Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day all! New to the forums here and this site is amazing!

So I purchase a used 2015 Challenger R/T Plus 6spd. I was driving home after the purchase and I when from 4th to 5th just to grind reverse and the backup camera came on in the screen. I figure that since I haven't been driving manual for a while it was probably my mistake. Well, i decided to look it up and this car does have a safety feature to avoid doing that. The car does have a skip shift install and is in the right spot. I actually took it off and when for a test drive and I'm still able to go in reverse after 4th gear moving. So I installed it again because I hate the 1st to 4th thing...

So my question is... Is the reverse solenoid bad? or my transmission is bad? I still have a 30 day dealer warranty on the car so I will like to solve it before that runs out.. The vehicle has 39k miles

Now I'm always scare of pushing to far to the right.... Thank for all the help you guys and gals can bring to the table! >:)

· Super Moderator
18,737 Posts
You might have a bad reverse solenoid.

When Ignition Off / Engine Off, you can ready shift to Reverse

Ignition ON / Engine ON, not moving can shift into Reverse

If you're moving, Reverse solenoid would energize to prevent shifting into that gate

either the solenoid is bad, or when someone put the skip shift dongle, they might have damaged the connector (bent pins) or damaged the harness.

Since the two solenoids look the same and the Reverse inhibitor solenoid is at the rear of the transmission, near the shift mechanism, many mistake that for the Skip-Shift solenoid

[instead, its the one on the side of the case, above the cross member on drivers' side]

Reactions: JuniorRT

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you're moving, Reverse solenoid would energize to prevent shifting into that gate

either the solenoid is bad, or when someone put the skip shift dongle, they might have damaged the connector (bent pins) or damaged the harness.

Since the two solenoids look the same and the Reverse inhibitor solenoid is at the rear of the transmission, near the shift mechanism, many mistake that for the Skip-Shift solenoid

[instead, its the one on the side of the case, above the cross member on drivers' side]

Thank you so much for clearing this up! Check the pins and everything seem to be fine so I guess I need a new solenoid. Is a used car so I have no idea of the use and abuse he is been thru. But I will get it all fix and ready to go! Thank you again for the help!

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,782 Posts
Reactions: JuniorRT

· Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
4,202 Posts

Old thread, new problem. I cannot shift into reverse; ignition/engine on or off. You mention above that it will readily go into reverse with the ignition off, but that is not happening. It was fine one day, and the next day reverse was locked out. I know the lockout solenoid is easy to remove, but I do not know if it can be done with the transmission fully installed. I also don't know if there is any external wiring for the lockout solenoid. If so, the problem may be that the packrats around here around here ate some of my wiring again. The last time it was the wiring for the fuel level on the passenger side tank. Anyhow, all help will be greatly appreciated because I am no longer able to crawl under my Shaker to check things out for myself, and I cannot move the car without reverse.

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,782 Posts
The solenoid just increases the spring tension, it shouldn't actually prevent going into reverse, just make it harder
Rectangle Font Circle Slope Writing

There is wiring which some have mistaken for the skip shift when installing an eliminator. I'm not sure about a mechanical problem that would actually prevent going into reverse

A Guy

· Registered
4,202 Posts
The solenoid just increases the spring tension, it shouldn't actually prevent going into reverse, just make it harder
View attachment 1073630
There is wiring which some have mistaken for the skip shift when installing an eliminator. I'm not sure about a mechanical problem that would actually prevent going into reverse

A Guy
That's what I thought too, but using both hands with my back against the door, I couldn't get it into reverse. It only goes into fifth gear every time now. and it was fine the day before.

· Registered
384 Posts
Can u put it in 1st gear? Just wondering if ur 1st and reverse synchro went out in ur trans?

That's what I thought too, but using both hands with my back against the door, I couldn't get it into reverse. It only goes into fifth gear every time now. and it was fine the day before.

· Registered
4,202 Posts
Can u put it in 1st gear? Just wondering if ur 1st and reverse synchro went out in ur trans?
It has nothing to do with syncros. The first gear and reverse syncros are located at opposite ends of the transmission . All of the syncros were replaced with performance hybrid syncros before I built the engine to prevent the known problems which happen with the TR6060; especially the first to second gear shift. Also, the only time reverse is ever engaged is when the vehicle is stopped and idling. Mt comment about going into fifth gear is what happens when I attempt to put it into reverse. I also have a Barton short shifter on it.

Reactions: GNBRETT

· Registered
942 Posts
I have a 2009 5.7 M6. Recently, I have had a really hard time putting it into reverse after a cold start. I might have the lack of lube TSB

· Registered
4,202 Posts
I'm still looking for help.

· Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
3,196 Posts
I'm still looking for help.
Have you had a chance to get under it and check the wiring? I'm not sure if that would keep it from going in gear with the engine and power off. I've never worked on one of those transmissions, my experience has been with Harleys and Muncies. Almost sounds like a shift fork or broken linkage in the trans.

· Registered
4,202 Posts
Have you had a chance to get under it and check the wiring? I'm not sure if that would keep it from going in gear with the engine and power off. I've never worked on one of those transmissions, my experience has been with Harleys and Muncies. Almost sounds like a shift fork or broken linkage in the trans.
Nope, I don't crawl under cars anymore. The shift fork and linkage is all internal.

Reactions: mopardude9
1 - 14 of 14 Posts