Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rearview Mirror Broke Off (Windshield Has to be Replaced)

Yesterday the rearview mirror in my 2013 Challenger SXT Plus broke off. I bought the car on Saturday, 7/5, and it is still under warranty. What follows is a story about the events that happened after the problem occurred.

The dealer I bought it from, Auto America in north Texas, explained over the phone that I should take it to a Dodge dealership to get it repaired. Well, upon visiting a dealership in Richardson, TX today I learned that the metal bracket that attaches to the windshield took a piece of it with it when it fell off (read: broke). As a direct consequence, the entire front windshield has to be replaced.

Well, after this I called Auto America and they told me that there are two ways that this could have happened:

1) The mirror/window broke due to a manufacturer's defect, in which case the repairs may be claimed under warranty.
2) I broke everything and it I will be out of pocket to fix a car that I bought three days ago that is still under Dodge and Auto America's warranty.

The dealer in Richardson took pictures of the windshield, the mirror, and just about every part of the car to verify its current integrity. They are going to file a warranty claim with Chrysler, but hearing back from them, and whether they approve or deny it, is going to take up to three days, which would end up being this Friday, 7/11. The problem with this is that my 7-day, 250-mile, "no-hassle" refund eligibility with Auto America ends this Saturday, 7/12, and I only have 96 miles left before they will not allow me to return the vehicle and walk away. I am leaning toward this option because the whole experience with the car and dealers has been very sour.

Auto America has stated many, many times that there are NO exceptions to this return policy, even if putting mileage on the car occurs as a direct result of trying to get an issue resolved that they should be covering 100%. I feel like this is not right and they need to take care of the problem with much more compassion than they are currently.

So, what I'm going to do is wait to see if Chrysler responds to the claim. If they get back to me by the end of Thursday, and approve the work to be completed and paid for in full, then I will keep the car. If they do not respond, and I don't get a positive update upon request on Friday morning, then come Saturday I will be at Auto America to hand them the keys, relinquishing ownership of the vehicle to them. If it comes down to returning the car I will wait a bit and maybe get an R/T. I definitely want to stay with a Challenger.

Attached are pictures of the metal brack, the oval-shaped windshield bit attached to the bracket, and the hole in the glass that was opened when the whole assembly detached. As a quick note, the mirror broke off while I was driving down the road yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Make sure the warranty is through Dodge, not Auto America.

I just went through a NIGHTMARE with my transmission. 3rd party warranty companies will do whatever it takes to prove you are at fault and not pay. I had a platinum warranty and the Dodge Star Case number in hand about the faulty grease in the 2009-2010 Tremecs, and my warranty company said that the throwout bearing was the cause and they do not cover clutches. Clutch and complete transmission rebuild, $5200.00 bucks.
Yesterday the rearview mirror in my 2013 Challenger SXT Plus broke off. I bought the car on Saturday, 7/5, and it is still under warranty. What follows is a story about the events that happened after the problem occurred.

The dealer I bought it from, Auto America in north Texas, explained over the phone that I should take it to a Dodge dealership to get it repaired. Well, upon visiting a dealership in Richardson, TX today I learned that the metal bracket that attaches to the windshield took a piece of it with it when it fell off (read: broke). As a direct consequence, the entire front windshield has to be replaced.

Well, after this I called Auto America and they told me that there are two ways that this could have happened:

1) The mirror/window broke due to a manufacturer's defect, in which case the repairs may be claimed under warranty.
2) I broke everything and it I will be out of pocket to fix a car that I bought three days ago that is still under Dodge and Auto America's warranty.

The dealer in Richardson took pictures of the windshield, the mirror, and just about every part of the car to verify its current integrity. They are going to file a warranty claim with Chrysler, but hearing back from them, and whether they approve or deny it, is going to take up to three days, which would end up being this Friday, 7/11. The problem with this is that my 7-day, 250-mile, "no-hassle" refund eligibility with Auto America ends this Saturday, 7/12, and I only have 96 miles left before they will not allow me to return the vehicle and walk away. I am leaning toward this option because the whole experience with the car and dealers has been very sour.

Auto America has stated many, many times that there are NO exceptions to this return policy, even if putting mileage on the car occurs as a direct result of trying to get an issue resolved that they should be covering 100%. I feel like this is not right and they need to take care of the problem with much more compassion than they are currently.

So, what I'm going to do is wait to see if Chrysler responds to the claim. If they get back to me by the end of Thursday, and approve the work to be completed and paid for in full, then I will keep the car. If they do not respond, and I don't get a positive update upon request on Friday morning, then come Saturday I will be at Auto America to hand them the keys, relinquishing ownership of the vehicle to them. If it comes down to returning the car I will wait a bit and maybe get an R/T. I definitely want to stay with a Challenger.

Attached are pictures of the metal brack, the oval-shaped windshield bit attached to the bracket, and the hole in the glass that was opened when the whole assembly detached. As a quick note, the mirror broke off while I was driving down the road yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts

How many miles are on the vehicle?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles are on the vehicle?
The vehicle has a little over 9,400 miles.

As a quick update, the Dodge dealership in Richardson called me back yesterday and explained that Chrysler denied my warranty claim because the windshield has to be replaced.

Needless to say, it is very upsetting to buy a car, two days later the rearview mirror falls off and takes a chunk of the windshield with it, and now the manufacturer has decided against helping.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,554 Posts
Sounds and looks like a defective windshield. I would push it with Chrysler and maybe try another dealer.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Return it and buy a RT somewhere else if you can. Previous owner probably broke it and did a quick cheapie repair upon trade in. You're stuck holding the bag.

Reactions: RT6SPD

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
"The problem with this is that my 7-day, 250-mile, "no-hassle" refund eligibility with Auto America ends this Saturday, 7/12"

Hat to say this, but there are many nice Challengers out there. In my case, I would be giving this one back to the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts