Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I will be there all day Saturday, unless mother nature has other plans. I wanted to park in the non-judged Fun Field but missed the registration deadline. Hopefully, the Hellcat will make an appearance.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Looks like its going to rain starting Thursday and keep raining each day.I was going to bring my superbird out but not going to if it rains Hope the wheater changes.Go to RT 79 to go creasing in heath a lot better than Brice Rd

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Where in reynoldsburg does this take place?
I believe he is talking about National Trails Raceway in Kirkersville, at least thats where the Nationals are being held next weekend.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the Trails I have to work 6 to 6 Thursday through Saturday but hope to make it out Saturday night. If it rains I'm out also. I bet the hellcat will be there. Never been but a friend has an header orange charger charger and keeps pestering me to go.

·
Registered
667 Posts
In the last few years "Chrysler" has been a no show at the Nationals. Very disappointing to Mopar fans that Chrysler does not support the biggest show dedicated to their products. Heck Chrysler made them change their name from the "Mopar Nationals" to the "Nationals" ????

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Right now Channel 10 is showing a 10% chance of rain for Thursday through Saturday. Of course, it is Ohio, that is subject to change, but we can hope.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I grew up in Pickerington and when I was a kid, Mopars would invade that part of town. Cruises down Brice rd....throwing things at non Mopars (really not cool).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Been going since 1991. Never heard them called the Reynoldsburg Mopar Nationals before. In my experience, the people cruising in the evening are mostly not the ones causing trouble. More than not it's the spectators. They've mostly moved out to Heath for evening cruising the last few years.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
lLATE NEWS 8 4 2014 This mite be the last year for the mopar nats in kirkerville THEY ARE MOVEING TO NORWALK OHIO STARTING NEXT YEAR. And another thing they are going to do in HEATH this year the police are goong to give tickets out to people that throw water on the street and only the curb lanes are going to be open and know left turns and going to give a lot of tickets out for burnouts They are chaseing us away and if its true this is the last year here so the police don't care anyway

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
If they move, then they move, I just wont be making the trip then, no biggie.

I emailed them last week about the $40 one-day Fun Field single day entry that is mentioned right on the Nats site, and whoever replied told me that it was just for general admission (spectator prices are mentioned later in that paragraph). There were some modern Challengers parked on the West side of the track last year, I hoped to get in there, but did not want to commit to being there all 3 days.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I guess most people don't care if they move from national trails to norwalk I do because it is very close for me.If they move to Norwalk I will not take my car up there.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger RT Classic
4,364 Posts
By moving it that won't solve anything. You will simply move the # of people causing the issues to another venue/town. The few ruin it for the masses. The 'Cruise' moved from Brice road to Heath because of this.

From the Newark newspaper:

Mopar event in jeopardy of moving

By Kent Mallett

Advocate Reporter

HEATH — Safety concerns about this weekend’s Super Cruise on Hebron Road might jeopardize the future of Mopar Nationals at National Trail Raceway.

A Mopar participant from West Salem said he received a Mopar survey asking whether he prefers the event move to Indy Raceway Park in Indianapolis, the Columbus fairgrounds, Summit Raceway Park in Norwalk or remain at National Trail Raceway.

Mopar drivers and fans come to Heath after the daytime races in Hebron. Drivers come to show off their cars, while spectators line the streets to watch.

The 34th annual event begins Friday at National Trail Raceway, in Hebron.

Ron Cook, the West Salem resident, said a survey the past two years asked participants to choose between Indianapolis and National Trail Raceway, but four choices appeared this year. The additional choices, he said,

See MOPAR, Page 4A
Article Continued Below

Continued from Page 1A

make it seem like a move is possible.

“I would hate to see it leave your area,” Cook wrote in a letter to The Advocate. “The reason it left Indy was the stricter rules on cruising, more and more tickets.”

Dan Moder, executive director of the Greater Licking County Convention and Visitors Bureau, said Mopar Nationals has an estimated total economic benefit of $7.6 million, with 45,000 attendees and 2,800 hotel room nights.

“The impact is huge,” Moder said. “From a CVB standpoint, we’d love to keep it here. It kind of makes the month of August. You can’t find an open room anywhere in this town during Mopar weekend.

“They really do visit all of our other local venues. We’d hate to see it ever move.”

Cook said local people in non-Mopar cars have taken up most of the parking spaces and get involved in cruising Hebron Road, making it so congested nobody can move.

“Everybody wants to come and watch them and a lot of people want to get involved and squeal tires, and that’s when the cops get involved and we lost all the fun,” Cook said.

“It’s great to have local support, but we need to figure out a way to come in and show the cars off.”

Mayor Mark Johns, who announced plans to reduce Hebron Road to one lane in each direction to create a buffer between fans and cars, said he is working on other changes to make it a better, safer event next year.

“Preliminary discussions have begun on trying to craft an environment that will allow these cars to be viewed while not having the safety concerns we’re currently dealing with,” Johns said.

The mayor said he knows most of the problems are created not by the out-of-town Mopar participants but rather by local people joining in.

Asked about an organized parade on 30th Street, like this year’s event for military veterans, John said: “That’s certainly an idea.”

“We want the folks from out of town to have a good time,” Johns said. “There are already Mopar folks who aren’t liking the environment of it. We recognize that.”

National Trail Raceway manager Mike Fornataro said the Super Cruise has turned into something much different than what it was years ago and could cause the entire race to move.

“If it becomes the nofun zone when they’re here, sure, it could leave,” Fornataro said.

“This is why they left Indy, because of the ridiculous, over-the-top enforcement.

“The night-life is an important part of Mopar Nationals, and the Super Cruise is not fun anymore. It’d be my recommendation that nobody go to Heath. They could go to the Tri-County Chrysler (party), but not any further.”

The most popular cruising area has been from Hopewell Drive to Andover Road, where the lane restrictions will be in place from 6 p.m. to about midnight Friday and Saturday.

Cook suggested maybe closing down North 21st Street in Newark for cruising and letting local people travel back roads to avoid the area.

“I would like to see everyone come together and make this the best place to hold the Mopar Nats, starting with this year, or run the risk of losing them,” Cook said.

[email protected] advocate.com 740-328-8545 Twitter: @kmallett1958

·
Registered
521 Posts
Don't see it happening. Norwalk is out in me middle of nowhere, and while a nice facility doesn't seem to have the same amount of space as national trail.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hey Butterscotch71 How have you been What car are you bring the challenger or road runner Iam planning on bringing my superbird if everything goes well.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey Butterscotch71 How have you been What car are you bring the challenger or road runner Iam planning on bringing my superbird if everything goes well.
Hey HemiB5. I don't think I'll be bringing a car this year. We have a couple swap meet spaces. I don't think I've seen your superbird. What color is it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts