Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum,
Can TPMS be reused? If so, what parts will need to be ordered? I have read through the forum and found that the OEM TPMS is made by Schrader and the frequency is 433 mhz, correct? I priced the TPMS set and they are not that expensive. Is it even worth trying to reuse? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hi forum,
Can TPMS be reused? If so, what parts will need to be ordered? I have read through the forum and found that the OEM TPMS is made by Schrader and the frequency is 433 mhz, correct? I priced the TPMS set and they are not that expensive. Is it even worth trying to reuse? Thanks for any input.

The TPMS sensor -- in each wheel/tire -- has a limited life. (To state the obvious.) I have not had to deal with this with my Hellcat (or JCW) yet nor with any previous cars (because they didn't have TMPS).

But I have talked to a number of SAs and techs about TPMS and the advice is if the sensors are 4 years old (different car makers may have different time limits) to replace them even if they are still working.

What often happens is the customer comes in to get new tires. Often new tires older than 4 years old. The SA recommends new TMPS sensors. Because the old sensors are working just fine the customer balks at the extra expense and declines. Then way before the new tires are worn out the customer is back because of TPMS problems/errors and now has to buy new sensors and then pay to have the tires removed, the sensors replaced, and the tires remounted and balanced. Had he gone with new sensors when he had new tires fitted the labor of replacing the sensor, and the balancing/mounting, would have been part of the cost of fitting new tires.

My thinking is with my cars is I'll just have new TMPS sensors installed whenever I replace the tires on either car. The way I'm going this will be in 4 years or so. I'm not going to sweat tossing TMPS sensors with maybe a few months even a year or more life left. The problem is the weakest one determines when the rest get replaced unless one decides to only replace them when they fail.

Now if you have a flat tire or a tire that for some reason needs to be replaced prematurely depending upon how close (or far away) from that 4 year (or whatever the automaker says) TPMS sensor lifespan you should be able to just reuse the TPMS sensor assuming there is no restriction on its reuse. I'm thinking if the sensor may be an install once item. I don't think this is the case but if it is then of course you'll have to toss the sensor and replace it even if the sensor being tossed is just one day in service.

I have no input regarding going the aftermarket route for TPMS sensors. When the time comes I'm just getting OE sensors.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I bought my 2013 R/T new...it came with 18's. Then I got some 20' rims...and finally I changed to the 20' SRT rims that are on it now. Through all that I still have the same TPMS sensors the car came with when new.....the car is now almost 6 years old and no problems yet. Knock on wood!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
The OEM sensors in my G8 lasted 10 years, $84 for 4 new sensors from Amazon and they worked just fine. My F150 is a 2010 and I havent has to replace them yet,

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yep, generally I have read in a number of different places that the sensors can last between 7 and 10 years.

Reads like there has been some improvement then in TPMS sensor life. That's good news. In this case I might just reuse the TPMS sensors when I have the tires on one of my cars replaced and drive on.

If the sensors start acting up before time to replace the tires then I'll just bite the bullet and have the sensors replaced anyhow. The extra cost of this between tire replacement I believe would be less than throwing away sensors with 3 or more years life left in them.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sometimes one of the sensors or two could be damaged when they are being transferred over to different tires...but not always. Again I went through three different wheels/tires and luckily my sensors never got damaged and they still work just fine. So yes, they have improved them quite a bit over the years.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The TPMS sensor -- in each wheel/tire -- has a limited life. (To state the obvious.) I have not had to deal with this with my Hellcat (or JCW) yet nor with any previous cars (because they didn't have TMPS).

My thinking is with my cars is I'll just have new TMPS sensors installed whenever I replace the tires on either car. The way I'm going this will be in 4 years or so. I'm not going to sweat tossing TMPS sensors with maybe a few months even a year or more life left. The problem is the weakest one determines when the rest get replaced unless one decides to only replace them when they fail.

Wow Rockster, you plan to get four years out of your Hellcat tires? I'm on my third set on a Scat Pack Shaker, 21000 miles in a year and a half. :lol: You do know that the skinny pedal goes more than half way to the floor right? (Just kidding)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

Wow Rockster, you plan to get four years out of your Hellcat tires? I'm on my third set on a Scat Pack Shaker, 21000 miles in a year and a half. :lol: You do know that the skinny pedal goes more than half way to the floor right? (Just kidding)

Oh I know how far down that skinny pedal goes. I just don't see the need to put it that far down to cause the rear tires to spin. (They have spun some, a couple of times, but not even enough to smoke.)

With my previous cars (Porsche Boxster, Porsche 996 Turbo) I drove a lot of miles and rear tire life even though I was "good" was around 20K miles. It wasn't uncommon for me to replace rear tires every year or less. This just reinforced my tendency to be easy on the gas. Oh I used the gas pedal a good amount just not enough to make the tires spin.

Can't be sure but I'm probably not going to run the Hellcat tires down to the wear bars either. Too much power to drive around on nearly "bald" tires. And as tires get closer to the wear bars they have a tendency to pick up a nail or something. So I'd rather replace the tires before they get real worn.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I work in auto repair. I’ve never replaced a sensor just because I was replacing a tire. They are reusable and last probably about 8 years. I do find that once a battery goes bad in one sensor the rest soon follow. They sell new rubber stems that the sensor screws onto or a seal kit for the screw in type. I did find while living on Long Island the steel ones did tend to corrode and break while trying to remove them. But they sell almost any price to repair them now.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts