Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been racing my other rides and I've given the Challenger to the girls to drive to school. I do drive the Challenger once in a while and do the normal maintenance. I thought I'd wait a good long time to get a feeling of the car with supercharger.

Street behavior daily driving. The car is perfectly behaved. Power comes on linearly and the engine pulls cleanly to redline. The exhaust is actually slightly louder under boost, I have a stock 2012 R/T auto exhaust. The engine / supercharger performance is equivalent to an OEM setup. Good enough to let teen age daughters drive it... um not the sons... you gotta be crazy to do that. I should add that other than checking the fluids I've done nothing to the car since summer.

Overall handling. The supercharger is only 28 lbs, and this is easily offset by getting a lighter battery. I've had my sister in law's SRT8 to play with this past summer, so I can say that given the about the same tire and suspension, the SC 3.5 is a much more toss-able and liner ride and even forgiving for the most part. I will also say at my boost level, the SRT8 is faster through the twistiest but a real handful, one has to brake earlier with the SRT8 so as not to overwhelm the tire and be very careful of power oversteer out of the corner. I would speculate a higher boost 3.5 5 speed, stall with gears and a posi would be a dream package able to carry the speed into the corner, and have more power out of the turn. The 3.5 low boost 4 speed auto just does not have enough oats out of the hole. To sum it up the SC 3.5 is more of a scalpel and the SRT8 is more of a sledge hammer.

MPG, it has been about the same, I drove the car for a while with the larger injectors and program but no belt on the supercharger, and actually got slightly better MPG... dunno funny though and yes you can indeed drive with the supercharger on the car and hooked up just with no belt to it.

People, many people are interested in looking at the shinny supercharger, and yes literally the very next question is why did you not just buy a hemi??:scratchhead: I tell them the same thing, anybody can buy a stock anything or do something 10,000 other guys have already done. I want to do something different.

Kit: Vendor support is 110%, kit is easy to put on. For me the vacuum block was way too complicated and I just built a T so it is PCV vac from manifold to T to (gauge in the car, and BOV). I built my own bracket to the P/S reservoir, and some small L brackets to the kit's overflow tank. I'm building my own intake to the supercharger. Note there is nothing wrong with just doing what the kits says. I just like to tweak stuff.

I may look into putting on an intercooler under a shaker hood. Other projects depending. Corky Bell is local to me and he built an intercooler for my S40 M6 Volvo a while back.

I can't recommend the supercharger kit enough, it puts the very last thing that was needed on a SE: more power without sacrificing weight and agility.

·
Registered
2009 V6 Challenger
465 Posts
I've been racing my other rides and I've given the Challenger to the girls to drive to school. I do drive the Challenger once in a while and do the normal maintenance. I thought I'd wait a good long time to get a feeling of the car with supercharger.

Street behavior daily driving. The car is perfectly behaved. Power comes on linearly and the engine pulls cleanly to redline. The exhaust is actually slightly louder under boost, I have a stock 2012 R/T auto exhaust. The engine / supercharger performance is equivalent to an OEM setup. Good enough to let teen age daughters drive it... um not the sons... you gotta be crazy to do that. I should add that other than checking the fluids I've done nothing to the car since summer.

Overall handling. The supercharger is only 28 lbs, and this is easily offset by getting a lighter battery. I've had my sister in law's SRT8 to play with this past summer, so I can say that given the about the same tire and suspension, the SC 3.5 is a much more toss-able and liner ride and even forgiving for the most part. I will also say at my boost level, the SRT8 is faster through the twistiest but a real handful, one has to brake earlier with the SRT8 so as not to overwhelm the tire and be very careful of power oversteer out of the corner. I would speculate a higher boost 3.5 5 speed, stall with gears and a posi would be a dream package able to carry the speed into the corner, and have more power out of the turn. The 3.5 low boost 4 speed auto just does not have enough oats out of the hole. To sum it up the SC 3.5 is more of a scalpel and the SRT8 is more of a sledge hammer.

MPG, it has been about the same, I drove the car for a while with the larger injectors and program but no belt on the supercharger, and actually got slightly better MPG... dunno funny though and yes you can indeed drive with the supercharger on the car and hooked up just with no belt to it.

People, many people are interested in looking at the shinny supercharger, and yes literally the very next question is why did you not just buy a hemi??:scratchhead: I tell them the same thing, anybody can buy a stock anything or do something 10,000 other guys have already done. I want to do something different.

Kit: Vendor support is 110%, kit is easy to put on. For me the vacuum block was way too complicated and I just built a T so it is PCV vac from manifold to T to (gauge in the car, and BOV). I built my own bracket to the P/S reservoir, and some small L brackets to the kit's overflow tank. I'm building my own intake to the supercharger. Note there is nothing wrong with just doing what the kits says. I just like to tweak stuff.

I may look into putting on an intercooler under a shaker hood. Other projects depending. Corky Bell is local to me and he built an intercooler for my S40 M6 Volvo a while back.

I can't recommend the supercharger kit enough, it puts the very last thing that was needed on a SE: more power without sacrificing weight and agility.
Say it isnt so....you really went ahead and put a charger on your 4spd car. Do tell how the transmision is shifting/acting. And way to go:thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
331 Posts
So you bolted on 6 psi 60-80 HP? How many SC miles have you put on it? An official 1/4 time would be great, how fast does your G-Tech timer say it is? Your 5 year LifeTime powertrain warranty inspection is coming up, are you going to put it back to stock to pass? You can swap in a 3:90 without a tuner and blues143 has/had a 4 speed converter. 340 VS SC 3.5? Only going to let your girls drive it? Dumbass's like 370(and me) are lining up to date your girls just for a chance to drive the oldman's supercharged Challenger! You could end up with son in law 370 moving in and telling you how much HP a SC 3.5 really has!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
So you bolted on 6 psi 60-80 HP? How many SC miles have you put on it? An official 1/4 time would be great, how fast does your G-Tech timer say it is? Your 5 year LifeTime powertrain warrenty is coming up, are you going to put it back to stock to pass? You can swap in a 3:90 without a tuner and blues143 has/had a 4 speed converter. 340 VS SC 3.5? Only going to let your girls drive it? Dumbass's like 370(and me) are lining up to date your girls just for a chance to drive the oldman's supercharged Challenger! You could end up with son in law 370 moving in and telling you how much HP a SC 3.5 really has!
Starfleet Acadamy would frown on this lack of integrity :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Cars with a lifetime warranty have to be taken in to the dealer for inspection every 5 years. Just had mine in and they flashed the pcm for emmissions update. Dealer said they do warranty inspection everytime car is taken to a dealership not just every 5 years. They send a notice when due for 5 year inspection.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
bout 8 months and 4000 miles, I get on it more than I need to, the kids well I think they use about 1/8 of the HP.

On the trans when it goes, there is at least one company that makes billet input shafts and drums, mainly for jeep applications.

I have the smaller pulley so 60 to 80 RWHP should be about right. I did just pickup a ported TB so I'll port the lower intake and install the throttle body at the same time.

Overall, I ain't worried about the car, I check fuilds and tire pressure sometimes take it for a wash and an Italian Tune Up. It has performed just like a stock OEM install and has the same quality.

One thing I do like is in general FI or N2O drops the peak power by 500 RPM and this trans likes to shift at about 6000 RPM. So I have more usable power due to the lowering of the HP peak AND the trans will actually hold onto first to 6400 RPM, which it NEVER did NA.

·
Registered
2009 V6 Challenger
465 Posts
Good to see its working well for you. Let me know when your ready for a high stall. I have a 3400rpm 4spd stall collecting dust in the garage. No resonable offer refused.:)

·
Registered
2009 V6 Challenger
465 Posts
still got a broke 4 speed core? might need one soon....
I have a 2010 300 3.5 4spd low mileage on the shelf. It was going to be my next replacement before I gave up and swapped in the nag1. Tried selling locally with no luck.:cool: (Minnesota)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I thought I'd wait a good long time to get a feeling of the car with supercharger. Street behavior daily driving. The car is perfectly behaved. Power comes on linearly and the engine pulls cleanly to redline. The exhaust is actually slightly louder under boost, I have a stock 2012 R/T auto exhaust. The engine / supercharger performance is equivalent to an OEM setup.
Overall handling. The supercharger is only 28 lbs, and this is easily offset by getting a lighter battery.
bout 8 months and 4000 miles, I get on it more than I need to, On the trans when it goes, there is at least one company that makes billet input shafts and drums, mainly for jeep applications.

I have the smaller pulley so 60 to 80 RWHP should be about right. I did just pickup a ported TB so I'll port the lower intake and install the throttle body at the same time.

Overall, I ain't worried about the car, I check fuilds and tire pressure sometimes take it for a wash and an Italian Tune Up. It has performed just like a stock OEM install and has the same quality.

One thing I do like is in general FI or N2O drops the peak power by 500 RPM and this trans likes to shift at about 6000 RPM. So I have more usable power due to the lowering of the HP peak AND the trans will actually hold onto first to 6400 RPM, which it NEVER did NA.
I love driving mine pulling up to a red light floor it and the rear end breaks loose and slides left squeeling the tires hitting 6.4, without power breaking! Adding 60-80 more HP would be 1 wild ride, if I could easily remove the SC for trips to the dealership and keep the warranty...
I've been with the 3.5 4 speed for 5 years now and I'm here to confess to you all that I've been in the dark side. Yep.. I've converted! To a 5 speed...

Now that I have a trans that for sure will not die, I'll be looking into:
High stall, should have put that in during conversion ... but oh well.
an aluminum diff with 3.9 or 4.1 gears
and oh, just for grins I probably go for the high boost wheel and pulley!

Has anybody with 5 speed put in the aluminum diff???
After 5 years with the Chrysler 4-speed built and tuned to the 3.5 and 4000 miles with the SC on it is there a noticable drop in performance with the Mercedes NAG 5-speed? Every auto I had driven shifts into 2nd around 45, the 5 waits until 60 to hit 2nd? High revving V6 needs to hit the redline and get though the gears as fast as possible. With the 5-speed your car now weighs 3834(4-speed 3720) plus the SC and R/T dual exhaust close to 3900, oink, oink! You are going to need NOX to get the most out of that 600HP V12 5-speed! Are you going after the record? It took Chrysler 10 long years to build a car faster than the mighty 4-speed Prowler, the new 640 HP V10 STR Viper T/A#Time Attack) @ 11.4 2014 SRT Viper |Â*MotorWeek If a maxed out, stoked, SC, NOX 3.5 in a 2800 lb. Prowler runs 11.6 10 years ago, is there anyway a 5-speed 3900 Challenger can catch it? 4speedPROWLER FASTEST 3.5CAR Paxton-Blown Plymouth Prowler - Featured ... - Hot Rod Magazine , Mike Krehels 12.15 1/4 mile run , Mike Krehels New Record 11.655 @ 111.94 - YouTube

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You can whack about 30 to 40 lbs just by going to light weigh battery, losing some of the frills like the sound mat on the inside of the trunk, misc shields etc. But really 3800 is still on the lighter side for a Challenger. I'm not going further than a stall ( a few pounds lighter than stock) and keeping the 09 3.64s this should be more than enough for the kids to drive to HS.. On the exhaust I could do a Y pipe 3" into a single in dual out 98 Camaro SS muffler to twin tips saves about 10 lbs... but hey I can just loose 10 lbs from the gut...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts