Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I'm excited and thrilled to be part of this forum as I just picked up a 2015 Challenger SXT Plus! I'm absolutely in love with this car and went straight from Dodge to Meineke to have the resonators removed for a louder sound. The resulting sound was wonderful, however I notice as I drive and take my foot off the pedal, I hear some kind of back pressure sounding noise that doesn't seem like the pipes itself, but almost sounds like a mechanical muffle noise that happens for 2 seconds and then stops! I also have an 18' Charger with the same engine that I cut the resonators off of but it doesn't make that noise! Has anyone else ever encountered this? Thanks everybody!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,837 Posts
I assume it's normal, but the resonators cancel it out as they do the offending exhaust note and drone. A Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thank you so much for responding to my post! I'm just really afraid I caused damage to my engine because I added that "engine restore" stuff to my engine and it went haywire! I had to bring it to my nearest gas station to have an oil change because the timing went off and the check engine light went on! They told me that the engine restore changed the viscosity of the oil and a 3.6 VVT engine can't read the change. Anyway since my wife's charger with the same engine doesn't make that noise I was very concerned that I caused a permanent engine issue.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,837 Posts
Well, you didn't mention any of that!. The VVT does use some oil to operate, so I suppose it's plausible, but otherwise, I don't see an engine additive causing permanent damage. Not knowing what you poured in there, or why though. If you didn't hear it until the resonator delete, then your car didn't make that noise either until that ;) Car idles smooth? No smoking? Hesitation, surging, stumble? Hard for me to say what's gone on what with you needing/wanting some "engine restore stuff".

A Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used that blue oil additive in a silver can. I believe the brand is Restore and its supposed to "restore" any compression loss in engines with 30,000 miles +. Since I have 33,000 miles on my 2015 challenger I thought I would try it since I've used it on numerous cars (most recently a 2010 camaro) and it normally helps. Well, the challenger hated it and let me know by shaking and misfiring for a good 3 miles till it all mixed together but I changed the oil anyway the next day. Now 2 weeks later it shakes very slightly till it warms up and then it runs fine. I'm hoping that's just cause it's cold out but I really hope that that exhaust "backpressure" noise isn't from that additive!

·
Banned
87 Posts
I was never a fan of Engine Oil Additives. I had a mechanic friend who showed me what Slick50 did to the inside of an engine once. He had it apart and it shallacked the the valve train.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow, thats great to know! Some of this stuff is so expensive you think its gotta work but apparently not! So I assume your not a fan of adding seafoam to the gas tank? I bought a can of that too because everyone tells me thats great stuff but now I'm extremely hesitant to use it!

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Restore works in my 1962 Sears lawn tractor that burns more oil than gas but you don't need any additive in the oil of a new car with only 30000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for all the knowledgeable feedback everybody!! Ive already learned so much in the 3 days Iv'e been on here! One more question, how do we feel about adding seafoam to a 33,000+ mile gas tank? I learned my lesson with oil additives (the hard way) but I hear from many people that running seafoam through the fuel system is a good thing to do but again, I'm very hesitant to do that!

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Many of the engines in Chrysler's line up have Variable Valve Timing - the wrong viscosity can effect how the VVT system performs.

In the V8 (with automatic) the MDS system is also specific for correct oil viscosity requirements as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahha, yeah, I learned that after my additive dilemma! My engine runs fine since the immediate oil change I did to flush it out but would you think I could have caused any permanant damage to the engine? Every so often the whole car shakes slightly while it's warming up but I almost feel thats normal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seafoam to gas tank

Hey everyone, So I'm new here and I have a bunch of questions about the challenger! First off I want to ask about seafoam. I used a different additive before and my engine went nuts and my engine light came on so I'm extremely hesitant to try it again eventhough many people say a bottle of seafoam to the gas tank is fantastic!! I've also heard it puts your engine light on too! Can anybody give me some experienced knowledge as to how this stuff works or if at all??? Thanks guys, Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts