Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put flowmaster super 44s on my RT and had the stock reso's removed. I love the sound but the drone is ridiculous. I'm thinking about putting some Vibrant resonators on it to help kill off the drone. Vibrant makes a 12in and an 18in bottle style resonator. Any suggestions on which one I should use? Will the 18in reso even fit? I'm not really an exhaust fanatic, just want to get rid of the drone.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm guessing you have an automatic trans? The reason I ask is...I have a 6 speed SRT and kept the stock mufflers and simply removed the resonators at the back for an awsome sound with no drone. This is probably because the 6 speed doesn't stay in a narrow rpm band as long as the autos do. still, we've got to address your problem....There are a lot of resonators out there and they are all made about the same way. You can get on line and check the manufacturer of your system or start searching for a good glass pack style resonator. Why not go to a local muffler shop that does custom work and talk to them?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just put some glasspacks on it for resonators.

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put flowmaster super 44s on my RT and had the stock reso's removed. I love the sound but the drone is ridiculous. I'm thinking about putting some Vibrant resonators on it to help kill off the drone. Vibrant makes a 12in and an 18in bottle style resonator. Any suggestions on which one I should use? Will the 18in reso even fit? I'm not really an exhaust fanatic, just want to get rid of the drone.
Hey PatriotJC,
Since your RT is an automatic, you may want to do a search of the forums to read up on “MDS”. Have you thought about re-installing the stock resonators?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll offer my recent experience. Bought my R/T Classic, auto, third week in Feb. Five days later had Flowmaster 40's put on/resonator delete. Two weeks ago I had aftermarket resonators put on because the drone was too much. Still has a great sound, but more pleasurable to drive and mine is a daily driver. This issue has varying opinions and in the end, it's personal preference. Hope this helped.

One other thing. Using your autostick will eliminate the MDS, if you care to keep your present setup.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
After reading hundreds of noise stories re: resonator delete, and seeing Blastin Bobs cutaway of the stock resonator, It is 2.5" in 2.5" out and the perferated mid section is 2.75", Came to understand the restriction in the stock system R/T autos was in the suitcase monstrosity that weighs 30 Lbs +, has two three pass 2.25" tubes in each section.So I had Gene , my muffler man replace the suitcase with two Magnaflows and left the stock resonators. At idle noise level was +1db and above 3200 rpm +3db. MDS has a low throaty growl at low speeds and rpms.Gene the man in the photo has installed several thousand systems and commented that the suitcase was the most off the wall stock muffler he had ever seen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final result

So, here's what I did, I put flowmaster hushower shorty resonators on and I love them. For those who have the 40's series flowmaster eshaust and don't care for the drone, the huspower reso's are awesome. No more drone, great(er) deep tone, sounds more tuned and less harsh. I'm overly pleased with the result.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So, here's what I did, I put flowmaster hushower shorty resonators on and I love them. For those who have the 40's series flowmaster eshaust and don't care for the drone, the huspower reso's are awesome. No more drone, great(er) deep tone, sounds more tuned and less harsh. I'm overly pleased with the result.
PatriotJC – Do you have video of the exhaust sound or pictures of the install? Which Hushpower’s did you use? Did you use Hushpower HP-2’s?

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a similar setup. except i got the super 44s. i will prolly end up putting some 12" glasspaks as i hate the drone but i am going to get the rotofab cai first to see if that changes the note on it....i dont wanna lose the loudness of my exhaust but i do want to get rid of the drone. as far as driving it in autostick to shut off mds...it is true that the drone is less but i think its only cuz it passes thru that drone rpm range faster but only cuz i tend to press the gas pedal more cuz it sounds better. if i was in autostick and went thru the gears as fast as full auto mode did, i beleve it would sound the same, drone wise, as if i were in full auto mode. not sure if im explaining it right. in summary, i dont think it matters which mode you are in, whenever it crosses that drone rpm range it will drone for as long as you stay in that drone rpm range...any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pitbull62 - The drone an exhaust system is subjective and is not limited to Flowmaster mufflers alone. The drone everyone refers to is the actual note that comes out of the exhaust pipe and through the case of the muffler, it’s produced from pulses that come from the valves opening and closing and the firing order of the cylinders. Some drivers are more in-tune with it than others. Some owners have been able to minimize the drone inside the car by installing extra insulation under the trunk carpet above the mufflers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts