Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey M6 guys, just wondered how many of you employ rev matching?? I do it but - does it really have any significant impact on the car??

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I did it when I had my M6 and for just about all my MT vehicles. Why not? It's murder on the clutch to downshift constantly without it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
if your not rev matching your not fast
Luke>:)

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
I'll blip the throttle on downshifts, especially at higher speeds - syncros don't have to work as hard with the engine rpms being higher.

It would have been nice have have "no lift shift" or rev matching like GM does on their manuals

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Not much impact on the car although the mention about upsetting the car balance brings up a significant downside to not rev matching. Not rev matching certainly does have, will have, an impact and a lot on clutch and transmission life.

My Hellcat is an 8-speed automatic (and in using the paddles or just the lever to manually shift gears, on a downshift it looks like the engine control does some rev matching -- cool) but with my previous cars all manuals I always rev matched. One car I drove 317K miles and it was on its original clutch and transmission although it was clear from the pedal pressure required at the end the clutch was worn out -- but not slipping.

About the only time I don't rev match and this is often is when I'm rolling up to a stop. I leave the transmission in gear until RPMs get low enough I can select a lower gear with no real need to rev match or I can just shift into neutral and use just the brakes to bring the car to a stop. But if I'm on the open road and feel a need to downshift for passing or climbing a grade or descending a grade or any other reason I always rev match.

(As an aside, my 2018 Mini JCW is a 6-speed manual and it has rev matching when I downshift. At first I didn't know this but I finally got wise when I didn't do any rev matching and just selected a lower gear. Engine RPMs were raised as I moved the shifter into the lower gear. Now that I know the feature is there I rely upon and I've never down shifted a manual transmission so fast.)

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I rev match all the time; I think it's really important especially when down shifting to accelerate i.e. when passing. Just hitting the lower gear puts a lot of stress on the drive train as the engine speed tries to slow the car. You get a a lot of upset as mentioned as well. For the remainder it's like Rockster mentioned removing the additional strain improves the life span of the clutch let alone the other components. When not on the track I just roll into the turns then rev-match into the gear I need entering or coming out of the turn so I don't have to heal-toe it. Kind of slacker mode.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As a racing driver I want to rev match all the time. However, I find rev matching in the challenger cumbersome (on regular public roads) because of the pedal position. Doing a proper heel-toe rev match at normal city speeds is almost impossible for me because the accelerator pedal is set further back than the brake pedal. Plus the pedal is so far to right, near the transmission area, that there isn't really any wiggle room for your heel. Anyone else have this problem or found a solution?

The only way to heel-toe properly is to slam the brakes and slow the car down from high speed very quickly which makes the brake pedal line up with the accelerator in a usable position. Perfect for racing situation but thats about it.

I've wondered if there would be a simple way to move the accelerator pedal up/forward just a little to make heel-to easier on the street...

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
the accelerator pedal is an electronic one.

You could make a spacer / bracket to move the pedal assembly forward and away from the tunnel

Its simply bolted to the firewall.

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
step two trying to use auto-blip, so far really not working well, keeps putting Bigred in limp mode
Luke

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
Throttle position issue Luke?

A Guy
works great 5 or 6 times and at the most inconvenient time it goes into limp mode with a throttle issue

luckily I can remove the button and insert the actual key and can reset by quickly turning the car off and back on, something interesting to do at 80 mphs>:)

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
ps and usually in traffic......lol

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
Did you make that or are those available to purchase?
made it, not something we would sell, simple piece of 1.5 inch square aluminum tubing, very light, spaced out and also drill holes offset to move pedal slightly outward

I assume your using a good pair of driving/racing shoes,if not do so, running shoes or snickers do not work well

Luke

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts

me new shoes, special thanks to Forgeline Wheels

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts