Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the revised Barton Shifter yesterday and I was able to get it installed and tested today. The revised shifter included a revised dust boot as well.

Fitment - The install on the second shifter went a lot smoother as the parts fit just like they needed to without having to force anything or without having to use any grease. If you follow the install video you will not have any problems installing the shifter.

Noise - As far as the noise goes on a scale of 1 -10 I would say the revised shifter has a noise factor of about a 3 - 4 vs. 9 on the initial one. Barton did supply me with new rear mount bushing that I can install but to me the noise is acceptable vs. to the way it was before.

I think everyone that is on the pre-order list to receive the new shifter will be very pleased with the revised shifter. This shifter is very well built and my hat goes off to Barton for making a quick revision to the product.

This is a very well made product!!! If you are not on the pre-order list I would recommend you to get signed up but, only do it once as they have had several folks signing up 2 and 3 times and it could cause delays.

Anyone that has any questions feel free to dire away.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant wait to get mine. Glad to hear the issues are cleared up. I see that customer service will not be a problem with these guys.

Terry
These are stand-up guys and you can feel very confident that you will receive a quality USA made product with outstanding customer service.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How hard is it to remove those 2 clip pins. The video makes it seem easy. I'm sure its a pita to get your hand/fingers in there. I would hate to drop one of those pins with my clumsy fingers. Any tricks/suggestions?

·
Registered
449 Posts
unfortunately I am unable to drive a stick due to hip and leg damage from a motorcycle wreck but from what I've seen here this looks like the best thing on the market , sure wish I was able to bang gears would love to try and destroy one of these

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How hard is it to remove those 2 clip pins. The video makes it seem easy. I'm sure its a pita to get your hand/fingers in there. I would hate to drop one of those pins with my clumsy fingers. Any tricks/suggestions?
They are not hard at all. Just be patient and do no try to force them. You can also use a small alan wrench to help pull it in. if you drop one it will fall on the ground so you will be able to get it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you saying the revised one is quieter or noisier?
On a scale of 1 - 10 and ten being the loudest this one is about a 3.5 vs 9.5 it was before. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
unfortunately I am unable to drive a stick due to hip and leg damage from a motorcycle wreck but from what I've seen here this looks like the best thing on the market , sure wish I was able to bang gears would love to try and destroy one of these
I am sorry to hear that and hope you are doing OK. This is by the best shifter I have ever installed.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I am sorry to hear that and hope you are doing OK. This is by the best shifter I have ever installed.
Weird, I put the new bushings in the rear block (red ones) and my shifter seems LOUDER than the initial unit. I'm thinking I should not of bought/reinstalled that new tunnel silencer. Before the shifter noise was there but the lack of the tunnel silencer made my exhaust louder, which drowned out the shifter noise. I'm going to open it up again this week and remove the tunnel silencer and see if that helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weird, I put the new bushings in the rear block (red ones) and my shifter seems LOUDER than the initial unit. Sounds like a gravel truck at times. I'm thinking I should not of bought/reinstalled that new tunnel silencer. Before the shifter noise was there but the lack of the tunnel silencer made my exhaust louder, which drowned out the shifter noise. I'm going to open it up again this week and remove the tunnel silencer and see if that helps.
Hate to hear that Jay. I left the black bushings in and with the revised design mine is pretty quite to compared to before. My noise level (Scale 1 -10 where 10 is loudest) went from about a 9.5 to a about a 3.5. Do you think maybe you need to reinstall the black bushings?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Revised?

Revised? Already... I didn't even know it was out yet. What was wrong with it that it had to be revised? Did you have to pay for the revision or was it supplied by Barton at no cost?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Some models had a problem with alignment. Barton took care of the problem and have stated that any revision after sale will be taken care of by them.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Hate to hear that Jay. I left the black bushings in and with the revised design mine is pretty quite to compared to before. My noise level (Scale 1 -10 where 10 is loudest) went from about a 9.5 to a about a 3.5. Do you think maybe you need to reinstall the black bushings?
I don't understand, from what they told me that red bushings were supposed to make the unit QUIETER. I really would hate it open that up again for that. I will try removing the tunnel silencer first and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Revised? Already... I didn't even know it was out yet. What was wrong with it that it had to be revised? Did you have to pay for the revision or was it supplied by Barton at no cost?
There were 5 initially sent out to be tested in different year models. A few of us found the tunnel covers different from the vehicle they used to make the shifter so they revised it prior to releasing. The shifter is built like a tank and is the best shifter I have ever owned.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There were 5 initially sent out to be tested in different year models. A few of us found the tunnel covers different from the vehicle they used to make the shifter so they revised it prior to releasing. The shifter is built like a tank and is the best shifter I have ever owned.
Nice! I'm just glad they owned up to their imperfections at no charge to the customer...unlike another certain company that we all know...all though so far I love it with zero issues but too soon to tell.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I think I might of found the problem. I had some time this morning to pop the shift boot off and decided to retightening the whole thing, the two bolts that go to the handle and the eight that hold the shifter top together. They are all very tight and I noticed less noise. I'm guessing something was a little loose.

It's much quieter now. Still there is a SLIGHT whirring sound at some speeds but it's not really a big deal. I jumped to conclusions too quick sorry about that. Shifter is performing great. Just remember to make sure all twelve of those bolts are TIGHT. If anything is a little loose that will transmit more noise into the cabin.

I may just keep it as it is, I'm very happy. If it comes back or annoys me again I will just remove the tunnel silencer and let my Zoomers speak over them. :bigmouth:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
jay

they might have loosened up on ya on the way home a bit.. i would put a drop of blue loctite on them just to make sure they STAY TIGHT.

glad it is working better for you
chris

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
jay

they might have loosened up on ya on the way home a bit.. i would put a drop of blue loctite on them just to make sure they STAY TIGHT.

glad it is working better for you
chris
That's a great idea Chris! I'll pick up some blue locktite and redo all 8 bolts. That ought to hold 'em!! :smokin: Thanks again for being a good friend, and let me know how that shifter works for ya once you get the other parts. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts