Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this cool video, in which Richard Petty gives a tour of his garage and a visitor gets a ride in his 1970 Superbird (7:25 min. mark). Turn up the sound and listen to this 426 beast!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
That's cool. Only the King could get away with his car on the road like that, imagine what they did back in the day.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,129 Posts
That's cool

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In viewing this video for the second time, I discovered something a little odd. Most of the gauges on the dashboard (i.e., rpm, water temp., oil temp. and oil pressure) are all rotated to different degrees. I guess this was done to make the more critical readings easier to see. Look at the 5:07 mark.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Pretty standard for most drivers on the gauges, they rotate them so that on the track up to temp and at speed all the needles would point straight up, no need to see the actual reading at 200 mph, straight up was good. Anything left or right was bad. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
Similarly it would have been better to have the tach clocked so that the redline was on the top portion. Basically turn the tach 90* counter clockwise.

The original E-body tachs were done in that matter. Redline was in the upper portion of the gauge face.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Similarly it would have been better to have the tach clocked so that the redline was on the top portion. Basically turn the tach 90* counter clockwise.

The original E-body tachs were done in that matter. Redline was in the upper portion of the gauge face.
wish ours was like that on the a8 manual sport mode 1st to 2nd. the torque monster hits the rpm limiter in a heart beat.
PS: anything with the KING in it is neat, a national treasure

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
wish ours was like that on the a8 manual sport mode 1st to 2nd. the torque monster hits the rpm limiter in a heart beat.
PS: anything with the KING in it is neat, a national treasure
Same with the M6 & 392 - I got on 1/4mi track for the first time this summer and you basically keep straight ahead and those upshifts @ redline come quickly. The 392 winds up quickly.

Before you know it, you're past the timer boards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts