Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Began experiencing hood vibrations over a bumpy highway today. Noticing the steering (Not the wheel) feels tight going from right to left. As the Right front evens out Over slopes it then gets tight left to right. Vibrations under floor board and felt through the steering wheel but the steering wheel itself is not vibrating.
If you are accurate in that only the door and wheel got replaced after the hit to the car there is likely some damage to the chassis/tub. It is not unknown for an insurance company to make it difficult to impossible for a body shop to check for this. Some body shops owe a great deal to the business they do just because they have a relationship with a particular insurance company. One body shop owner I knew told me he got 40% of his business from one insurance company and its referrals to use his shop.

Even if the chassis/tub escaped unscathed there are some suspension and steering components that might have suffered damage.

If it is not clear to you I think to get to the bottom of the behaviors you are experiencing you need to have a good body shop take a hard look at the car essentially looking for signs of damage that was not addressed. One sign is the alignment being off and a lot or the alignment may be close to or even "ok" but all the alignment setting adjustment has been used up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you are accurate in that only the door and wheel got replaced after the hit to the car there is likely some damage to the chassis/tub. It is not unknown for an insurance company to make it difficult to impossible for a body shop to check for this. Some body shops owe a great deal to the business they do just because they have a relationship with a particular insurance company. One body shop owner I knew told me he got 40% of his business from one insurance company and its referrals to use his shop.

Even if the chassis/tub escaped unscathed there are some suspension and steering components that might have suffered damage.

If it is not clear to you I think to get to the bottom of the behaviors you are experiencing you need to have a good body shop take a hard look at the car essentially looking for signs of damage that was not addressed. One sign is the alignment being off and a lot or the alignment may be close to or even "ok" but all the alignment setting adjustment has been used up.
Thank you. I agree. One final piece that will be checked out will be my upper control arm. I was informed that an upper control arm could impact ride height if installed while the hood was pressed down. A collapsed strut mount, which I had, may have provided this unique circumstance. The tech had a hard time getting it to fit which was concerning. The issues do appear to be more top to bottom of the car. This upper control arm also has some vibration to it upon wheel and body movement that the otherside does not have. I

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update. Body shop cancelled looking at my vehicle for frame damage. Need to find another one. Also contacted the original
Repair shop and he agreed he does not think there’s frame damage. So one thing I have noticed is my car is off a half an inch again in height on the passenger side. I had a collapsed mount pad that caused this. If this is the case again is it possible pre load is bringing the height of my car down on that side? When trying the life the paneling from the wheelbase, obviously each side will raise some, but one noticeable difference is the passenger side springs seems to go up and come back down. The driver side one seems fully expanded and does not move when lifting the paneling. I notice the control arm on the passenger side feels very stiff and I know it was not a dodge or Mopar part. Thoughts on this being the issue?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,893 Posts
When the body shop did the repair and parts replacement, I’m guessing they just replaced the one strut on the right side. That’s standard operating procedure for a body shop repairing collision damage. But if the left one is significantly older and/or has more miles, the two struts won’t behave the same when you drive the car.

Could this be a contributing factor here?

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Just take it to a good body shop, not the same one over and over again. Tell them it "feels funny" and pay them to diagnosis it and fix it, either that or trade it in and move on to a 2020.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Why would they cancel on you? It’s a paying visit, not a freebie. Very odd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So interestingly enough when driving my car out of my driveway I stopped the car when I began feeling the steering wheel move on it own. It doesn’t move much, in fact the wheels don’t move at all. I parked the car got out and shook the passenger control arm. It moved left to right freely with a knocking sound. Driver side didn’t budge. Parked car and the passenger control arm felt normal again. Both my struts were replaced but seems to be something in that area. I forgot to mention when I was hit I was hit on the passenger door panel and the passenger wheel. I was not hit on the front fender. Still a frame possibility with this info? I have one I found that does laser measurements he would take a flat payment. Everyone else so far wants nothing to do with it. Very frustrating for me also. Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
345 Posts
I would try using Yelp to find a highly rated body shop if you aren’t happy with the service you’ve received so far.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
1/2" an inch ride height from left to right sounds normal. In theory, the driver side should be higher when in occupied

21 - 29 of 29 Posts