I would not go beyond 4 years at most without replacing.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Mopar batteries only have an 18 month warranty.

Many recommend planning to replace the battery at 3-year intervals, as most times the battery gives no signs that it is failing and will simply 'die' without warning. I would not go beyond 4 years at most without replacing.
I have the original battery in my 2003 Durango - am I doing something wrong?

Keep it charged and drive on :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts