Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Can't you share those guidelines, tire to rim widths, etc with the rest of the forum?
This?

Safely approved rim widths for your tire sizes are as follows:

275/40R-20: (8.5" to 10.5")

315/35R-20: (10.0" to 13.0")

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
This?

Safely approved rim widths for your tire sizes are as follows:

275/40R-20: (8.5" to 10.5")

315/35R-20: (10.0" to 13.0")

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That is interesting. Most guidelines I've seen indicate 9" as the narrowest for a 275/40.and 10.5" for the 315/35.
I tend to go with the individual tire manufacturers recommendations and even then I try to get the so-called design width for a tire. The design width is what the tire manufacturers used as a wheel width when stating the tires width. Since tire widths change when mounted on different wheel widths. (Tire width increases or decreases approx. 2/10's of an inch up or down for each 1/2" change in wheel width.)

Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,267 Posts
I always see 9"-11" for the 275/40-20, and 10.5" - 12.5" for the 315/35-20

A Guy

·
Vendor
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
There is a US T&RA but I don't believe the published content is available for free.

A couple of points to consider here is that a*narrower wheel on the suggested rim width range for a tire size may give up some handling but will tend to deliver a cushier ride because the sidewall has more flex. Whereas a wider wheel on the suggested rim width range for a tire size tends to handle and respond better to steering input but may give up some ride quality due to less sidewall flex. As, tomlaq noted, the measuring rim width tends to deliver the ideal blend of both comfort and handling.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I found this to be pretty handy. Said to have been obtained from a DT employee. Seems to match what I've seen on their website.
That's interesting, as I was just about to comment on the fact that the recommended wheel to tire width range changes with the profile of the tire. I noticed that when looking at manufacturers listings of recommended ranges. I've never seen a list like that before.

That's another reason I'm not too crazy about these generic lists that just compare tire width to rim widths. You can't go wrong if you use the tire manufacturers recommended range.

Of course, there are many out there that have deviated substantially from the recommendations with no known adverse effects. But that's another story.:smile:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yep, I noticed that too during my tire search. The taller your sidewall is, the narrower a rim you can use generally.

DT follows the manufacturer's recs pretty closely with a couple notable exceptions, for me anyway. For one, they will mount a 295/40 on a 9.5" rim. I'm going to take advantage of that!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm ready to pull the trigger on 20x9 20x10.5 widebody wheels, but I want to see a photo of the 20x9 actual wheels installed to verify if the dish is deep enough. The simulated views make them look flat, not liking that look.
Does anyone have photos of the 20x9 widebody wheels installed?

·
Vendor
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Vendor
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
those demon replicas look so good... its almost decision time for me... trying to go from chrome to black...gotta keep these in mind
Let us know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I actually have those wheels already on my 300, my question was specific to the widebody wheels, 20 x9 front 20x10.5 rear - photos ( does not matter if its LC or LX platform, just want to see the widebody wheel's dish installed in a 20x9.

Does anyone have pictures?

·
Vendor
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
41 - 54 of 54 Posts