Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Did any you guys get the recall battery replacement ever on the srt?
I bought my car new in July 2009 and it was already done.

Many recommend planning to replace the battery at 3-year intervals, as most times the battery gives no signs that it is failing and will simply 'die' without warning. I would not go beyond 4 years at most without replacing.
Just my opinion: People that sell batteries recommend that.
I'm 57 years old and keep my vehicles a long time. I've lived in PA, upstate NY, Florida, Germany, and now Virginia. I've had cars a long time in each climate.

I've never had one need to be replaced before it was at least 5 years old. Most of mine have lasted around 6 years, some longer. This particular vehicle lasted 6 years and at least 1 month. Instead of replacing batteries before they're due, I bought good jumper cables for each vehicle, have them in each trunk, and taught my wife and daughter how to use them. So when the time comes for one to fail, I get somone to give me a jump, drive it home, and replace it. The jumper cables cost me much less than replacing batteries before they're due, less than these new energy storage packs, and will last forever. If my wife is driving by herself and that car fails, she always has her cell phone and will stay in the store (or wherevver) until I get there. Again, just my personal theory.

Ps. When my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas years ago I showed her, "These jumper cables."

·
Registered
669 Posts
I agree with Rick, I just replaced a Red Top Optima in my F-150 that I had in there over 10yrs and it was still running strong. The only reason I replaced it was before changing the alternator I decided to disconnect it and used to much force on the old terminals and cracked the case, purely my fault. Needless to say I replaced it with another Red Top Optima and when the Challenger battery dies it will get replaced with one also. Simply replacing your battery because its 3 years old is a big waste of money in my opinion. Do you also spend 3 months gross salary (1/3 of your yearly take home pay) on your old lady's engagement ring because the jeweler said its a new rule they created?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I used to drive a Crown Vic. During one business trip, I got in the car in the AM to drive to the conference I was attending. Car would not start. Dead. Seemed kinda strange, as the battery was 4 years + 5 months old at that point.

I called AAA and a fellow in a huge flatbed showed up within 20 minutes. He looked the car over, jumped it from a huge set of cables at the underside of his truck, told me to leave it running at least 15 minutes and then get going. I said OK, and he left.

I got in the car after 30 minutes, put it in gear and it died.

I called AAA again, and the same guy showed up within 10 minutes. Couldn't revive the car. He pulled it onto the flatbed and we drove over to the local shop. The replaced the battery (and nothing else) and I went on my way with no further issues.

Perhaps my experience was quite unique, but that particular episode showed me that, yes, a battery can completely give up the ghost with no hope of successful jumping, without warning and within 4 years' time.

P.S. Not my business to tell others what to do, but my spending around $125 on a new battery every 3-4 years is such minimal cost relative to the convenience and peace of mind it returns that it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No problem DJ. All is well. It's always good to hear everyone's experiences and what plan works for them.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for posting the prices. I wasn't trying to knock you...just saying it was new to me. Never seen anyone go to a dealer for a battery. Then again I've never changed out a battery on either of my cars.
Well, now you know at least 2 people. When my 2011 Challenger battery died (I left the trunk open for 10 days and it would not take a charge no matter how long I tried to jump it), I just called up my dealer and same as rick s, they had what I wanted in stock and ready to go. And if I remember right, I think I only paid around $150 or so (that was about 2 years ago). Like rick, I was worried about the vent tubing and figured, safer to just stick with an OEM battery. Plus, my dealership is closer to my house than Pep Boys or Autozone, so my neighbor didn't have to drive me very far.

As for changing it out, its actually really easy on this car since it is in the trunk. Nothing is in the way, comes right out and drops right in. Some cars the battery is buried under the fender or there is a hose or 2 close to it or whatever. This is easy as can be. Not that a battery was ever that hard to replace.

·
Super Moderator
13,605 Posts
As I'm looking them up now:
Sears. 790 ccas. $162
Autocraft. 790 ccas. $187
Dodge. 740 ccas. $177

I plan to buy my replacement battery at Walmart. Their Everstart batteries are made by Johnson Controls and are excellent. They come with 5-year warranties and high cca numbers.

Here are the two types that fit the 5.7 and 6.1 engines (with vent caps):

Platinum- AGM H7
850 cca
$164.86

Maxx-H7
790 cca
$149.97

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can also move up to the larger, more powerful Group 49 police battery, which in many instances is actually cheaper than the odd Group 94R battery. Fortunately, the Challenger battery trays come predrilled with a mounting boss for the Group 49 battery, and only require the smaller police hold down clamp 05112059AB to facilitate installation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
9 year old battery

9 years 4 months since I picked up my 2009 Challenger SRT. Low milage, 24,000 miles. Drove the car last weekend to a show, no problems. Yesterday it's deader than a hammer. Planning on just getting an OEM battery from the same dealer where I got the car. Figure if it worked just great for that long a time, might as well get the same one. I tend to keep cars a long time. Still have a 1972 Road Runner I bought brand new.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Planning on just getting an OEM battery from the same dealer where I got the car. Figure if it worked just great for that long a time, might as well get the same one.
Makes sense to me, why be a test pilot for some aftermarket junk, FCA you know tested countless batteries and the one they picked obviously lasted.

I tend to keep cars a long time. Still have a 1972 Road Runner I bought brand new.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Makes sense to me, why be a test pilot for some aftermarket junk, FCA you know tested countless batteries and the one they picked obviously lasted.

Little more to it than that. I like to "buy" local and have a solid relationship with the dealer, specifically their parts department. I have a variety of vehicles and batteries. Mazda truck and Jeep Cherokee have Auto Zone Duralast Gold, Motor home (aka rollin' condo) has Interstate. (2 - 12 volt, 4 - 6 volt) Beeper has an Optima. Hellcat has original battery, but only a couple of years old.

Considering the Challenger only has 24,000 miles give or take a few in 9+ years, might not be the "average" Mope muscle car owner profile.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do the AGM batteries have the vent tube too? Once you remove and replace the battery do you have to reset or recalibrate anything? What about a PCM that has a tune? I have a 2013 SRT with the original battery and after reading this whole thread I bet my drop dead day is coming soon. So to avoid being stranded I'm going to buy a new one probably an AGM.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do the AGM batteries have the vent tube too? Once you remove and replace the battery do you have to reset or recalibrate anything? What about a PCM that has a tune? I have a 2013 SRT with the original battery and after reading this whole thread I bet my drop dead day is coming soon. So to avoid being stranded I'm going to buy a new one probably an AGM.
No problems. Took battery out on Saturday, new one went back in on Monday. Had to set clock in radio. I have the basic, sound system, and don't have the touch screen system either, also it's a six speed so no automatic transmission electronics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the original battery in my 2003 Durango - am I doing something wrong?

Keep it charged and drive on :)
Today.... just now I got a hint that my ORIGINAL battery from when I bought my ‘09 Challenger R/T in May of 2009 might be giving it up. That’s 10 1/2 years! Car has only 26k on the odometer and has a space in the garage permanently so doesn’t sit outside more than a few days a year. This article is very informative. Is is recommended to attach a battery charger to the cables and run the trickle 2A charge while switching out the batteries? I’ve never changed out one of these batteries in the trunk before or one that has such delicate electronics that need to be powered up all the time.

I had an identity as Redliner years ago on this site but couldn’t find my password! HA!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The battery in my 2015 was tired so I replaced it with an Odyssey 94R-850 that I purchased through Auto Zone.

Simple installl as the vent plug is included on the new battery’s positive terminal plastic cover, and the OEM vent tube attaches in the same position as on the original battery. Attached jumper cables to posts under hood while changing battery to maintain power.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts