Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New review of the new models by Kirk Bell (msn.com)

2015 Dodge Challenger: First drive review - MSN Autos

A few comments:
Bell has never been a big fan of the Challenger, he prefers the smaller, more nimble pony cars, but he provides a very favorable review. He was at the same testing site in Oregon event that Flattop went to. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times he reports are probably more a reflection of the driver (Bell) than the capabilities of the vehicles. In the review are the first posted mpg estimates that I have seen. Not surprising but the much-anticipated ZF A8 does not significantly improve mpg over the old Mercedes A5. Also of note is that according to what Bell reports, there is virtually no difference in mpg between the 5.7L and the 6.4. Hmmm ... why not go with 110 more horsepower?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
In regards to mpg with the A8 compared to the outgoing A5, I can guarantee you that the Hellcat would get even worse gas mileage if it had the current A5, due to the gearing making the car run at a higher RPM at highway speeds.

The A8 will likely be at ~1700 RPM @ 70mph, much less than the current A5 would be at... however, you just simply cannot get around the fact that the car's injectors move a lot of fuel... Either way, who else can say that they have 700+ hp from the factory and can get 20+ mpg on the highway?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sort of shocked to see that the mpg estimate for the Challenger Hellcat is at 20 mpg on the highway. I have a 2008 300C SRT-8 with a 7.0 mated to a Magnuson TVS2300 running 11 psi of boost. Even with the older transmission and shorter gearing, I still manage between 17-18 on the highway if I drive it nice and keep my foot out of it. My dyno was 621 hp and 661 tq. I wouldn't be surprised to see that Chrysler is playing their hand close to their chest and that the real-word vehicles do better with the superior gearing compared to the older LX/LC vehicles.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You'll likely see two different MPGs on the Hellcat for auto and manual. The added gas guzzler tax for the manual over the auto indicates this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mpg

Thanks for the comments. My main point was that one of the main reasons Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram has gone to 8 and 9 gear automatics is the boost in mpg, in part for the CAFE standards. I just thought there would be more difference in the estimated mpgs between the old A5 and the new A8 in these engines. The difference between the A8 and manual official mpg shows up importantly in the 392 engine, wherein the manual is subject to the guzzler tax and the auto is not. But let's face it, those who are into muscle cars of any type really don't give a crap about mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts