Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had body shop cut out the resonators and put straight pipe in its place. Finally have a muscle car that sounds like one. Glad I didn't waste money buying these big name cat backs! My only regret is that I took way to long in doing it.

The sound rocks. Very little drone in the 2nd and 3rd shift range. Nice non-intrusive rumble at idle and at cruising speeds in 5th or 6th. Some nice burbling on down shifts. I'll load a video when I can. What are you guys waiting for? Don't waste your money on these expensive cat backs!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The two main benefits to the catbacks are no drone and the fact that you won't get a noise ticket hitting WOT.

With that said, I'm still glad I got mine removed but I know the sound isn't for everyone. Mine is illegally loud at 5500+ and high-pitched and 'brappy' on the overrun. Also, there is noticeable drone in 6th gear from 1800 - 2000 rpms but I just turn up the stereo at that point. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
With an auto you need a catback.Went 1 year without resos and was a tad louder than catback but sounded like a 67 283 pontiac with a busted muffler with the reso deletes.
Got a Solo exhaust and am happy with it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two main benefits to the catbacks are no drone and the fact that you won't get a noise ticket hitting WOT.

With that said, I'm still glad I got mine removed but I know the sound isn't for everyone. Mine is illegally loud at 5500+ and high-pitched and 'brappy' on the overrun. Also, there is noticeable drone in 6th gear from 1800 - 2000 rpms but I just turn up the stereo at that point. :)
It's rear that I go above 5500+rpm so that's not an issue. I don't have the drone on the highway in that rpm range.

I've heard the auto's have an issue because of the cylinder shutoff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.