Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of over time adding a few mods to my 2010 SE.

Just wondering how it would affect the overall resale value of the car if it was traded in or sold to carmax down the road. Obviously a private buyer would have their own ideas about whether they are good or bad mods.

I know altering cars from stock in general is frowned upon by dealers.

From experience does anyone know if I will take a big hit down the road come trade in time for the following mods.

Magnafow 16500 dual exhaust system
K&N 63-117 cold air intake system
Diablo sport predator programmer u7136

The exhaust is the only one that couldn't be swapped back quickly with no one the wiser I assume. Course I'm old enough now to ask instead of just assuming :werd:

Obviously next step would be to check with dodge to see exactly what warranties I'm throwing out the window, especially since I bought an extended and transferable bumper to bumper warrranty.

Any other pitfalls I may not have thought of?

Been years since I tinkered with engines much.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I spent the last 22 years of my career in the car business as the general manager of a dealership. The bottom line is that we really don't like a car that is modded. It seems like a modded car comes back to bite us just about every time. We don't mind wheels and tires that are within reason, or maybe a spoiler. We generally won't bid the car any more because of those items, and sometimes we deduct. For example, if you put 22" rims on your car, we're probably going to try to figure in the cost of returning it back to stock, and deduct that amount from the bid. If the car came with 18s and you put on some nice looking 18s, we probably wouldn't deduct anything, but we would not give you any more, either. If the car has mechanical or electrical mods, or outrageous paint, or anything else that deviates very far from the norm, we're probably going to call a wholesaler and have him bid the car to buy, we wouldn't want it.

Generally speaking, mods are for your enjoyment, and the farther you deviate from stock, the less value the car has. And unless you find a buyer who would mod his car in exactly the same way you did, a private buyer is not likely to give you anything for your mods, either. From a strictly financial standpoint, mods are a no-win situation.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Flat out, anything you do that didn't come on that car, or wasn't an option which you chose to add after the fact(IE: adding mygig or nav etc) reduces value of the car. I've heard from many dealers, and even places like carmax that they don't add, and often will reduce value based on things like exhaust and intake mods because there is a potential that they were done wrong and could harm the car. Maybe not right, but thats the way of the business.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Any aftermarket mods are not going to get you anything extra from the dealership. IF you sell it private party you may get more money from the right buyer...If I were you, I would just part it out before you sell it.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I echo what everyone has already said.. especially Jon. I had an 09 Challenger R/T, with Ghost flames, CAI, Lowering springs, different wheels, Cervini Ram air. Tried to sell private party.. not even a nibble. Took it to Carmax, and I think they offered me only 20K. They even apologized profusely for insulting me, but told me, in the end, modified cars have a niche audience, and that doesn't work for them. I know by doing flames I did alot more than what you're talking about and it really does tie you into finding someone who has your same taste.

In the end, I got 28,900 from a dealership so I could buy my DY 2010. I played hardball and got lucky in my opinion. They loved the car and wanted to make a deal for it so they could put it on their showroom floor. Any other dealership there's no way I would have gotten that much at that time.

For your mods, it may not detract as much.. having aftermarket exhaust will probably not be a huge turnoff for carmax, and you should de-install the predator before you sell it (and sell predator separately if you can). CAI probably won't detract as much either.

Just do not ever expect to get anything back from a dealership for mods.. In fact, even buying private party, I don't like to buy cars with mods. You just never know (a) if they were done right and/or (b) if it is an indication the previous owner "beat" the car more than someone would normally.

Mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That re-afirms what I was thinking.

Just wanted to double check with some folks more knowledgable on the subject than I am.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I installed a shaker hood but kept the factory hood just in case.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Everything I've changed, I've kept the OE parts to go with the car if I ever sell it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts