Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 R/T Classic is receiving a new short block and heads. You could say the original cause is because of the dreaded MDS related timing chain failure... but really the cause is because the Dodge dealer that originally performed the TC failure repair work must have failed to clean up appropriately, and now the cylinders are all scored.

So my question relates to what I've read about break in, specifically that brand new cars track the mileage and don't apply the full range of VCT (Variable Cam Timing) until it hits 3750 miles.

Does anyone know whether this is a counter that gets reset during an engine replacement, or how to ask the mechanic to ensure he resets it?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I think this is the encoding of the mileage on the PCM.

When these are built, everything is at zero...the odometer settings are stored in several systems to preclude "rolling back" the mileage.

I imagine yours will probably have full VVT function when its fired up since your car is over the 3.75k mile mark.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
There will be no "re-set" per say, they should or will re-set all the PCM adaptive memory but as far as "mileage" no.
At least that's what I do with any engine replacement.

They can do a mileage check with the PCM and change it to what ever you want, it will not change the Odometer reading in the dash nor do I believe it has any factor on break-in timing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts