Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.

I have a 2012 R/T Plus (6 speed) with STP. She's currently sitting on 18x8 Boss 338s wrapped in 245/55r18 Nittos.
First thing's first, I HAVE confirmed via VIN, differential gearing, and LSD that my car does have the STP option.
My spare tire is not in the vehicle, but my sub and roadside kit that I keep beneath the cover are comparable weight to the donut, so that is a non factor.

My question is in regards to ride height - After owning the car for a few years, it has become more and more noticeable to me that she sits pretty high. From reading the forums, it seems that the consensus regarding STP height is that it is similar (some say identical) to the SRT height for my year.

The rear panels sit exactly 3.1" above the tires, measured horizontally at the tread (tires are brand new). The front fenders measure almost exactly 2.25" above the tires, also measured horizontally. Left to right are identical, there is no odd droop or wear, I have her aligned every 3 months, and suspension from shocks to bushings are in great shape.

Apart from the height being relatively tall, nothing seems to be out of place. Is there some secret as to why my car might simply sit higher (especially in the rear) than other R/Ts and SRTs of the same generation?

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Maybe because you have 245/55 size tires and you’re comparing it to oem size plus you have 18” wheels. The STP RTs have identical ride height when comparing to the SRTs from 2011+

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The overall diameter of my 245/55r18s is the same as my 245/45r20s that they replaced. Those sizes measure 28.6" and 28.7" respectively, with a tiny margin of error for different brands.
The height was the same with my stock 20s, and is significantly higher than that of the SRT cars.

I'll try to grab a few photos, because they're worth a thousand words... I know descriptions can fall short, so I'll try to upload those.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Rear is on the left, front on the right. I used my key for scale.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
The overall diameter of my 245/55r18s is the same as my 245/45r20s that they replaced. Those sizes measure 28.6" and 28.7" respectively

I see. I may not be any help to you but maybe worth mentioning that the rear of those cars are between half and quarter of an inch higher from the factory. Maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other 2012 STP owners out there? :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a stock 2014 R/T with STP and it sits higher in the back.. I bought the car new and haven't done anything to the suspension. It has the stock 245-45-20 G/Year F1s. I like the old school rake. :smile:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the feedback, guys.

Jim, is it pretty close to the same height as mine? I don't mind it, I just wanted to make sure that something wasn't off about my car, such as the previous owner swapping out the struts/shocks with base model equivalent, or similar.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, guys.

Jim, is it pretty close to the same height as mine? I don't mind it, I just wanted to make sure that something wasn't off about my car, such as the previous owner swapping out the struts/shocks with base model equivalent, or similar.
Here's a pic of mine...... 2014 R/T w/STP.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thank you!

Oh yeah, mine appears to sit significantly higher than yours... I'd say as much as 1.5" in the rear, assuming that you're running stock tire size.

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
My 2016 SRT uses the same front springs as the 5.7L R/T with Super Track Pack, not sure if all SRT are like this but mine is, verified by spring codes on the build sheets.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim, thank you again! With the key, it looks very similar to mine in height... The photo showing front and rear appeared to sit lower than mine, though.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I really feel like mine sits higher than it should. I need to find a stock 392 sitting somewhere and park next to it, because this is driving me a little nuts.

Slidd, thank you as well! I am assuming that little changed in regards to suspension with the 2015 update, so the info should still ring true for both.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Jim, thank you again! With the key, it looks very similar to mine in height... The photo showing front and rear appeared to sit lower than mine, though.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I really feel like mine sits higher than it should. I need to find a stock 392 sitting somewhere and park next to it, because this is driving me a little nuts.

Slidd, thank you as well! I am assuming that little changed in regards to suspension with the 2015 update, so the info should still ring true for both.
You're correct.., your's is higher. Look closely at the key fobs in both pictures. Mine appears to show almost an inch (maybe a hair less) of LESS space between the top of the tire and the wheel well lip.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys!

Mine definitely sits higher... I'm going to have to take a closer look at my suspension now, because this is a little disheartening. I've taken advantage of the ride height, but it's never a good feeling to wonder if you've been ripped off in some manner.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Thank you guys!

Mine definitely sits higher... I'm going to have to take a closer look at my suspension now, because this is a little disheartening. I've taken advantage of the ride height, but it's never a good feeling to wonder if you've been ripped off in some manner.
Somewhere on this site is a link to a site that you can use to get the build sheet for your car. I can't find it right now, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, that matches the build sheet that I received directly from Chrysler. Everything is on the list, the car just sits higher than it should.

Now I need to throw it up on the lift and check some part numbers. Hopefully the previous owner didn't cheap out on replacement parts at some point, not that it should have needed anything before 40,000 miles anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts