Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another mod for the retro-heads. This write-up is designed to be part of the "Retro Mod" series I have previously authored for forum member searches and reference. The
following includes part numbers, a materials list, and instructions for installation of "DODGE" hood letters, replicating the appearance of the 1970-74 Challengers. The instructions provided serve merely as a guide, and can be altered as necessary to achieve the personally desired look.

Preface:

-The lateral measurements used for this modification are scaled from those of a 1970 Challenger hood, as the current Challenger hood is 20% larger than the 1970-74 models. The letters follow a blended contour line (between a straight line and the contoured hood edge) like the 1970-74 Challenger hoods. Unlike the 2008+ Challenger, the 1970-74 hoods
extend fully to the front of the vehicle. The scaled fore/aft measurements herein were adjusted to place the letters slightly aft of the hood edge to prevent crowding toward the forward edge (when using the 70-74 measurements) for a more aesthetic appearance.

Part:

-DODGE letters (Mopar p/n 57010789AA)

These letters are for the 2009-2012 Dodge Nitro, Grand Caravan, and Dakota. They have the correct open "D,” and are slightly larger than the OEM Challenger rear taillight panel
letters. You can use the Challenger rear tail panel letters (each letter sold individually), however reduction of letter spacing may be necessary for aesthetics.

Materials:

-Blue painters or masking tape
-Pencil
-Fine point marker
-Scissors
-Dish soap
-Isopropyl alcohol
-Lint-free cloths
-Tape measure
-Ruler or straight edge

Instructions:

1. Using a permanent marker, number the clear top film of the first three letters to ensure they are installed in the same order.
2. Label orientation of the "O" (the bottom of the letter is more blunt than the top) to ensure proper orientation during final placement.

3. Cut letters apart, leaving top and bottom film attached.

4. Clean front of hood with hot water mixed with dish soap to strip any wax.
5. Lay reference tape down along both left and right inner (longitudinal) style/crease lines.
6. Lay reference tape down along both left and right forward (lateral) hood style/crease lines.
7. The outer corner where the longitudinal and lateral crease line tapes intersect will be used as measurement aids along the way.

8. Determine hood center using front fascia center crease, confirming measurements are even to both hood corners.
9. Mark a horizontal line 1-3/8" from the hood edge at the centerline point. This will be the bottom placement line for the middle "D.”
10. Mark a horizontal line 1/8" above the centerline. This will be the bottom placement line for the "O" and "G.”
11. Mark a horizontal line 1/4 inch above the centerline. This will be the placement line for the first "D" and "E.”
12. Peel enough tape from the center to allow placement of the "D.”

13. Lay additional tape strips as necessary to serve as positioning guides for final placement of remaining letters.
14. Clean area with isopropyl alcohol.
15. Install middle "D.” A dedicated decal application gel (available from Phoenix Graphix) or soapy water can be used to assist positioning before adhesive sticks to hood surface.
16. Measure 7" left and right from hood centerline to mark positions of the first "D" and "E" letter centers, mark on the tape.
17. Using a straight edge as a guide, install first "D" and "E" by repeating steps 12-14. The straight edge will ensure the letters are properly tilted and follow a straight line toward the middle "D.”

18. Install "O" and "G" along the same straight edge guidelines, placing the centerline 3-3/4" from the center of each letter flanking the left and right.

Once complete, each letter center should be exactly 3-3/4" apart (between letter centerlines), 1-9/16" from the outside of the left "D" and the right of the "E" to the longitudinal hood style lines, aligned in a shallow arc closely following the hood front edge.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for this. Have been wanting to do this for a long time and now you just have made it so easy I have no excuse!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Really nice work on the layout. This mod is not my cup of tea, but have to admire the prep in getting everything lined up.
Great planning

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
I had mine airbrushed on about ten years ago when I had a full on custom paint job done. I went with the letters on the header panel instead of the hood. They seemed more natural there to me. I had the Challenger, Hemi and Pentastar done on the fenders as well. The Pentastar is on the right fender only as normal.

391690_3862327401356_736471645_n.jpg
102_3746.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts