Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides just adding LED's to the existing bulb placement (been there/done that), has anyone done any DIY upgrades to improve the terrible reverse light output? I can't see sh*t whilst backing at night.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
I just stay home after dark...………...

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack Widebody M6
2 Posts
Besides just adding LED's to the existing bulb placement (been there/done that), has anyone done any DIY upgrades to improve the terrible reverse light output? I can't see sh*t whilst backing at night.
I have a 2019 Scat Pack and had the same problem. I added a VLED licence plate frame light to it. A little pricey but very bright. Because the 2015+ use LEDs, I added a relay triggered by the (white/green striped wire) stock wiring to feed 12 volt to the VLED. I believe it pulls 1.8 amp. I tapped into the stock wiring by the trunk hinge.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Any additional info/pics of this would help OP or anyone else considering similar ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack Widebody M6
2 Posts
Sorry I didn't take any pictures. I wasn't sure if the 2 amp draw of the license plate light would upset any light monitoring circuit. I bought a small 12 volt relay that is triggered by the stock circuit. Each LED reverse light is powered by it's own wire. If memory serves me correctly, it's a white/green and white/orange wire. It tapped in to one of them by the trunk hinge and ran the wire down to the battery compartment. I hooked up a inline fuse to the positive battery terminal bolt to the relay to feed the license plate LED reverse light. The wire from the license plate light was run thru the small gap by the stock plate light. The right tail light was removed and the wire feed thru the grommet. You can access the area behind the bumper cover by removing the four plastic push pins along the top lip of the cover.
One problem is the two stock screws won't fit into the recessed holes of the VLED light. I ended up reaching behind the plate screw holes and used two small allen head stainless steel nut and bolts to hold it all together. The hardware was bought at ACE hardware and was 10/24 x 1". Another issue is that the only plate frame I could find is a silicone rubber surround at Advance auto. All the plastic frames won't fit the machined contour of the VLED. VLED does sell a aluminum frame for $35.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
That's the OP :D

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts

This might not look to bad

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
Lol I know the feeling I’ll be 75 next month
I spoke too soon, new job starts at 4:30pm to 3:00 am 5 to 6 days a week...…………………..

At 52, this sucks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts