Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any dealership tech tell me the benefit of having your Challenger serviced at the dealership vs doing it yourself?

·
Registered
424 Posts
If it's like mine, the benefit would be oil filters installed over old O-rings with the result being a decorative oil spray all over the vehicle. Yay!

·
Registered
274 Posts
They will do any software updates while it is in for service. I have seen this on my bill several times for the Challenger and my Ram truck. That is something you will not be doing at home.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
If your car is still under warranty, they will have a record of your dealer maintenance. This would be especially helpful if you had to file a claim. The down side is that dealer work is very expensive.

If you do your own work, you will have to keep receipts to prove that the required maintenance work was done.

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
And in addition to the receipts you have to make sure you dont miss any required or even recommended service or that might give them an out if something big happens.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. That all makes sense. Regarding the updates, I own a 2016 Shaker RT. It only has 6000 miles and I has updated on it's own twice. Maybe this is a Uconnect feature? Are there different updates the car needs?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
If you do your own work, you will have to keep receipts to prove that the required maintenance work was done.
If you do your own work, who gives you the receipt?

If you're talking about the purchase receipt, how do you prove the oil went into your car?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Also, with the dealer (assuming you have a good dealer), they'll give you more on trade because they can call it a "certified" used car.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Thanks for the info. That all makes sense. Regarding the updates, I own a 2016 Shaker RT. It only has 6000 miles and I has updated on it's own twice. Maybe this is a Uconnect feature? Are there different updates the car needs?
The UConnect updates are different than the flash updates to other parts of the car. Like the PCM and TCM updates that are sometimes needed, and sometimes make things worse.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Documentation. Doing "at home" service, without documentation, could put you in a situation where a warranty issue is denied because of "neglect".

"Neglect" is the actual word FCA will use in denying a claim.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,447 Posts
Can any dealership tech tell me the benefit of having your Challenger serviced at the dealership vs doing it yourself?
You get to pay more for it... :11:

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Documentation. Doing "at home" service, without documentation, could put you in a situation where a warranty issue is denied because of "neglect".

"Neglect" is the actual word FCA will use in denying a claim.
Anything other than doing it at the dealership will give FCA ammo to deny your claim.

·
Registered
107 Posts

If you're talking about the purchase receipt, how do you prove the oil went into your car?
I have said this all along. People say they have all the receipts, means nothing. No way to prove the work was actually done or even purchased for the car in question. We can only hope they are being truthful.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts

Here's what I do:
>print a page from the maintenance schedule
>put the date and mileage and what service performed
>attach copy of receipts / invoices for supplies I purchased

I keep physical files of the maintenance records - that's the proof.

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
That's good Hal.

I've used a composition notebook before and write every single thing I do in that book on its own page in a neat format with the date, mileage and what was done. At the bottom of the page, gluestick any receipts you may have for that service. Everything stays nice and organized and they will accept this as proof of service.

You can also register your car at mopar.com and log your services there.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

Here's what I do:
>print a page from the maintenance schedule
>put the date and mileage and what service performed
>attach copy of receipts / invoices for supplies I purchased

I keep physical files of the maintenance records - that's the proof.
Won't work according to Mopar. I called and asked, and unless the service was recorded officially, you can't prove that what you bought went into the car.

Obviously he's unaware that they have to perform an oil test before they can claim neglect, but then what's the point of saving receipts.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,787 Posts
I took pictures of oil change. Pictures will have date in metadata as well. Receipts and pictures are the best you can do if you do your own maintenance. Document as best you can. A Guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts