Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those interested in retrofitting the newer 2015-2017 challenger tail lights on to their 2008-2014 challengers, I just had this project done today on my 2013 Challenger SXT. The tail lights were purchased used on eBaY for a steal, then put on directly. The wiring was always the concern as the harness would have been an issue, but this was solved by a plug-n-play harness developed by a local autoshop.

I utilized the stock bumper and the 2015-2017 tails went on directly. With the stock bumper the tails protude slightly (will try to show it in the pictures below) but it is not a big drawback by any means for those who don't want to purchase a whole new rear bumper, also without resistors (about $10) there will be a hyper flash with the turn signals/hazards, which I kept because I liked it better than the standard signal timing. The trunk still closes fine, the force needed to close is increased by a negligible margin. I will try to post a video when I get the chance and answer any questions I can in regards, especially since I was looking for information on this myself for the better part of a year.

Anyone who is interested in the harness or installation can go through Jim at True Street Performance, he developed a working plug-n-play harness designed specifically for retrofitting these tails. The following is a link to their facebook page. They are based out of West Babylon, NY.

https://www.facebook.com/truestreetjim/

For any who are not within driving distance, Jim stated the harnesses are $225 shipped to your door.

Pictures below (Ignore the mis-matched tail light on the right, I haven't tinted it yet)

·
Registered
19 Posts
m currently in the process of doing this. I bought a rear bumper but have to paint it. Do u have to take off bumper to install the lights? Also about how time do you think it took and beside the lights wiring everything just bolt on. Thanks for all info your install looks great

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
m currently in the process of doing this. I bought a rear bumper but have to paint it. Do u have to take off bumper to install the lights? Also about how time do you think it took and beside the lights wiring everything just bolt on. Thanks for all info your install looks great
Saw your PM, apologies didn't realize you had already posted here. The stock bumper doesn't need to be removed or modified to install these lights, but if you have the new bumper you should have it installed prior to putting on the new tails. This install takes about 40 minutes depending on your knowledge of the tails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My boy @tatedesign in ft lauderdale took care of me! Clean and simple. I bought the bumper but will be installing after full conversion
Too clean. How much did everything run you? I've always said I wanted the 2014 front with 2015 back, can't stand that big smiley face grill. If I could land me a 2014 Srt8 this is probably the first thing I'll do.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Too clean. How much did everything run you? I've always said I wanted the 2014 front with 2015 back, can't stand that big smiley face grill. If I could land me a 2014 Srt8 this is probably the first thing I'll do.
Yes I have a 2015 and that is the only thing on it's exterior I don't like. I think the upper grille, styled like the '71's with the 8-10 OR 11-14 bottom Either-Or would be awesome. I do not understand why the Non Hellcats have to be that big..... I am just glad they did not return to the sheep head on the nose of the cars after doing away with it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
ok, so which one of you guys want to sell your older (14 and earlier) taillights. I actually want to do the opposite and put those tail lights on my '16

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so which one of you guys want to sell your older (14 and earlier) taillights. I actually want to do the opposite and put those tail lights on my '16
I have never heard anyone get it done before so I am not sure if the dimensions would be correct if you are retrofitting older ones to a newer model, I would probably sell you my 2013 tails if you want to give it a shot.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm not sure if you still want to do the older style to the newer tails, but I'm in need of the newer style tails, so I'd be willing to do a trade or we can figure something out if you want to. Shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
876 Posts
breeze where'd you get that front head light cover. I love it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bumping this thread as I have been on hiatus from this website for almost a year and have had many private messages in regards to this post that were left unresponded to, if anyone has any questions in regards advise me, I will be checking here periodically again

1 - 20 of 38 Posts