Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been a confused man for over a week now trying to figure out what the difference in a resonator/mid muffler/muffler on my car is... this is some bas-akward engineering. I work in IT so terminology is EVERYTHING and I hate not knowing something correctly. So from what I have gathered....

1. the parts in front of the wheels and behind the x-pipe are the mufflers
2. the rear of the car is the resonator

with this being said, I have seen so many videos and posts about deleting the resonators only to see they are replacing the mufflers with either straight pipe or a bullet muffler. Here is my genuine dilema, I am not at all sensitive to drone like some people are and my car is an M6 car so I already have bottle style mufflers on my car. On the M6 is it still a benefit to swap the mufflers with a vibrant or dynomax race muffler? Or is it a better option t get the measurements off my resonators (in the rear) and swap that with a magnaflow muffler or something similar to get better sound. I had all but made up my mind to buy a pair of vibrants and replace the pieces in front of the wheels (mufflers) with the vibrants... but after reading that my mufflers may already be a similar designed muffler is there any real benefit to this? Most of the videos I see are automatic cars which from my understanding have a idfferent muffler design. If the vibrant bullet mufflers are going to sound pretty much exactly the same at the stock bullet style mufflers, I think replacing the resonators in the back with a nice muffler, then again, I haven't seen any videos of anyone that has done a similar setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you replace the mufflers with dynomax mini race bullets (part #24250) and do a resonator delete you will love it. I have this setup on my '19 M6 widebody scat pack and it sounds great, no drone at all.

Catalytic converters are in front, then mufflers in middle, resonators are in back. No need to touch the catalytic converters.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you replace the mufflers with dynomax mini race bullets (part #24250) and do a resonator delete you will love it. I have this setup on my '19 M6 widebody scat pack and it sounds great, no drone at all.

"love it" is a subjective thing... I almost feel like I should do the resonators and leave the mufflers alone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You could always try that setup and replace the mufflers later on if you want it louder.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could always try that setup and replace the mufflers later on if you want it louder.

probably going to be my best option

·
Registered
164 Posts
"love it" is a subjective thing... I almost feel like I should do the resonators and leave the mufflers alone.
I removed the resonators when I had my quad tips installed. Not exactly by choice. The tips wouldn't fit otherwise. I do get a bit of drone around 1800 RPM. But I have the M6 like yours so I either change gears or adjust the throttle slightly. Sounds good now and have no plans on messing with the mufflers.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I had a V6 Camaro and deleted the resonators and it made it sound like total ass, it was a V6 so it’s not a direct comparison. Mufflers quiet the exhaust, resonators stop drone and cancel out harsh frequencies. The resonator isn’t your issue, it will will be more high pitched without the resonators and lower with them. I’m deleting the mufflers and adding the bullets myself.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a V6 Camaro and deleted the resonators and it made it sound like total ass, it was a V6 so it’s not a direct comparison. Mufflers quiet the exhaust, resonators stop drone and cancel out harsh frequencies. The resonator isn’t your issue, it will will be more high pitched without the resonators and lower with them. I’m deleting the mufflers and adding the bullets myself.
I was more concerned that going from a bottle style muffler to another bullet style muffler would yield very little improvement

I’d just assume run a magnaflow setup, but not interested in their $900 price tag

·
Registered
981 Posts
I was more concerned that going from a bottle style muffler to another bullet style muffler would yield very little improvement

I’d just assume run a magnaflow setup, but not interested in their $900 price tag
Without having first hand knowledge of how it sounds I can't say how much louder it will be tbh. I'm just wary of removing resonators now because it was bad, when you went WOT it was just loud and high pitched and shrill, sounds awful...but as I said V6 so who knows. Obviously it's your car so do whatever you want and whatever YOU think sounds good, sounds good. The mini bullets are 3" shorter and have much less packing so their sound dampening is much less than the OEM one.

That to me sounds fantastic. I personally would start with a muffler delete but it's a cheap fix if you keep all these parts, you can figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not going to delete anything on my exhaust, I’m either swapping the mufflers with a set of 24222 dynomax mufflers or the vibrant equivalent which are the same length as the stock mufflers, or I’ll replace the resonators with a muffler of the same length. I live in an emissions state as well and will not go down the route of being hassled by inspections.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to follow up with this thread... swapped the mid mufflers with the dynomax race mufflers and it does sound pretty good. I’m happy with my $150 I have in the exhaust. I’m not gonna rule out the potential of buying a full car back at some point, as I’d still like to have a nice dynomax system, but for now, I’m happy with the car and how it sounds and that’ll hold me over so that I can change other things for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 09RTRob
1 - 11 of 11 Posts