Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reposting to keep this current in hopes of hearing back from someone with a definitive answer. I think Dodge should put a new engine in my SRT to restore my confidence and take this mill back to see what went wrong. Here is the original:

2009 Challenger SRT, Auto, 10,800 miles YOUNG. Broke it in very gently, never raced it or pushed it hard. Only things added were a K&N Air Raid cold air intake and Flowmaster 40's for better breathing and sound.

Oil changed at 1,500 and 3,000 due to "old school belief" of break-in. Changed again at 6,000 and 9,000 - ALWAYS MOBIL-1 0W40 FULL SYNTHETIC. Changed oil often due to time since last change versus mileage since last change.
Had to dealer several times for noisy tapping/rattling during cold start warm up. Always seemed to go away after oil temp reached 110-120. Dealer said tapping was normal lifter noise inherent in the 6.1 SRT engines.

As car reached approx'y 10,000 miles, tapping was getting louder, lasting longer, and a few weeks ago while the car was in the garage running for it's weekly start-up during winter non-driving weather, it began a VERY LOUD knocking.
Took to dealer, said lifter went bad, they would replace all of them under warranty, easy repair, just pull intake, replace lifters and reseal engine. Went in 3 days later, BOTH heads are off, engine is having "open-heart surgery'.

WTF BATMAN - THIS IS AN SRT!!! Has anyone else had these loud tapping noises or anything similar? How can I get in touch with the SRT Team for their input and thoughts?
I am VERY disheartened by the whole thing. I had a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab with 5.7, and recently traded it in for a 2010 2500 CrewCab with the 5.7. I have ALWAYS been a MOPAR MADMAN - LOVE THEM, but this flat out stinks.
In my opinion, the car and engine will never be the same, ever. The factory engine has been opened...
Thoughts, input, encouragement, solutions??? I am ready to let the dealer purchase the car back for a large loss, because I do not trust it will be corrected. They said it is finished, and when I went to pick it up, it was making the same tapping/rattling that originally caught my attention in the first place. How long until it knocks again or blows up, this time not under warranty???

SRT TEAM- IF YOU READ THIS and would like to get in direct contact with me, my personal e-mail is [email protected]

Dealer said they replaced lifters and rockers. I have not picked it up yet due to still making the original noise. This is freakin' disgusting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would check the lemon law in your state. In California (where I live) it is three repairs for the same problem and they have to give a full refund. Good Luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnaks, but Dodge is not willing to admit the problem. I have researched all the SRT/Dodge/Challenger/300C/Cherokee/Charger/Magnum sites, and have found way too many complaints of tapping that led to early engine detonation. I am getting rid of this POS before it dies again OUT of warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they had to recall all the 6.1's due to a design flaw, the CEO's would not be able to maintain their 7 and 8 digit salaries, so they leave it to the consumer to suck it up.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Design flaw? I hardly think it's a design flaw. These motors will run 200k no problem if you leave them alone. You may be stuck with a poor dealership.....Oh yeah....the lifters are under the heads, thats why they were off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the lifters were under the heads, I researched this problem in depth. There are a lot of people with the 6.1 that state it sounds like a "sewing machine". I had no problem with the rythmic tapping, figured it was the hydraulic lifters, but when it grew into a knocking with it, it became unacceptable. It was embarrassing to drive it to the local car shows. There are also quite a few owners who have had the tapping whose engine has grenaded on them. All I can say is Thank God for the warranty, now I can sell it and try to recoup some of my money. Not willing to take the chance that this will happen to the engine again out of warranty, which, from all the posts across the different SRT sites, sounds like it will happen again.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I know the lifters were under the heads, I researched this problem in depth. There are a lot of people with the 6.1 that state it sounds like a "sewing machine". I had no problem with the rythmic tapping, figured it was the hydraulic lifters, but when it grew into a knocking with it, it became unacceptable. It was embarrassing to drive it to the local car shows. There are also quite a few owners who have had the tapping whose engine has grenaded on them. All I can say is Thank God for the warranty, now I can sell it and try to recoup some of my money. Not willing to take the chance that this will happen to the engine again out of warranty, which, from all the posts across the different SRT sites, sounds like it will happen again.
I've always associated engine "knocking" to piston-thru-crankshaft type problems, not the valve train. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I agree gr8

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hippie freak-
Can you share the links you researched on lifter noises?
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to any of the SRT Forums, search "6.1 Hemi tapping", or "knocking noise from 6.1 Dodge Hemi engine" etc. There are forums for all the different SRT lines. Google also provided a lot of links with those search variables. I can accept the noisy lifters, it was when it went knocking that got under my skin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How can it be out of warranty!!! There no way it can be out of warranty, because you had it serviced at a dealer!! You need to take it to another dealer!!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You are way overboard on this. Let the dealership make the repair and drive the wheels off of it. I would always prefer to have my motor pulled down and looked at by a human versus the computer driven machines that do it on the assembly line. So, Hippie roll yourself a fatty and relax. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Challenger SRT8 is 366 days old today and only has 3000 miles on it. Since day one I have noticed a clear lifter tap, tap, tap, tap only when I start up AFTER it has been turned off for 60-90 minutes. Never happens when cold or if I start up soon after its been off (say, 20-30 minutes). Only lastes for 5 seconds or so and you can hear it get softer and softer, then go away as oil pressure builds. No other issues, did my first oil change myself at 2500 miles w/ Mobil 1 (0-40) and a K&N oil filter... didnt change anything. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

UPDATE: SRT engineers state this could be "Air getting purged from the system, not a durability or driveability issue"

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Challenger SRT8 is 366 days old today and only has 3000 miles on it. Since day one I have noticed a clear lifter tap, tap, tap, tap only when I start up AFTER it has been turned off for 60-90 minutes. Never happens when cold or if I start up soon after its been off (say, 20-30 minutes). Only lastes for 5 seconds or so and you can hear it get softer and softer, then go away as oil pressure builds. No other issues, did my first oil change myself at 2500 miles w/ Mobil 1 (0-40) and a K&N oil filter... didnt change anything. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
Hey,
^^^I totally agree with this if it is a tap-tap-tap. From what you've said it's a knock-knock-knock. I get the tapping when I start her and it goes away as soon as pressure is achieved.....regardless of running time. Of course it's a lot more pronounced and a little longer of a duration at cold start up vs. sitting for minutes before startup (usually a few seconds).
Regardless if it's a tap-tap.....your good.
If it's a knock-knock, danger Will Robertson!
I had an old Toyota (hey, don't judge me, man!) that did the knock-knock thing and it was due to spark plugs, tuning, etc. That was a "few" years ago. As far as these new cars go, it's all dictated by a computer. No error codes.......What? If the sound you heard was a knock sound, and it was inconsistant, you should have got an error code ( I would think, anyway). Did it sound like a constant knock on the door or was it inconsistant?
I might be missing something in the previous posts. I'm by no means an expert. Just want to help if I can. :)
-Russ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts