Dodge Challenger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Try to understand if your going for scale accuracy then your gonna have to custom order a Emblem by a company who does that could run you a few hundred bucks.
The Originals were designed for what they had Modern for what they have and no one makes an in between off shelf stock for such a thing. So choose lesser of the two being off.
Center the Original so its evenly framed around the emblem.

Here is one company who custom makes them....
I've found at least one place that will do it for around $175, I just need to get a one-time use authorization from FCA (waiting on the contact they directed me to to respond). Considering I'm probably going to have to have some custom fabbing done to get my bumpers, that's honestly chump change.

(Incidentally, that site you linked won't do less than 300. I don't need THAT many, unless any of y'all want to go in).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Quad Tips!
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille

A little more of an adventure than I'd anticipated (it didn't help the instructions gave the wrong socket size and the first bolt got stuck) but I did it all by myself. So this was a little lower on my list, but it was one that I could knock out pretty quickly and (comparatively) inexpensively.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
203 Posts
Quad Tips!
View attachment 1029888
A little more of an adventure than I'd anticipated (it didn't help the instructions gave the wrong socket size and the first bolt got stuck) but I did it all by myself. So this was a little lower on my list, but it was one that I could knock out pretty quickly and (comparatively) inexpensively.
Nice! Are those the tips sold by MOPAR ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So a quick update on my script badge: Having not had much luck with getting approval for a single-use from FCA (as in: No response whatsoever) I found another solution in just a basic 3D print. I'll need to paint it myself, but I figure a few coats of automotive gloss black for the background, then mask it off and spray it with Krylon's chrome, sanding as necessary with 2000 grit wet to polish. Ultimately should end up cheaper than having an actual badge made.

I was also thinking about some general trim:

So in addition to the tail surround and bumper, there is two additional sections of trim on the rear of the '71 challenger: The tail light bezels, and a surround around the black rear panel itself.

I THINK that even once I'm able to figure out a way to do the bumper, because of differences in how the rear is shaped I can probably do that second surround going all the way around the light panel. The question is what should I use? The shape is a little more complex than just a regular D-shaped flexible moulding, as it has that little step around the outside. I'm guessing I'll probably want something that's what, about half an inch?

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
203 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Font Jewellery Metal Fashion accessory Freezing

Fresh from the 3D printer. Next step: base coat of black. Debating whether to spray it with PlastiDip or use a standard automotive paint.

Once the base coat is done I’ll chrome the top surface. Right now I’m thinking the cheapest would be to use chrome film/vinyl.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Hm. I’m wondering now whether I should do the chrome FIRST, then mask the letters and apply the black.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Id get them Chromed first then pain the borders with Semi Gloss
That seems to make sense. It'd be much easier to mask off the letters to spray the rest black, than try to chrome the tops aftewards.

I'm looking for an option to have it actually chromed. Putting a few feelers out, but so far the only response I've gotten back was a place who declined because they don't do plastic.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,372 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·

Just sent email to both. I'd prefer to find somewhere local to me (St. Louis) so I don't have to worry about shipping, but I'll see what they have to say.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Automotive lighting Sleeve Wood Gadget Font
This is chrome paint pen by Molotow. I’ve used it on my 52 year old dash pieces. Looks as good as the repop parts. Not sure how it would work on something large.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·

A Guy
Has anyone actually used this? I've read that the paints leave a lot to be desired in terms of finish.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,372 Posts
I have painted for decades no Paint made has every given that Mirror look. Paint will never perfectly give a Chrome Effect the Nickle Material is needed and applied in a way to bring that. Some silvers do reflect decent but not to Chrome Pop especially on anything of size. There is home Kits for Plastic Chrome Plating but unless you got the coin its expensive.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts