Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always worried when parking anywhere other than my own garage. I've seen so many Challengers with door dents along the crease line and I heard that sometimes the PDR guys can't remove those types of dents. So I got to thinking of a solution:

If I took the door panel off, reached inside the exterior door frame and sprayed Rhino liner along the crease line could it prevent door dings?

I read a little about cars that have been fully Rhino lined and they say that is strong enough to prevent minor dents. I'm only considering this because I'll be keeping my Scat Pack forever. Let me know what you guys think and if you've used any Line-X or Rhino liner on you cars.

I grabbed a few pics off a Google search to show you what I'm trying to prevent.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Rhino liner would only help if it were on the exterior but, obviously, you cannot do that. I doubt that it would do anything if applied to the interior of the door. Even if it made the sheet metal a little more rigid, it wouldn't prevent paint chips.

Why not be super careful where you park your Challenger?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It might help by making the sheet metal a little more rigid, but it won't prevent paint chips.

Why not be super careful where you park your Challenger?

Some asshats like to part right next to you just to be jerks. I have parked in the back of the lot before just to have a PoS car park right next to me and giggle.

Those dents make me cringe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
No, Rhino liner won't prevent dents.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a set of door shox to put on the car, but I was hoping this option would work as well. I always park in the back, but you always get that one A-hole that likes to park insanely close for no reason.

I guess I'll just have to find me a PDR guy until doors are made out of rubber

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
...I heard that sometimes the PDR guys can't remove those types of dents.

If I ...sprayed Rhino liner along the crease line could it prevent door dings?

...I READ A LITTLE about cars that have been fully Rhino lined and they say that is strong enough to prevent minor dents.
I was an auto body man for some time, so here goes: Looking at the three items I highlighted above

You heard right, sometimes paintless dent repair guys can't repair these types of dents. Yours are pretty serious.

Rhino liner: don't waste your time. It won't prevent dents like yours. However, refusing to park your baby anywhere near other cars at Walmart will indeed prevent dents. If you don't plan on visiting the body shop again, get used to walking a little in the future. The exercise is good for both your body and that of your Challenger. This thread had some great advice CLICKY HERE

You said, "I read a little." Not sure where you read that, but good thing you posted your question on THIS forum. As you know, stuff you read online can oft times be a waste of time.

Gary

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Forgot to mention that 2 of the 3 dents you have probably can't be fixed by a PDR man. Can it be done? Yes, but not in every case and not by every PDR man. Like mechanics, they're don't all have the same skills. The issue is always the paint. Sure the metal can be straightened, but can the paint take it without cracking and flaking? Obviously, the newer the car, the more likely that the paint is still pliable, but each car must be evaluated individually.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
If it's not a garage queen and you park it in public it's probably going to happen. I have no delusions of collectibility and will get the most out of my $36k car in smiles from usage.

I've had almost a dozen dings removed by PDR with 3 on the beltline. You might be able to find where one was. PDR is as much skill as art - find a trusted craftsman.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If it's not a garage queen and you park it in public it's probably going to happen. I have no delusions of collectibility and will get the most out of my $36k car in smiles from usage.

I've had almost a dozen dings removed by PDR with 3 on the beltline. You might be able to find where one was. PDR is as much skill as art - find a trusted craftsman.
You said, "It's probably going to happen." Every time you park next to ANYBODY ANYWHERE, you throw the dice; the more often you do it, the more likely what you just said here is true.

You said, "PDR is as much skill as art." True, but consider this: even the best PDR man can't fix certain dents. Cracking and chipping paint limits how much they can do. Paint can only take so much: there are limits. His job is to fix a dent without painting the panel. The skill of the PDR man helps, but even the best can't work miracles. The body man, on the other hand, can indeed fix just about anything. He's not limited by fears of damaging a perfect paint job, because he's going to repaint it anyway.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here is my body line dent (not a ding). PDR guy came and said forget it. USAA claim submitted. And now I have to do the whole passenger side of the car because of my billboard decals will have to be replaced. Lesson learned. Park FAR away from the a-holes and take a 2 minute walk to wherever I'm going.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Mr. Cheez
You said you had a set of "door shox" to put on the car. I had to google that because I've never heard of them. Ha... those things are hilarious looking. You got more guts than I do, putting something like that on your car in public. Fine, just my opinion, and I don't doubt that they'd work, but they sure are funny looking.

I can just imagine if I put those on my car that somebody might deliberately slam the car just to test the door shox. Just my luck...

Gary

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, the door shox look stupid, but whenever the parking lot walk is too far and I end up parking close I throw those on. They might draw attention, but so far no dents on either of my Challengers over the past 4 years. I also park most of the time near the end of the lot so one side of the car is protected. It's just frustrating that the doors ding so easily.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I can certainly appreciate that. Glad you found the shox.... amazing invention. Door dings: like I said, I've been so very fortunate over the years. I rarely ever park next to other cars just because I'm anal like that, but then I've never owned a car as expensive as a challenger. Hey... at least I get a lot of extra exercise. Tickles me when I'm right behind some moron that makes me wait forever while he eazes into that close up parking spot. I wiz by him to park 75 feet away where there are no cars, hop out and trot past him while he's trying to get his fat but out of his car sandwiched between two minivans. So much for saving time by parking close. Funny how people gotta park close and save 50 feet of walking so they can walk around 1/2 mile inside Walmart. DuHHHHH

Gary

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
If my car ever goes to a parking lot, it is at cruise night (Local Dairy Queen) or some where I am going to be in and out and they have a lot of windows (Subway or Pizza pick up) or if it is at a store, while out joy riding and wife asks to stop to pick something up, I drop her off at the door and I go park where I can see her come out. I usually get out and smoke a small cigar while I am waiting as I do not smoke in my cars. And on the couple times a year I bring it to work I have the same spot I always park in, and everyone I park near drives newer cars. I bought this car to "entertain" myself and have something to "play around with" not to use as a grocery go getter/work beater, we already have 2 of those.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just bought a new (to me) 2015 SRT 392 w/16k miles on the clock. It amazes me that this car doesn't have a single scratch, dimple, or even so much as a rock chip anywhere from bumper to bumper. The previous owner must have been a miracle worker. Is that even possible this day and age??? Wonder how he managed to park this car without any issues in over two years.

Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts