Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I initially leased my 2018 Challenger T/A (5.7L) as a "toy car" with no intentions to purchase. But now that my 3 years is almost up, I am considering purchasing it and reselling it as the miles are very low (27,xxx), T/A's are not too common where I live, its in excellent condition and I just replaced 2 new tires on the rear. My purchase price is approximately 28.5k after state taxes and if I were to list it on CarGuru's at a price of $30k, it's considered a very good deal and there is no used T/A within 75 miles of me from the past month I been browsing Cargurus and Craigslist. Now the only thing stopping me is Covid placed many people out of work and the Challenger itself is a tough car to sell as the market of buyers are limited to a select buyer. I don't want to purchase the vehicle and be stuck with it for many months trying to sell it, especially being a T/A model as its not common here. What say you? Are T/A Challengers not high demanding?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
You're basically betting $28.5k against 1.5k. Unless you can find a buyer before you have to turn it in, I'd let it go. Is there a reason you can't advertise for 4 - 8 weeks before the lease is up and see what happens?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,707 Posts
I initially leased my 2018 Challenger T/A (5.7L) as a "toy car" with no intentions to purchase. But now that my 3 years is almost up, I am considering purchasing it and reselling it as the miles are very low (27,xxx), T/A's are not too common where I live, its in excellent condition and I just replaced 2 new tires on the rear. My purchase price is approximately 28.5k after state taxes and if I were to list it on CarGuru's at a price of $30k, it's considered a very good deal and there is no used T/A within 75 miles of me from the past month I been browsing Cargurus and Craigslist. Now the only thing stopping me is Covid placed many people out of work and the Challenger itself is a tough car to sell as the market of buyers are limited to a select buyer. I don't want to purchase the vehicle and be stuck with it for many months trying to sell it, especially being a T/A model as its not common here. What say you? Are T/A Challengers not high demanding?
Go for it, if you still have it in 6 months and are dying to unload I'll give you 25k for it. Call me in 6 months, ironically 6 months form now is 04/01

·
Registered
306 Posts
To much risk for little reward as others have said. Last lease I bought out was a diesel pick up with 20K difference from my residual to what it retailed. I bought it, drove it for 3 more years and still made money.

I would just turn it in and move on up to a Scat or something, or if you LOVE IT, buy it and keep it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well as others have said $1500 may not be worth the aggravation but... returning the lease could have surprises pop up like they charge you for tires and/or dents or dings. That could add up. Also right now they're giving great prices for our used cars. Carmax and Carvana BOTH just quoted me more than I paid for my car. I would try both of them first as due to Covid both provide easy quotes online. Also if you use it for a trade depending where you live you could save a couple hundred more with tax savings. Good luck and do more homework before you decide either way.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
It’s always wise to get it inspected a month before turn in and find out what they see as needing attention.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
Return it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts