Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible or will I mess up my trani all bad? Done a few in manuals but never an auto.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Now here's a question you don't see everyday! I don't think that shifting out of Reverse and into Neutral or Drive while in motion is recommended (the manual specifies that you have to be stopped, but it's probably for safety, rather than mechanical reasons). Now will you break anything doing it? That's one of the reasons why don't like wide sticky tires - I like the patch of rubber to be the weak link during, um, maneuvers. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
.....the bigger question is why you would want to abuse your car like this in the first place? Even if it was mechanically safe if executed properly, there are so many ways it can go wrong it isn't worth it IMO.

-- sent from mobile phone --

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
.....the bigger question is why you would want to abuse your car like this in the first place? Even if it was mechanically safe if executed properly, there are so many ways it can go wrong it isn't worth it IMO.

It's his car, he paid for it and wants to enjoy it his way. After that we go buy somebody else's garage queen.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That really doesn't make any sense. How could properly executed mechanically safe maneuver have something go wrong haha. Oxymoron.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah, go ahead, do it every day. Just dont come back here whining about transmission noises later on.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Knight Rider did it all the time on video, and KIT didn't ever have any problems.... Can you share the vid when you do it? Watch out for stop signs, learned that the hard way in a 69 Nova.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I used to do them in a Pontiac t-1000 auto when I was younger and I remember that car didn't have a first gear and many other issues when we got rid of it.

I ragged the piss outta that car :)
must really be fun to do in a challenger.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
80 Posts
id doubt youd pull it off in our auto challengers, even if in neutral when you have high rpms and shift into gear, the car will go into limp mode or disengage drive and keep you in neutral. Go for it if you want, but be prepared to fork over some benjis down the road.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
id doubt youd pull it off in our auto challengers, even if in neutral when you have high rpms and shift into gear, the car will go into limp mode or disengage drive and keep you in neutral. Go for it if you want, but be prepared to fork over some benjis down the road.
Here's someone doing one in a Charger

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Swag: "The word quickly made its way to the states and has ever since become the catchphrase of douchbags and tools everywhere." Urban Dictionary: swag :icon_lol:

The J-turn is an emergency maneuver practiced by cops and bodyguards so it has utility besides movie stunt work and pure jackassery. Given the rims this guy has on his Charger I doubt he's concerned with how long his car will last without damage or that he's doing this as part of a security driver training program, though. I'd love to see those heavy chrome rims fold under the car and throw a spark show!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jim Rockford (James Garner)used it all the time in his Firebird/auto , at least once an episode lol. I really don't see how the op would damage anything IF properly executed

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
And I decided to stop worrying about excessive tie rod wear and to jump over bridges like the Dukes. They did this at least once per episode and the car always looked A-OK to me... :smoker:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm sure we'll see the OP's car in one of the "wrecked" pictures later!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I remember being along for the ride during one of these and the front tires gripped to well and made the front end hop violently! I recommend you try it in a rental car only!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,265 Posts
Are talking about how Rockford did it in his Firebird?? A buddy did it exactly two times in his Camaro and then had to get the front realigned......

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,385 Posts
Old thread, but... I used to do it in my 1975 Impala with column auto, and yeah, I loved Rockford files! Then in my 1980 Sunbird (RWD, like a Monza) I would do bootleggers as well with the hand brake.

Reactions: 72/340
1 - 20 of 21 Posts