Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to give my review and comparison on my recently returned 2016 Camaro 2SS and my new 2019 Challenger Scat Pack 392 Shaker.

Before i get into this i just wanted all to know i am a novice reviewer first and foremost, i had the Camaro 3 1/2 years and only have had the Challenger for a little over a month. Both cars have been driven by me from South Florida to New York 20+ hours. Challenger has about 1700 miles on it now while the Camaro seen a total of 17,000. I have love for both cars and can only give as much as i know and feel in the time being i had the Challenger for a short time.

Comparing the 2 cars has been on my mind and many have asked for a comparison/review. The time has come and i will do my best to give what i feel is my opinion of the cars for the time i have had them. I have leased both cars and had the Camaro since December 24th 2015. It was turned in on the 23rd of last month March for the 39 month lease.

The Camaro was as much as i can say was pretty loaded up as a 2SS and had most all bells and whistles available. Some features i will miss and then some i will not whatsoever. Most mods i had were either bolt on's or minor adds on's per say including - Ported TB, CAI CAI, Deleted 2nd Cat's. Everything else besides the intake was cosmetic like wheels, tints ect. The LT1 V8 was a Auto A8 and did have a lot of power/torque to it but not as much as the 392 here. I did manage to run it at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ before they closed and before the mods ran the 1/4 at 12.40 @ 116 best stock. We all know the weight of the car is far less then the Challenger but the Challenger feels more solid on a straight away, which it should. Never tracked the car or will so don't have much to say about that. I know the Camaro is a beast on the track and can do pull some corners off that a Challenger wont. Being i don't race or have a drag strip less then 3 hours from me, i don't think i will see a run on this one and one reason i didn't go with a 1320 which i would have if a strip was in reach. The roads in NYC beat a car no matter what it is. The Camaro i busted 2 tires on pot holes. Even on comfort mode it was still a rough ride comparing to the Challenger. Street mode vs. Comfort mode on the Camaro is definitely not near the same. I feel like i am in more of a luxury muscle car now over these rugged potholed streets. The sounds of the exhaust on the Camaro was quite nice. Having the dual mode NPP exhaust upgrade it definitely made some nice pops and gurgles under deceleration and sounds good. More raspy compared to the Challenger and the Challenger sounds much deeper to me like a big V8 should and straight up sounds better.

Comparing the price and trim levels they both are pretty close but the Challenger has more options all around. Sticker on the Camaro 2SS was $48,275 and the Challenger Scat Pack Shaker was $54,650. I would say if you knock off the Shaker package and Harmon Kardon it would be closer in price. Camaro had the Bose sound system which was good but no comparison on that vs. HK. Still if that is the case i feel dollar for dollar you are getting a better car in the end with the Challenger. I could have went back to Chevy but i have many reasons not to which i will get into later in this thread...

For the question about roominess in the Camaro, i have to say its not good at all. As for blind spots and bad rear vision, not so much for me as others. My daughter who just turned 8 can no longer squash in the back seats. A person who is taller then 4ft will have issues even with the seats all the way up. A real honest waste of space. Not the case for the Challenger. My daughter and wife both are happy and fit with ease. I had my wife *****in all the time about how tight and squeezed in the Camaro she was. I like the way they made the back usable in the Challenger and quite comfy as my daughter says :)

To compare the 2 cars is still hard as one feels like a straight sports car and one feels like pure old school muscle car. It amazes me how the body still attracts the heck out of me and no wonder it still sells on top of the cars in this segment without any major design changes. Camaro will have to go gen 7 soon as the refresh didn't do it for many including me.

Few issues with the Camaro during the time i had it. First thing to start up was the rear differential. Under cold weather or cold starts it would sounds like a howl on turns till it warmed up. Diff had to be replaced after 2 separate flushes to remove the noise. Next i started to get the dreaded dead battery with no indication of where a power leak was coming. Was stuck 2 times with roadside to jump me. They replaced the battery and all was better. Following that i had a situation where the cooling fan went out of nowhere and overheated the car stuck in traffic twice till they finally found what it was. Last but not least was a big issue that remained even after turn in was a A8 shudder from the automatic transmission 8 speed. This was a PIA and had to bring back 2 times and no fix till now from what i hear is a band aid. Many with GM's A8 transmissions have this problem and it sucks. Like riding over rumble strips at about 50mph. Other then all those things the center console button broke from very light use and was the worst design to get into i seen. Challenger has a great center console without doubt and driver friendly.

The Camaro's metal/body of the car is extremely easy to ding or dent with even the press of your finger in the rear quarter panels. I had a Camaro SS rental once that had about 20 little pressed in finger marks on both sides. Challenger on the other hand feels solid and the weight makes up for other things it seems here on the exterior. One good thing was the Camaro was white so it was hard to see scratches and dings if any were there. Destroyer Gray seems to be a lot easier to scratch it and notice as any darker colors out there. Can't compare the 2 just yet on paint quality. I had no issues in the Camaro.

I am attaching the stickers of both cars for everyone who wants to see it and this way you decide like me why the Challenger is a way better bang for your buck! This is not a SS 1LE so i can't comment of that vs. this. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I could go on for days but rather you all can ask me what you like to and i will do my best to be of help.

Pound for pound the Challenger wins many places in my mind. Between the acceleration and the torque, I feel on a straight rolling start the Challenger would be ahead a very small amount if any. The Camaro with it's weight will more or less be right next to it as a drivers race 100%. Many video's i watched can claim that on YouTube i assume. The Challenger pulls much harder on acceleration and the RPM's are definitely in its favor due to the design of Dodge's transmission.

Both cars have drive modes that can be compared. The Camaro had eco/snow ice/ Basic touring mode which would be compared to street mode on the Challenger. Also there is Sport and Track and custom modes that activate the NPP exhaust on the Camaro. At this time i been driving in sport/custom mode on the transmission part of the Challenger. The track mode also i do use here in there when i want some faster shifting on the A8. When comparing the track/sport modes i find that the Challenger has much more on the tap. I needed a ported throttle body to give me more of a wake up on the Camaro it seemed. Still even with that the Challenger hands down has it on point.

Also one last thing, if i repeated myself or said something that doesn't fully make sense.... I am sorry, been a long week!!! ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Thanks for the write-up.

Looking at the window stickers, I'm surprised the Camaro has a big edge in gas mileage. I guess it's all about the weight?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the write-up.

Looking at the window stickers, I'm surprised the Camaro has a big edge in gas mileage. I guess it's all about the weight?

Thank you! Yea i feel between the two the Camaro being lighter and smaller engine 6.2L compared to the 6.4L, definitely makes some difference. Driven both from Florida to NY and seen maybe another tank more on the Challenger. The higher RPM's the Challenger runs naturally i also think can be a cause added on. Either way ill take the ride in the Challenger again and be much more smooth ride and more relaxed then in the Camaro on a long trip in the future.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Great review - thanks for taking your time to share that with us! Congrats on the new ride and welcome from MI!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I like to try different cars. 6 Months ago I decided to give a Camaro SS a try. So an 18 SS is what I am in right now. The OP has a good review. Both are good looking cars that flat out fly. The OP hit the nail on the head in saying the Camaro is more of a pure sports car and the challenger is a muscle car. I agree, that professional drivers and magazine numbers aside, in the real world it is a drivers race between the two as long as that race was in a straight line. Bring curves into the picture and the Camaro wins for sure. I have enjoyed the Camaro. It is a really fun car to drive but I do have concerns about its reliability. Mine is an 18 automatic and I have a couple of the same problems the OP had. I just got the car out of the shop yesterday for the torque converter shudder. The car only has 3600 miles on it. The supposed fix is just some new fluid GM has come up with. Flushes with the older fluid they were using was not permanently fixing the problem for some. Some had the shudder come back after a few thousand miles. That is what I don't want to have to deal with. I have never been much of a believer in miracle in a bottle. I have some light rear end noise too on the first couple of cold turns but I am not too worried about that unless it gets worse. From reading about that, I think that is probably just the nature of the beast. A couple of turns and the noise is gone. I had no problems with my Scat Challenger at all. Don't know what the future holds for me. Needless to say, I still love the challengers but I really have loved the Camaro too. The transmission torque converter issue has just got me concerned and thinking. Right now, mine is working fine again. But for how long? Do I wait and see if this fluid fix holds or the shudder returns? Or, do I just start looking to get out now? I think you all know what I would go back to if I got out. :grin2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like to try different cars. 6 Months ago I decided to give a Camaro SS a try. So an 18 SS is what I am in right now. The OP has a good review. Both are good looking cars that flat out fly. The OP hit the nail on the head in saying the Camaro is more of a pure sports car and the challenger is a muscle car. I agree, that professional drivers and magazine numbers aside, in the real world it is a drivers race between the two as long as that race was in a straight line. Bring curves into the picture and the Camaro wins for sure. I have enjoyed the Camaro. It is a really fun car to drive but I do have concerns about its reliability. Mine is an 18 automatic and I have a couple of the same problems the OP had. I just got the car out of the shop yesterday for the torque converter shudder. The car only has 3600 miles on it. The supposed fix is just some new fluid GM has come up with. Flushes with the older fluid they were using was not permanently fixing the problem for some. Some had the shudder come back after a few thousand miles. That is what I don't want to have to deal with. I have never been much of a believer in miracle in a bottle. I have some light rear end noise too on the first couple of cold turns but I am not too worried about that unless it gets worse. From reading about that, I think that is probably just the nature of the beast. A couple of turns and the noise is gone. I had no problems with my Scat Challenger at all. Don't know what the future holds for me. Needless to say, I still love the challengers but I really have loved the Camaro too. The transmission torque converter issue has just got me concerned and thinking. Right now, mine is working fine again. But for how long? Do I wait and see if this fluid fix holds or the shudder returns? Or, do I just start looking to get out now? I think you all know what I would go back to if I got out. :grin2:

Thank you for your input and comparison as well! I hate to say but as you already said and know the A8 shudder is something that GM has put a band aid on and not a true permanent fix if there is really any. It got nasty on the one i had and even with the 2 flushes before the miracle fix they have now. Personally i would not hold onto the A8 Camaro's for very long . They went to the A10 on the 19's now, so we know that the A8 is a done deal. There is a class action lawsuit going on for this shudder i know about so it is just a matter of time. The rear diff went in 2 times and still had noise on cold days as the fluid/friction would cause a humming type noise. Not the worst thing in the world and they can change out the rear diff if need be under warranty like some i know have had done.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thank you for your input and comparison as well! I hate to say but as you already said and know the A8 shudder is something that GM has put a band aid on and not a true permanent fix if there is really any. It got nasty on the one i had and even with the 2 flushes before the miracle fix they have now. Personally i would not hold onto the A8 Camaro's for very long . They went to the A10 on the 19's now, so we know that the A8 is a done deal. There is a class action lawsuit going on for this shudder i know about so it is just a matter of time. The rear diff went in 2 times and still had noise on cold days as the fluid/friction would cause a humming type noise. Not the worst thing in the world and they can change out the rear diff if need be under warranty like some i know have had done.
The band aid thing is what concerns me too. I would have felt a lot more confident if GM had issued a recall like Dodge did with the earlier challengers that were popping timing chains and the fix was some type of redesigned part. But with the shudder affecting GM products that use the A8 across the board we all know that would cost GM a ton of money. So they may well be going with the band aid approach until the cars are out of warranty. Sucks because other than the shudder issue the Camaro has been a great car. Some guys have just gone with a circle d aftermarket torque converter and had good results but that kills your warranty and nobody should have to pay over 40K for a car and do that. We will see how it goes. At the end of the day its just a car. I can either keep it and hope this new fluid somehow does the trick or GM eventually does come up with a fix or I can get rid of it and get another challenger someday. I will decide in time. At least for now the new fluid has stopped the shudder.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update on the second month of this beauty! The things i am really liking over the Camaro are starting to come into effect more. The steering wheel is exellent on the Challenger and comparing something like this is minor it makes a hudge difference driving long distances. Much better grip and also has that nice little hole where i can put my fingers in on the bottom part. The ease of getting out of the car with the door handle being in a great position right where i reach my hand. Love that! The center console was built right on this car unlike the Camaro which maybe is worst feature for the interior. Comparing the drive modes from the Camaro and Challenger is like day and night with night being better. You can really feel the difference on the shifting and also the sound management from the exhaust. Really feels like a true muscle car comparing to a sporty sports car if that's what you want to call the Camaro. I been driving in the worst of rains from starting my drive home from Florida and being here in NYC past 2 months and have to say these P Zeros have been nothing short of excellent and haven't even budged on wet grimy roads. I will continue to add more to this thread as i find this i like or admire more then the previous Camaro i have had. They made this Challenger right from the start and it shows as sales have gone on with same/similar looks for so long without changing much at all. Very happy everyday to get into this car and couldn't say much bad things about it just yet or if ever lol.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,654 Posts
But you like it, right?

A Guy >:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts