Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am planning to get more sound out of the car by deleting the resonators and keeping the stock mufflers.

Is it a good idea? Does deleting the resonators affects performance? Will i have to do that F2 Fuse unplug afterwards? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
you'll certainly get louder sound but with the stock mufflers the interior drone might be a killer. It won't hurt performance to remove the resonators. Dunno about fuse 2 on the 11's. If it's the same fuse for the 09/10's it won't hurt to reset it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wont affect performance. Will have a lot of drone. I didnt need to reset my '11. Will be much louder, but you should add new mufflers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks IDMT and Toupare17 for you advice.
Did anyone ever got the resonators deleted and posted a video here? I would really love to listen to the sound.

Also toupare17, where did you get the foglights installed(dealer or somewhere else) and for how much?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Thanks IDMT and Toupare17 for you advice.
Did anyone ever got the resonators deleted and posted a video here? I would really love to listen to the sound.

Also toupare17, where did you get the foglights installed(dealer or somewhere else) and for how much?
I have single exhaust and did reso delete with stock muffler (have since switched the muffler) and the drone was pretty bad before I switched the muffler.

My advice...do reso delete and change mufflers all at the same time

I went with jones full boar muffler and am very pleased.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will be installing my foglights today which a bought from the dealer, the cabling is already on the car, so you will only need to change the switch and put in the fog lamps, it is all plug and play.

Here are the model numbers for the Foglights:

Lamps: 5182025AA
Switch: 68029265AC

By the way the kit cost me about $ 120.00 after taxes. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks IDMT. I will get the mufflers as well but i will make a video of the sound(after reso delete) before i throw on the mufflers.

Thnanks nefalim for you help. I will get the foglights soon as well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had my foglights installed by the dealer and I bought them when I purchased the car and I cant remember how much it was. But just ask your dealer they should be able to do it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I went to two different shops. One said the middle one were reso and rear ones were mufflers. The other said rear were resos and middle ones were mufflers. Whoz
correct here? I just got the rear ones deleted and it is very loud and there is burst after every gear shift. Drone is unbearable.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nav - yes, it sounds terrible. Do not listen to what the exhaust shop "mechanics" say, around here 99% of them are total idiots who only live to collect a paycheck and drink beer.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I went to two different shops. One said the middle one were reso and rear ones were mufflers. The other said rear were resos and middle ones were mufflers. Whoz
correct here? I just got the rear ones deleted and it is very loud and there is burst after every gear shift. Drone is unbearable.
yep that's the resonators that have been removed.
with the 09/10 it did not sound quite so...well...ricer...sorry :(
dunno if it's a difference in the 3.6L or what.
you need new mufflers STAT!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup IDMT. I just got magnaflows 18" mufflers installed. Sounds much smoother and very less drone. Don't know if the drone will stay or go away after a while. I will post a video soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
607 Posts
No. What you had removed is the mufflers. The objects in the middle are the resonators. The two briefcase looking objects you had removed are the mufflers. You are driving around right now with resonators and no mufflers. I removed my resonators (the two pieces in the middle that you still have attached) and put new mufflers in that spot. I then removed the mufflers that were in the back (the things you just took off) and laid fresh pipe like you have now.

My recommendation, you now need to take off the resonators which are in the middle and put two mufflers (I have magnaflow and they sound great) in their spot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My recommendation, you now need to take off the resonators which are in the middle and put two mufflers (I have magnaflow and they sound great) in their spot.
Sorry i forgot to mention that i deleted those as well before i installed the magnaflow mufflers. I opted the longer ones over the 13" ones. Video coming soon!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
either way he has new Mag mufflers and no reso's.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lol yea looks like it worked out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Nav - where did you put the new mufflers? In the middle of the car or at the rear?
I put it in the middle. Its because in the rear, you barely have enough space to throw in a single chamber flowmaster. In the middle i got an 18" magnaflow installed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Lesson learned, I have a 2011 SE and I decided to remove the mufflers and the low end was horrible with weak power, the drone was annoying and drove my wife and myself insane. I took it to a shop and removed the Resonators and installed Magnaflow in its place with straight pipe out the rear. It was 10 times better and I regained my low end but I also have a fart noise that comes out the rear whenever changing gears which is my OPINION that it might be that when the car changes gears it drops certain cylinders to compensate for the torque on the crankshaft and with less backpressure the cylinders might be sucking in exhaust but without popping due to the variable valve timing adjustment and creates a fart sound when it releases the exhaust. Keep in mind I am an aircraft mechanic, not a car mechanic. Anyway with the Magnaflow I still had some drone and decided to installed two glasspacks in the rear after the magnaflow mufflers.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I will be installing my foglights today which a bought from the dealer, the cabling is already on the car, so you will only need to change the switch and put in the fog lamps, it is all plug and play.

Here are the model numbers for the Foglights:

Lamps: 5182025AA
Switch: 68029265AC

By the way the kit cost me about $ 120.00 after taxes. :browsmiley:
dealer will also need to activate the fog lights using the starmobile programmer they have. or they wont work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.