Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a used non-spoiler decklid in my color (white), and recreating the 1970 R/T non-spoiler badging layout. Everyone (including me) has a rear spoiler on their R/T. I added a black Hellcat spoiler to mine for the contrast. But I could do this for cheap; about $125 for a used deck, and whatever $$ for a couple of badges. I'd just hang up my original to swap back if/when I got bored with it. Just something different. Thoughts? I'll probably photoshop it first to get an idea. Here's a '70:

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
4,908 Posts
Sounds good to me. Give you that "Vanishing Point" look when you feel like driving like Kowalski. :D Should be easy swaps when you want to go back to a spoiler look, and like you said, not much cost involved.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I think you will find that the flat area on the deck lid is tilted in such a way that the badges will be real close to vertical. I think it would look kinda jacked up. So before you buy a deck lid, and spend $80 on the badges, find a Challenger with no spoiler.

Reactions: OregonScat

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

Or

A Guy

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
I like the no spoiler look too and just saw one yesterday. Up through 2014 you could delete the rear spoiler for credit, then starting with 2018 all will have the spoiler due to the required backup camera. But I say find a pre-18 SXT trunk lid and go for it!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,988 Posts
I say give it a try, it will give you a different look from most Challengers and like you said you can always go back to the spoiler if you don't like how it looks without one.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
Kinda of a quick photoshop rendering a more 70 style look to modern Challenger.... I know the post originally said non Spoiler, but I did a render of combined looks of
some Old Cool with New Cool look... Perhaps a Retro Spoiler with the Original style Tail Lights different portioned Lettering would really pull of even more of refreshed look of the combination...

Just with Light Mod

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
My 2013.....BTW, a lot of downtown Portland is starting to look like this, barren and downtrodden.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
This is Photoshop rendered from a Photo of My Car when it was on Autotrader before I purchased it. Rendered with 70 Tail Lights it does give a cooler look IMHO , also considering to make this mod to it...

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

This is where I started with the car when I purchased it:

I've seen others do the "Challenger" script and "R/T" emblems on the RH side of the spoiler, but feel the proportion is wrong, and they look too large/tall. I went with the same "HEMI" emblem that is used on the hood. It is not without precedent, as Chrysler used "HP2" on the rear of some '66's, and "HEMI" on other later models. In my opinion, it looks factory, and should have been on all R/T models to differentiate from the base models. The SRT's already got their own badge.

Later, I felt the car needed something black on the rear to balance out the Classic graphic package, and added an '18 Hellcat spoiler recently. I just transferred the "HEMI" emblem. This is as it sits now:

The taller spoiler looks better, and the black really balances out the car, visually. I prefer the look of the "notchless" spoilers. Again, I think this should have at least been a factory option. I feel the "HEMI" emblem is elegant, understated, and gets the message across.

Which brings me to now. I found some deck lids on line for cheap, and got to thinking about a retro spoiler-less look. The turn-down angle is similar to the '70's models, so the reveal for the emblems would be similar. I'll likely purchase reproduction '70 emblems to get the scale right, and use the same placement.

I think it would really set the car apart visually from other R/T's, and Classics. And, if I end up getting tired of it, I can use the deck lid as a wall hanger, and put the Hellcat spoiler deck lid back on.

I try to resist fixing something that isn't broken, visually, but I'm always thinking about ways to tune in the appearance in subtle ways. Again, doing things that could/should have been done by the factory. I had a '10 Classic prior to this one, and really wish I had a set of Heritage wheels like the earlier models came with. Just so much more "retro" looking.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts

View attachment 1007250

I've seen others do the "Challenger" script and "R/T" emblems on the RH side of the spoiler, but feel the proportion is wrong, and they look too large/tall. I went with the same "HEMI" emblem that is used on the hood. It is not without precedent, as Chrysler used "HP2" on the rear of some '66's, and "HEMI" on other later models. In my opinion, it looks factory, and should have been on all R/T models to differentiate from the base models. The SRT's already got their own badge.

Later, I felt the car needed something black on the rear to balance out the Classic graphic package, and added an '18 Hellcat spoiler recently. I just transferred the "HEMI" emblem. This is as it sits now:

View attachment 1007251

The taller spoiler looks better, and the black really balances out the car, visually. I prefer the look of the "notchless" spoilers. Again, I think this should have at least been a factory option. I feel the "HEMI" emblem is elegant, understated, and gets the message across.

Which brings me to now. I found some deck lids on line for cheap, and got to thinking about a retro spoiler-less look. The turn-down angle is similar to the '70's models, so the reveal for the emblems would be similar. I'll likely purchase reproduction '70 emblems to get the scale right, and use the same placement.

I think it would really set the car apart visually from other R/T's, and Classics. And, if I end up getting tired of it, I can use the deck lid as a wall hanger, and put the Hellcat spoiler deck lid back on.

I try to resist fixing something that isn't broken, visually, but I'm always thinking about ways to tune in the appearance in subtle ways. Again, doing things that could/should have been done by the factory. I had a '10 Classic prior to this one, and really wish I had a set of Heritage wheels like the earlier models came with. Just so much more "retro" looking.

Cheers!

JD
Your car looks unique. Like it.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

View attachment 1007250

View attachment 1007251

Cheers!

JD
If you were closed id swap as I am gonna put on a spoiler on my challenger

·
Registered
584 Posts
My old 2013 R/T had that set up on the spoiler.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts