Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not real fond of the stock OEM rims that come on my 2018 SRT that I have on order.I have been pricing the factory OEM #2528H hyper black silver rims (20X9.5)but my lord they want $2,200-$3,300 for all 4 rims that are reconditioned. My question how well made are Replica rims compared to factory OEM rims?:D

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Not real fond of the stock OEM rims that come on my 2018 SRT that I have on order.I have been pricing the factory OEM #2528H hyper black silver rims (20X9.5)but my lord they want $2,200-$3,300 for all 4 rims that are reconditioned. My question how well made are Replica rims compared to factory OEM rims?:D
Your OEM rims are forged aluminum, replicas are likely cast aluminum.

I suggest you google what the big differences between forged and cast wheels are.

·
Premium Member
9,679 Posts
Are you searching online to maybe find a nice set that we’re take offs? My son found me five brand new
take offs for my Jeep. The guy bought his wife a new Jeep and put the wheels from his last one on the new one. There was only 16 miles on the tires. Also seeing his new Jeep we knew we weren’t buying stolen parts. Basically we paid what the tires would have been new and got the rims and sensors free. There are deals out there. Use www.SearchTempest.com it covers Craig’s list from all over.

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you searching online to maybe find a nice set that we’re take offs? My son found me five brand new
take offs for my Jeep. The guy bought his wife a new Jeep and put the wheels from his last one on the new one. There was only 16 miles on the tires. Also seeing his new Jeep we knew we weren’t buying stolen parts. Basically we paid what the tires would have been new and got the rims and sensors free. There are deals out there. Use www.SearchTempest.com it covers Craig’s list from all over.
Thanks for the search tempest link.Been looking for a few weeks now.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ass.Just asking a question.
Give a man a fish, and he's fed for a day.

Teach a man to fish, and he'll be fed the rest of his life.

I this case, I guess I lead the man to water, but I couldn't make him fish.

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Give a man a fish, and he's fed for a day.

Teach a man to fish, and he'll be fed the rest of his life.

I this case, I guess I lead the man to water, but I couldn't make him fish.
AMEN..Carry on:grin2:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
shut up you makin me hungry... :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Someone shoulda taught you how to fish.

And then lightly fry that fish with some butter and old bay.

Ha!, I know how to fish....and House autry rules...:grin2:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Let me ask a related question here. For aftermarket wheels, how do we know if any testing was done on them and the specific application.

For example. The same wheel comes in size 16, 17,18, 20. Let's just say a wheel size 16 inch wheel is for a car 2,300lbs. But the 20 inch wheel is for a 4,000lbs car. Did anyone test it to see if it can carry the load of a 4,000lbs car?

Yes, I know if fits, but does it work?

What about national dealers like Discount Tire or Tire Rack? Do they actually test wheels? Or just go with what "fits."

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me ask a related question here. For aftermarket wheels, how do we know if any testing was done on them and the specific application.

For example. The same wheel comes in size 16, 17,18, 20. Let's just say a wheel size 16 inch wheel is for a car 2,300lbs. But the 20 inch wheel is for a 4,000lbs car. Did anyone test it to see if it can carry the load of a 4,000lbs car?

What about national dealers like Discount Tire or Tire Rack? Do they actually test wheels? Or just go with what "fits."
Glad to see we are back on track with good questions verses fish talk.:grin2:

·
Registered
328 Posts

FactoryReproductions.com. Ask Bruce about that.

·
Registered
899 Posts
That’s a great point on wheel size and integrity, I’d think (I’ve been wrong before, lol) that there should be a strength standard, I found this and google has more, https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=90
Yes, true. I guess my question takes it a step further, in that do they test the wheels. Using the same example, the 16" wheel is for a Camry. The 18" wheel may be for a Sienna minivan. Same platform, but perhaps 2,000 lbs heavier.

Since many aftermarket wheels use a hub centric ring, so everything under the sun can fit. I'm guessing they only test the fit, and not load and strength.

Along that line, wheels for trucks. Trucks are used in very different ways. How would one know if the wheels can handle the owner's requirements? I would think one can't just buy any wheel that looks good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts