Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2013 Dodge Challenger RT it has 75k miles on it. I have owned my car for 7 years and it has never given me a problem. Two years ago, however I was hit on the front passenger wheel base and the front passenger door. I have had my passenger door panel replaced along with a brand new wheel. Since then I have had frequent steering issues with my car. I have had my front control arms, all brakes, tires, struts, mounts, and springs all replaced recently. I still feel the car leaning the right ever so slightly. The front right side of my car feels very heavy as if something is pulling the hood down onto my wheel. When I shake the tire or the front fender I feel a vibration through the upper control arm. When I raise the paneling above my wheelbase with my hands, the vibration goes away. I have a small warping gap from the wheelbase to the hood. The steering wheel turns to the right slightly when backing out of my driveway as soon as the front end begins down the slope. Over bumps the steering wheel shimmy’s to the right and I have little to no steering returnability from right to left. When hitting a bump I can feel the front driver side bounce right and the passenger side bounce left. The rear tire and axle feels fine. When the right side of my car is turning over a higher slop on that side it tends to feel more normal. My alignment is correct and my car has been checked by many mechanics. No one can find a competent issue. I Just raised my tire pressure slightly to elevate that side of the vehicle resulting in the lean going away but I still get the same issue from the steering wheel. At times On the highway and on small roads i constantly have to hold the steering wheel on a slight angle to go straight but this is very random and tends to only happen after running the car for 20 minutes or more.

The only other information I have is when I had my alignment after my shocks and struts were replaced my steering wheel felt extremely tight and the wheels felt good for one day. One day later the lean came back. It almost feels as if my car is being forced tightened to maintain alignment.

Body shop looked at it with no issues found. I am not sure if my car was ever analyzed for frame alignment. Another suggestion was sway bar replacement.

Any thoughts ? I would hate to have to sell my car.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
407 Posts
....I have a small warping gap from the wheelbase to the hood... am not sure if my car was ever analyzed for frame alignment.....my car has been checked by many mechanics. No one can find a competent issue....Any thoughts ?
If the body panels aren't straight, then there is something crooked in the underlying structure. That is one of the first and most obvious signs of shoddy repair work. I am surprised none of the mechanics have flagged that as a possibility.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Needs to go to a quality independent collision shop and the entire car needs to be measured including suspension pick up points, a top end measurement and strut towers.

Your steering rack also should have been replaced if the wheel was hit. It's a mandatory replacement according to Dodge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Needs to go to an independent, quality collision shop and be measured including a top end measurement.

Your steering rack also should have been replaced if the wheel was hit. It's a mandatory replacement according to Dodge.
Is that documented somewhere that I could reference that? Good info. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer name? Take a tech for a ride to confirm these drivability issues.
Heritage. I did but no one notices anything. I was even getting heavy vibrations from the engine and they didn’t notice anything. After getting shocks and struts it went away though. Tried Faulkner and they said I need a whole new rear end but that didn’t make sense. The front passenger is what is out of wack.

·
Premium Member
9,459 Posts
Get it measured on a frame machine, if it’s tweaked the repairing dealership should be made to correct it. Who’s insurance covered this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get it measured on a frame machine, if it’s tweaked the repairing dealership should be made to correct it. Who’s insurance covered this?
Allstate. The collision center that repaired it was not affiliated with dodge. I looked on Mopar and there’s a Faulkner collision center that is certified. The dealer also has a frame machine.

·
Premium Member
9,459 Posts
This is like a house built on a crooked foundation, unless it’s level and square the building above it will never be straight. Everything would be off in some way as a compromise to get it to fit together.
I once got hit by a driver with Allstate and he got a ticket for running a stop sign and they still tried to not pay the claim, in the end the judge made them pay. The paying company tries their hardest to outlay the least amount of money they can so maybe the repairing facility didn’t get it back to spec 100%.
The first thing to do to verify you’re working with a solid base is to get
It all measured. You can’t just keep putting parts in and not getting solid results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Called Faulkner collision. Stated would not look at my car as cars do not actually have frames so frame damage isn’t likely. Feel like I am on a different planet. Insurance company is reopening claim.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Called Faulkner collision. Stated would not look at my car as cars do not actually have frames so frame damage isn’t likely. Feel like I am on a different planet. Insurance company is reopening claim.
While "technically" true as modern cars to not have "frames" in the strictest sense all cars have a chassis or tub to which critical engine and running gear fasten to along with body panels.

The shop should have known what you were referring to. Was this the shop that repaired the car? (I have not read the previous posts so I hope this hasn't been discussed.) If so it might explain its attitude.

You need to find another shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was not the same shop but apparently they were together at one time so that was my sense as well. There’s a shop in Hershey I reached out to and also my dealership does collision repair. Debating which to choose. Seems that many body shops want nothing to do with a car that has a precious claim. I also feel a little uneasy going to the dealer since they could not recommend any of this on their own but I guess mechanics have these days are not as good as the veterans. Everything is apparently computerized. When i recommended replacing my struts springs they said my rise height was fine. At the time it was a half inch off. During the repair they called me said I had a compressed strut mount. They replaced that as well. Ride height is much better but i still get a dead feeling on that side of the car as if it’s not working with the rest of the vehicle. I asked if they could adjust the suspension or camber and they recommended against that.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It was not the same shop but apparently they were together at one time so that was my sense as well. There’s a shop in Hershey I reached out to and also my dealership does collision repair. Debating which to choose. Seems that many body shops want nothing to do with a car that has a precious claim. I also feel a little uneasy going to the dealer since they could not recommend any of this on their own but I guess mechanics have these days are not as good as the veterans. Everything is apparently computerized. When i recommended replacing my struts springs they said my rise height was fine. At the time it was a half inch off. During the repair they called me said I had a compressed strut mount. They replaced that as well. Ride height is much better but i still get a dead feeling on that side of the car as if it’s not working with the rest of the vehicle. I asked if they could adjust the suspension or camber and they recommended against that.
Some dealers might offer good collision repair but collision repair and the type of repairs the service department do are different obviously.

My preference would be to find a highly recommended collision repair shop. If the dealer won't recommend one call around to other dealers, and not necessarily Dodge dealers either, try to learn what shop or shops other dealers recommend to their customers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scheduled later this month for frame measurements. Here’s the gap in the hood compared to right. Wheelbase covering coming undone. Screw shown very loose.
hopefully something is found

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Scheduled later this month for frame measurements. Here’s the gap in the hood compared to right. Wheelbase covering coming undone. Screw shown very loose.
hopefully something is found

View attachment 998221 View attachment 998222 View attachment 998223
Body panel gap differences can be just bad manufacturing. The word I get from a body shop buddy is quite a few auto makers are a bit "lax" in their maintenance of the jigs/fixtures used to build the body panels like the trunk and rear lid. The result is the trunk and rear lid do not always have uniform gaps.

Still that doesn't mean it is not a sign of a bent chassis/tub or "frame".

The loose wheel well fastener can be even less a sign of a bent chassis/tub or frame. Could be whoever installed that fastener just forgot to tighten it properly.

But for peace of mind I think you need to proceed and have the car sanity checked for straightness. The body shop should know what to check to get to the heart of the matter in the least amount of time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Began experiencing hood vibrations over a bumpy highway today. Noticing the steering (Not the wheel) feels tight going from right to left. As the Right front evens out Over slopes it then gets tight left to right. Vibrations under floor board and felt through the steering wheel but the steering wheel itself is not vibrating.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts